Clothing question

wooster

Hi all. Not really a "Broads related" query but I thought all you hardy sailors might know a thing or two about keeping warm and dry. 

I'm looking for a jacket to do me through the winter. Every now and again I get the urge, have a look around and end up buying nothing. I have an old fishing jacket which is waterproof, very warm with he inner fleece but suffers from condensation. Mobility isn't great, it's heavy, and if I fell in the water with it on it would not be good :shocked

I have a waterproof outer jacket which I wear over a fleece in colder months but the fleece isn't terribly warm and has seen better days - I bought it about 16 years ago! )

I quite fancy a good all rounder which is warm, comfy, showerproof and windproof. Warm and comfy are the main requirements here. 

I'm flexible on budget. Cheap is good but as it seems I only buy one every 16 years I would be willing to splash the cash. Any suggestions?

Edited by wooster

Thanks Iain. Might be what I'm looking for. Do you mean something like this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mizuno-Thermal-Fleece-Windproof-Jacket-Small/dp/B00FHAVW64/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1440542868&sr=8-9&keywords=thermal+golf+jackets

I'm not a golfer so never thought of that, but I guess it would make sense for general wear and while boating.

• Like 1

I have 2 windproof lined golfing jumpers, I use these for astronomy mid winter, when it gets really cold I wear both (one is the next size larger) they have a silk like lining that blocks the wind. mind you I also wear thermal long Johns and vest as it is usually well sub zero, with all this I sometimes have to take hat and gloves off to cool down.

Grendel

• Like 1

Some of the latest military clothing is really Gucci, can be picked up at a fraction of the cost of high street stores. A good technical black combat jacket usually around £50 and cant be beaten for durability and practicality.

S.

• Like 1

I have got a well worn Musto snug 5 years old expensive but still looks new, in fact thinking of buying something else 'cos l'm sick of wearing it.

It keeps out rain hail snow wind, the only thing I didn't like was the hood so I cut it off and us my 20 year old woolly hat.

Paul

I think mine were got at TK max - didnt pay a fortune.

Thanks. I will have a look. There's one near to where I live.

I'm inclining to the layers option so maybe the Musto snug isn't the best option for me, good jacket thought it seems to be. I'm not sure about getting the use in the warmer months.

Considering all the advice and re-appraising what I have, I reckon I can make do with the fleece I have combined with some thermal underwear so I'll look for either a golfing jacket or some other waterproof outer.

Continuing my search, I've found a Craghoppers Kiwi jacket which looks pretty good. It's a sombre colour which will also help with my other interest, birdwatching. I would be reluctant to be down the Kent Marshes with something a bit more outré :shocked

Any views on this jacket? Our recent weather has made me quite like the idea of having the hood.

Edited by wooster