A week on Silver Solano (Sirocco)

Day One - 13 June 2015

This is the first time we had hired some Silverline and also the first time we had hired from a boatyard on the Southern Broads. Silverline are almost all booked up many months in advance so we were lucky to get this boat at short notice.

It was raining and we were a bit muddy. Our first impression of the boat was that we didn't want to go in because we would get mud on the carpet. The boat was absolutely spotless and felt like new. When we were told the boat was over 10 years old we couldn't believe it.

It was clear to us what pride and care the boatyard takes. We had a smooth handover and, having stocked up at Sainsburys near Thorpe on the way, we were ready to go.

We didn't plan on doing a lot on this holiday so apologies in advance for the rather limited number of places we go to! It won't be the best holiday diary. We come to the Broads regularly, usually for around 4-5 weeks a year. Sometimes we feel like exploring and other times we pick a couple of places only and take it easy.

So our destination was Coldham Hall! All of 5 minutes away from the boatyard.

We were just about to moor up and all hell broke loose. There were reserved signs up and so we kindly moored outside of those areas. We were just about to moor when somebody came running over to tell us we couldn't more there as that area was also reserved (albeit with no sign!). So we moved along as requested by our fellow boaters.

So then we were trying to moor for a second time when another boat started to yell at us as well. He wanted help mooring up. A strange time to ask for help when somebody is dealing with their own boat! After a stressed exchange of "yes we will help but let us get sorted ourselves first", my other half started to give instructions. A couple of things became clear, the man was on his own on a massive boat (fine) but he was extremely drunk. Now we can drink and I certainly won't judge people for letting their hair down on holiday, but this was dangerous. The man couldn't follow basic instructions like "forward". After bumping us a couple of times, my other half took matters in to his own hands and got on the boat and moored it for him (with help on the ground from the people who had asked us to move).

The man was so drunk he was incoherent. Very dangerous behaviour but no harm done (this time).

So after all this excitement we chilled out for a bit before heading to Coldham Hall. We have never been here before but have heard great things about it.

First impressions were that it was very busy (promising) and a stunning setting. The menu is interesting. Some pub classics so it will suit most people but also some creative dishes too. We went for a meat platter which was five small dishes (wings, meatballs, chilli con carne, pulled pork and BBQ beans. All really well cooked and it was a great food experience to share 5 small dishes.

We were very tired and had said we were having a quiet night. That didn't happen. We were there until closing. A good start to our holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

They certainly are. I won't criticise other boatyards but we were shocked at how new Solano felt. We have been on new boats but this felt even newer somehow. Immaculate and great service as well. We would definitely hire from Silverline again if they ever have availability!

Day 2 - 14 June 2015

We weren't too hungover. I find the fresh air of the Broads clears my head! The bed was comfy although the pillows weren't up to much. It was raining but it was lovely. It is one if my favourite aspects of the Broads - waking up to the sound of rain on the boat. It gives the place a certain atmosphere.

After a relaxed breakfast we set off on our way. Destination Oulton Broad. The engine was so quiet, not at all fast but that is a good thing - you definitely could not speed on this boat even with the tide.

We rang ahead and managed to book a mooring with shore power on the pontoon. After a lovely cruise we were then treated to another of my favourite things on the broads - the moment you see Oulton Broad for the first time. Absolutely stunning no matter how many times you have been there.

So on to the mooring. No drunk men to help out this time thankfully.

And so we were settled in one of our favourite places. We had a wander around the town until it started to rain. It is sad to see the butchers has now shut down.

We ordered a Chinese from Magic Wok for tea - it was superb as ever. And then we settled down for a quiet night with a dvd. The TV is in a strange position - it is very low down. Not the end of the world but everything else on the boat was spot on so we noticed this.

It was also freezing so blankets out! Given the current heatwave that feels like a distant memory!

• Like 4

Can't agree more Biscuiteer, we hired from Silverline (Elegance) back in april an the service was second to none, I also won't criticise other yards as we have had some great service from a good number of them.

We had intended it to be a one off hiring this boat as we usually hire the older boats (and love them) but the whole experience with Silverline was so good and the boat was fantastic that we booked again for next April as soon as we got home.

We'll be back in September but on a different boat from a differnt yard.

• Like 4

Day 3 - 15th June 2015

We woke up refreshed after a good night's sleep. We had decided to stay put in Oulton Broad for the night so we set about exploring.

We had planned on heading to the steak restaurant Tides for our tea but as we walked past there was a sign up saying it was shut because of a staff shortage. Gutted!

So we decided to explore and find The Third Crossing which gets excellent reviews. It was lunchtime but we were short of an evening plan now so we were checking it out. It is based in Haven marina which we hadn't been to before. We set about walking there - not the best walk we have ever been on. It was through a deserted industrial estate. We finally get there and it is clear the place is quality. Lovely decor and the menu looked good. Live lobsters in a tank for those that like that sort of thing (we don't!!).

