NOVEMBER CRUISING

SPEEDTRIPLE

Hi all,

We1ll be on Lightning for a week in early November. We`ve never been on the Broads in November, so what`s it like, and what`s still open?. I`m particularly interrested in places like Geldeston, Rockland, Reedham etc etc, as i know a lot of the pubs are seasonal. I`d imagine that Oulton broad yacht station would still be open, but what about things like toilets and showers, both there and WRC?.

It`s going to be a new experience for the Speedtriple crew, so all info would be greatly appreciated.

Also, will anybody else be afloat around that time?.

We often are on the boat in November and sometimes in December,most pubs are open,but may go to winter openings,I would advice to phone ahead to check timings.Marina said the ys at Oulton will take moorings,but showers are unavailable,also the same at Norwich ys.Not sure about WRC.

It is however worth the trip on the river,we hope to be on the river dependent on weather late November.

Ian

• Like 2

It's probably as close to heaven as you can get Neil... Dead quiet... moorings everywhere.. empty pubs. We will be out all winter this year and are even planning christmas and new years on Orca (we didn't spend £1500 on heating for nothing!!).. can't wait!! See you there ;)

• Like 3

If you have gas warm air heating, use propane not butane in the cooler months, we got caught out once with that.

It gets darker earlier in the evening so a shorter cruising day, so plan your cruising carefully, but you shouldn't have problems mooring up at popular places.

Plenty of tap water around too.

You will find darker evenings, mean more electric usage for longer periods in the evening, so rather than use British Summer Time, or GMT, go by Norfolk Local Time, when it gets dark... go to bed, when it gets light, get up. lol

Unless you are moored next to a pub ...lol.

• Like 3

If you have facility to plug in get a 2kw radiator & check out all the electric point moorings - brilliant and will keep you nice and toasty. Watch that quay heading it can be very slippy later in the year. Does sound lovely and enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Neil,

We have had the last week in the boats official season into the first  and into the second week of December on a number of occasions, as already stated this is a magic time on the Broads.

The picture used for my avatar was taken on the 25th November at Ranworth Staithe, we were the only boat moored there. Please see the picture below.

You will need to make sure you have topped up your supply of the B.A. electric cards, have backup comfort food, soups, potatoes for putting in the oven together with sausages, bacon etc.

Plenty of warm clothing, the old water bottles and fleeces.

Some of the public toilets do close in October, some pubs do operate on shorter hours, likewise Broom's also work shorter hours over the weekend, if you have to refuel or pump out, it is wise to phone them to find out if they are closing early, usually they finish by 4.00pm on Sunday afternoons out of season (I have known them close earlier).

We once were sat in brilliant sunshine on the back of the boat at the Bridge at Acle in early December. We saw black swans at Salhouse Broad out of season and the rivers can be full of birds that have flown in for the winter.

Have a great time and let us know how your out of season week works out.

Regards

Alan

post-568-0-76457900-1435561925_thumb.jpg

• Like 4