Car Radiator Fan

Dunno about that, but I saw an article in Practical Boat Owner last year, where someone bought a computer fan and mounted it above his berth, to good effect, wired in to the 12 volt supply to his berth light. Very quiet, minimal draw on battery and kept him nice and cool at night by all accounts.

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

When I read the thread title I just thought that Jasper was a fan of car radiators. Now I know the real purpose of the thread, might I suggest that a wet t-shirt is a really good way to cool down.

Gracie take note, I hear the weather will be REALLY hot next time you're there   :)

• Like 2

Car radiator fans do take a lot of amps since they are designed to only run when the car engine is running – they are also blo@dy noisy things.

What you need to do is create positive air pressure in the boat – normally this annoys me with heating units as they are constantly heating very cold outside air not recycling warmer internal air but for cooling this is just the job.

By drawing in air from outside, especially in the evening it is usually cooler and less humid that air in the cabin – the positive pressure this ‘new’ air creates, conversely forces out air from the cabin through existing vents taking away warmer stale air.

The best way about this is indeed using computer CPU fans, they are cheap and larger models move a surprising amount of air – I would get two or three, and mount under a hatch, open window or door.  Use some cardboard and tape to figure our how best to mount and seal around the opening in which you are putting them, once satisfied you can make a more permanent solution.

A couple of fans like this:

post-534-0-22812400-1436434279_thumb.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002QVLBM2

would do just fine.

You may wish to consider using one of these:

post-534-0-17411700-1436434294_thumb.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S0Y9VOO

This is a water cooler system.  Extend the two water inlet and outlet hoses, place the part of the fan that would usually be against the computers CPU inside the coldest part of your fridge –  the water will then be cooled and you then have a rough air-conditioning system but since the surface area of the heat transfer part is small inside the fridge, it should not affect the temperature of the fridge adversely and still keep food cold.

Back to my original post. I used the Roys fan I think it was a Pifco so the wattage is minimal, it was plugged into the inverter socket on the boat. It worked a treat in temps reaching nearlly 90f. It did NOT flatten the battery. We put it on shut the doors while out on deck, and went in a bit later once it had done its job of cooling the saloon down. It was I think the boat Andy has at Freedom Holidays . It was called Sabre Princess then.

cheers Iain.

You could consider installing a water heater exchanger unit which costs about £80. The unit consists of a small radiator unit with a fan behind it and the unit is fed with coolant circulating from the engine this would help to keep the boat warm in cold weather however in the summer time if you installed shut off valves  in the system then the flow of hot water through the unit would be cut off and you could then use just the fan to circulate cool air through the boat. The units are readily available on the web and the speed of the fan can be controlled.