I think it would be great for those who are moored in the marina, but we decided not to stick around and headed back. If it had a pathway back along the broad we would be more interested. We had lunch in the Waveney which was superb. The grill selection is fantastic - I had grilled chicken and my other half had a mixed grill. Both excellent.

We headed back to the boat and I had an afternoon nap. The joys of not being in work!

We decided to explore in to Lowestoft. Quite a strange choice I expect most people will think but we had a sense of adventure about us. We got the train there and went to a few pubs. Some were ok, some were not. One near to the pier was lovely. Mission reasonably successful although I'm not sure we will be rushing back.

We got a train back and headed to Labone by the station. Absolutely superb again. Service and food both excellent. The Balti Raj has its work cut out competing with Labone.

And so back to the boat after another lovely day.

• Like 3

Sounds like you had a nice break - agree re the walk to the Third Crossing it is a bit strange. Do love Lowestoft - lots of hidden gems - the old town, the scores, the museum, the beaches and Ness point all fab & an even better way of getting there from Oulton Broad now via the ferry. Looking forwards to reading the rest of your trip!

Enjoying reading about your holiday Biscuiteer. We have thought about hiring from Silverline ourselves at some future point so it's good to hear other people's recommendations. Looking forward to reading how the rest of your week worked out.

Day 4 - 16th June

Oulton Broad used to be fantastic for fresh bread. We used to get it from the little shop by the Yacht Station but that closed down and then the butchers started selling it but that closed down too. Very sad to see.

We had heard from the locals that there is a great bakery in Carlton Colville so my other half was sent out to investigate. It is a bit of a mission by foot but not out of reach either. It really is an excellent bakery though so I would expect we will go there again.

And so after a lot of exploring yesterday we had a quiet day. We were planning on heading to Waveney River Centre. The problem is that I love Oulton Broad so much I didn't want to leave. It was a lovely night, very calm and clear skies. As we were leaving we were so sad we decided to mud weight.

This is a big breakthrough for us as we mud weighted a couple of years ago and a storm came out of nowhere and we were thrown around all over the place. It was pretty unnerving in the dark. I have refused to do it since. But my love of mudweighting and Oulton Broad has won in the end!

Such a peaceful way to spend an evening.

• Like 3

Day 5 - 17th June 2015

We had a great sleep - the water was calm and it was so quiet overnight, just the sounds of small waves against the boat and wildlife.

After 3 nights in Oulton Broad we were definitely leaving today!! Destination Waveney River Centre. We have never stayed here before although we have had a water stop here previously. From what I can remember, the place has changed so much.

We had a wander around the shop and checked out the pub for later. It's really nicely refurbished and is modern but with a warm feel as well.

After an afternoon nap for me, we headed to the pub for an early evening drink. We sat outside and the views were lovely. The food menu looks fairly standard but we got talking to the chef and it was clear they take great pride in their food. Everything is locally sourced and freshly cooked. We had a burger which was excellent. The other dishes we saw looked good too.

The service was excellent as well. We will definitely be back.

• Like 3

Day 6 - 18th June

It was a surprisingly noisy morning in the Waveney River Centre which woke us up too early. Engines running, people shouting instructions and just general noise. I would like to say it is part of the charm of boating but before 8am it is just annoying!

Anyway, rant over and on to our day. So we are at that point in the holiday where we have to face reality and plan our journey home. We haven't ventured far but on a Thursday with a return of Saturday, you can't suit yourself. We were thinking about Beccles but decided to head back to Oulton Broad instead. We were still after that steak in Tides.

We had a restful day at WRC before heading off around 4pm. So we were treated to the drive in to Oulton Broad for the second time this holiday. Stunning.

After mooring up in the harbour we set off on a mini pub crawl. We started in the Waveney, then on to Red Herring before a quick one in the Lady of the Lake which was a bit cool for us!

Then on to Tides. It was very quiet in there which was worrying but the food, as ever, was outstanding.

And then back to the boat and hopefully a lie in this time!!

• Like 3

Day 7 -19th June

The dreaded last day. You have a sense of wanting to make the most of the day combined with utter misery that you have to give your (lovely in this case) boat back the next day.

We had a quiet morning in Oulton Broad before heading after lunch to Reedham. We moored up and had fish and chips for tea (superb as always) and then relaxed for a bit. Relaxed for possibly a bit too long as then we headed for Surlingham Broad for the night but it was very nearly dark by the time we got there. Very nearly as well - torches out! But it was quiet and we took it steady.

And so engine off, mudweight down and just peace and quiet for the last time until we return!

We have booked again at the start of August and we are planning on heading a bit further this time, not least because we are coming during the school holidays and hiring from Ferry so we will definitely be heading to the southern Broads and almost certainly to (surprisingly) Oulton Broad!!

Until next time, Biscuiteer.

• Like 4

We are on Bronze Emblem from Ferry. We have been thinking about hiring Bronze for a while and we couldn't resist even though we normally avoid the very busy weeks in late July and August.

Very much looking forward to it.

• Like 2