Emigrating to Norfolk?

JennyMorgan

Statistics ,statistics, statistics!!! Those wonderful things that can be used to support almost any argument!!!!

As you say, it is still relatively cheap here, less expensive than some areas, more expensive than others!!!  Whatever that means   Quiet news day for the EDP more like!!

Over there, in the other place is a discussion regarding full residential status for ten moorings at the WRC. Somewhere or other I am sure I read about the Government wanting more homes afloat.

Could this be the start of a change of heart by the BA or could someone else pulling their strings? 

Don't you just love a conspiracy theory!

I wonder why I live in North Norfolk....

Oh I know it's not in a built up area and other than that it's the cheapest area of Norfolk..

and I wouldn't have been able to afford it back then Had I not spent 6 Years working in Saudi...

Not exactly news as I bought the house in 1999...

We're lucky that we bought our first house back in 1985 before the prices rocketed. I couldn't afford to move back into London where I grew up but we could certainly sell up in Essex and afford to buy in Norfolk and a lot of other parts of the country.

47 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We're lucky that we bought our first house back in 1985 before the prices rocketed. I couldn't afford to move back into London where I grew up but we could certainly sell up in Essex and afford to buy in Norfolk and a lot of other parts of the country.

House prices are a continual up-escalator though Jean, with the occasional "spurt"... :rolleyes:

I bought my first house in 1973, and the value had increased by 50% 5 years later when I sold it and bought the next. That one tripled in value in 11 years, when I sold it in 1989.

I was never able to afford a house in London, where I was born and  worked, but always had to commute, an average of 30 to 40 miles each way......

It is all relative. We lived in South Buckinghamshire before retirement so found Norfolk very cheap indeed especially as we did not need a large house like we had.

As someone pointed out in another place unaffordability is a product of poor education, qualifications, and low income not property's value that only reflects demand.

I put the money I released into closely monitored investments so the cash is there should we decide on a change to another really expensive area again. 

Also as TheQ has alluded to: Mobility is a quality recognized by employers that they must be prepared to pay a premium to secure.

I am afraid "I was born here and want to stay" finds little sympathy in a society where Givens have been replaced by Earned and whole sectors of traditional employment have vanished for ever.

The other evening my wife and I went to an amateur dramatics presentation in a nearby village. Unknown to us we had had sat in front of a group of immigrants from London and a few rows behind another. About a third of the way through the production the group behind us started complaining amongst themselves because they didn't understand the Suffolk accents. Come the interval the Londoners in front of us picked up on the comments from those behind us. Those in front stated that they had been up here for twenty years but that they still felt like outsiders, the ones behind us then stated that they felt that the locals resented them. Arch-typical Cockney Sparrows, I thought, but with such comments  they were hardly likely lightly to endear themselves to their fellow residents. I resisted comment at that time but Suffolk, and I suspect Norfolk people, do resent having their culture and character threatened by incomers.  

Cockney Sparrows tend to be loud, Norfolk & Suffolk folk tend to be more reserved. I don't suppose the Sparrows welcome the changes forced on their city by incomers determined to maintain their ways, us country folk are no different, why should we be? 

I had a good friend from London, a retired furrier from East London. I once asked him why he had moved up here, he responded by saying he had done so to get away from the immigrants in London. My response was to the effect of where did us country folk have to go to get away from such as himself. Harry, for that was his name, was genuinely surprised at my comment, saying that he was white, effectively saying that he didn't consider himself as an outsider or as an immigrant. I had to laugh and said to Harry that whilst his ways were different to that of the locals he would remain as an outsider, just that it was the way of things. To his dying day Harry remained staunchly proud as a Londoner, no desire to be or do otherwise. Harry, I miss you, my London friend, even though you lived here.

You can take the man out of the City but you can't take the City out of the man.

• Like 2

What???...Pardon????you What??? Oh Pardon me.  My first ever conversation in Norwich Market at 7am! They hadn't a clue what I was saying, and vice versa! :naughty: The Norfolk twang is light voiced,and fades away to nil, or did sound that way, then.

It has never stopped me coming doon though!

cheersIain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

We do tend to mumble, we even sing as we talk, but that is how proper English should be spoke!

I don't know JM if you knew a Peter Clarke, fleet manager at Porter & Haylett in the early 70's he moved on to Jack Powels International in the late 70's. 

He was quite a big bloke, but a very light Narfolk accent, soooo with my broad Ayrshire and his twang it was a very funny take over of my first hire on the Broads. It is still something I have looked forward to hearing on every holiday on the Broads. Its very much part of East Anglia is that Mumbled Twang! :naughty::clap

xmas6