Out for a few days on Tumblehome

charlesa

I have bottled out from hiring a half decker for a few days to live on ! Instead I'll be on the North Broads from Monday through Thursday on Tumblehome from Martham Development, their recent addition. As per usual I will found in the reaches above Potter, notable Hickling, Horsey, Deep Dyke etc so please wave if you see me. I might venture back through the Bridge at some point in which case I will be making my way up the Ant, possibly via Womack to Irstead if I can moor there. However, if too manic on that side I will come straight back again. Never been on Tumblehome but it looks just my sort of boat.

Can anyone please advise me, route wise, coming from Hampshire whether it is better at the moment to slog all the way round the M25 to join the M11 at J27 or branch off early at 21A , cut through to the A1(M) and then cut across past Baldock/Royston and onto the A11 ?

Best wishes

Charles

Hi Charles,

Where in Hampshire are you?.  We`re in East Dorset about 4 miles from Ringwood, so this journey is a regular for us. 

We always leave nice and early, usually around 06.00, which sees us on the M25 before 07.30.  Then we go clockwise round to the M11 and up the A11.

Leaving early means we always seem to miss the traffic, and allows us plenty of time for a couple of comfort stops. W usually arrive in Norwich around 11.00, so divert down to Loddon for lunch at Rosie Leas.  Unless we stop off for lunch at the Hockham Eagle with a certain young man and his good lady that is?.

I did consider diverting off and trying another route, but we`ve only encountered a problem once, and that was last year when the A11 was blocked between the M11 and A14 at Newmarket, so we went further up the M11 to the end of the motorway and then along the A14. Apart from that, we`ve never had any problems.

I hope you have a good and safe journey.

Thank you Speedtriple, I live a mile off J5 M3 so a deal closer than you. I have had a couple of horrors on the M25 and hence the question. I think you're right, I'll set off crack of dawn and that should do the trick.

Best wishes

Charles

Btw, has anyone on this forum hired Tumblehome before ? The boat has only been in the Martham fleet for this season so I doubt it.

SPEEDTRIPLE said

.Leaving early means we always seem to miss the traffic, and allows us plenty of time for a couple of comfort stops. W usually arrive in Norwich around 11.00, so divert down to Loddon for lunch at Rosie Leas.  Unless we stop off for lunch at the Hockham Eagle with a certain young man and his good lady that is?.

You're very welcome to do that next time, Neil!  cheersbar

We quite often make the journey from Farnham, or more exactly Crondall to Stalham Norfolk via the Hook junction on the M3. We leave around 10am and have never been held up once going clockwise on the M25 and up the M11. I tell a lie we got rear ended whilst accessing the M25 once, And got caught up in a major accident in the first tunnel coming the other way. We were the first car to actually stop at the scene that didn't hit anything, that WAS scary. 3.5 to 4.00 hours without excessive speeding.

I should have started with hello Charles, and how are you.

Hi Jane,

I am sure the double is the dinette; in the link it mentions a single under the canopy.

Regards

Alan

cheers Alan!

(I recon I'd still like a week aboard tho!)

So (pardon another silly question!) is she guaranteed to go under PH bridge? And one would use the pilot still?

I do think she's rather gorgeous!

X

Jane

Didn't know so many forumites were so close, were are not far from junction 4a on the M3. We usually leave very early on the Friday morning to get to Lodden, park at Maffetts and walk in for lunch. Our favourite is Swallow. We will be on her August 7th for the week. Breaking with tradition and coming up night before though this time.

Swallow is a lovely boat plenty of room for two. Handles like a dream. Highly recommend it. Booked her for 2016 already. There is a step between the saloon and the rest of the boat, soon get used to it.

• Like 2

cheers Alan!

(I recon I'd still like a week aboard tho!)

So (pardon another silly question!) is she guaranteed to go under PH bridge? And one would use the pilot still?

I do think she's rather gorgeous!

X

Jane

Martham take their boats through the bridge themselves, you just need to ring the yard when you're close to the bridge and they'll come to you. 

No boat can be guaranteed to get under PH but I'm sure that Martham wouldn't have taken her into the fleet if there was likely to be an issue.  :smile:

Hello all and Jane in particular re Tumblehome.

Right I have just returned after 4 days on her. She is a lovely boat but I think that next time I will revert to Juliette or one of the Judith's. She is very small inside.

Up in the bow is actually rather a spacious loo/basin/tucked away shower hose, no sleeping here.

The saloon is pretty small and narrow containing the double dinette. I think that standing headroom must only be 5ft 10" ish so not ideal. The weather was dry the whole time and I always have the roof down unless there is a hurricane, so I spent almost all the time outside.It was pretty comfy to sleep on just for me but it looked fairly adequate for 2. There is a decent fridge, a 2 ring cooker and a lovely oak work surface.

The cockpit contains a decent seating area although this is somewhat compromised by the hood which folds back on to it. The engine is a recent Nanni diesel which starts and runs very easily. I wouldn't know about fuel consumption as I hardly went anywhere !

I think that Tumblehome is ideal for a long weekend in decent Spring/Summer weather but I wouldn't really want to spent a long time stuck inside.

Re airdraft , I don't know but I would be surprised if it didn't go under Potter 95% of the time, so maybe less than 6ft.

Best wishes

Charles

• Like 1

One thing that for me is 100% essential is to have a raised driving position. Tumblehome is good in that respect, as are Judith and Juliette. It is just my opinion but I could not abide being cooped up with a forward driving position where you can't see over the reeds or what is happening behind.

Bw

Charles

Hi Charles,

Yes agreed it is nice to be able to hire such craft, and see above the reads but on the other side of the coin, without the forward steering bathtubs, on one level, folks like me with knackered knees would not be able to come anymore.

cheers Iain