New Head Brewer at Woodfordes

NorfolkNog

Some great news on the Woodfordes front. The previous Brewer was an ex Bass man and as such had a tendency  to brew beers in that style. However he has now left and the new Head Brewer is Belinda Jennings who used to brew at Adnams who produce beers with more character IMHO. 

Even better news is that Belinda is a hop fan so hopefully we may be starting to get some Woodfordes beers with some hops! I've been trying the new test beer Woodfordes 352 in Norwich over the weekend and was impressed. It's very much in the Little Sharpie vein, not quite there yet but shows great promise. Fingers crossed :-) 

• Like 4

Woodfords have always had a beer to suit most tastes in their extensive range, however they aren't often found  on tap - just the ubiquitous 'Wherry'.

Nothing wrong with that for my palate, but there are more interesting ales from Woodbastwick. 

• Like 1

Yep, Nelson's revenge is about the best of the Woodfordes brews for me, but it's a poor show if all the beer you can get is from a local brewery. Do people in Norfolk not like choice? Do the publicans of Broadland heaven think that holiday makers are their only customers?

I like Spitfire and I like London Pride, I also like Speckled Hen as well as Hob Goblin. What I like most of all is CHOICE.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

It does sound like good news, definitely.

I've tried Brew 352 (possibly in the same establishment as Howard?) and while it's maybe a little citrusy for me, it's great to see something entirely new coming from the Slad Lane beer foundry.

You can indeed find Wherry everywhere, and it's a good go-to if it's the only real ale on (and it often is) but it's not my favourite - I'd say Nelson's Revenge is a good session beer, although my favourite is probably Mardler's Mild. Sadly, that's a bit of a seasonal brew.

Mardlers! Now there's a pint!  Rarely found outside the Fur and Feathers. However it can occasionally be found at the Buck in Flixton.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Well, Howard, with a name like Jennings, I wonder if any relation to that well known brewery in Cumbria! cheersbar

xmas6Iain.

Ha! Nice thought Iain but not that I am aware of. Jennings  crops up  a lot on our manor as it's part of the Marstons Pubco. It's quite good for a national brand and unlike Greene King Marstons have at least kept the brewery open.

Also agree the comments about Mardlers. Rare as hens teeth. 

MM has hit the nail on the head - we do need more choice. The Broads is awash with Doombar, Wherry and smattering of Greene King. For a county with over 30 excellent small breweries it's very sad. That's not to mention the ones in Suffolk as well. 

Are Woodies still brewing Mardlers? I thought it had gone the same way as Baldric and Headcracker. Once upon a time I was a real fan, any trip to broadland would have to include a trip to the brewery to stock up with a box or three, but I haven't been for a few years. Sadly, those old characterful ales have gone, replaced by such things as Sundew, Bure Gold and Once Bittern. Weaselpiss all. I'm not a Wherry fan, bland and featureless, Nelsons is, as previously mentioned a half decent session beer but the best is Admirals Reserve. It is a citrussy brew and I can appreciate some not liking that, personally I am not a fan of broadside which I find much too sweet, almost sickly after a couple of pints. Each to there own taste I guess.

If you get a chance to try it, tinsel toes is very nice, a real shame that it is only around as a seasonal brew, it puts the Sundew brigade to shame. 

• Like 1

As far as I am aware they are still producing Mardlers but it gets little or no promotion. Agree with the others which have gone. My own favourite was Great Eastern Ale. Replaced with Sundew. The cynic in me would say that Sundew costs much less the produce as I'm somewhat at a loss as to what is actually in it. 

We were up at the Fur and Feather back in late October and I had a pint of Mardlers at the time. Disappointingly the character of the beer I was given was more like a sludgy, weak brown ale rather than a clean-flavoured dark mild with black patent malt undertones that I had expected, which led me to believe that they have either "dumbed down" the recipe or this was a "bum" batch.

I wish the new Head Brewer every success

cheers

Hi Steve

IMHO the beer in the Fur and Feather is rubbish. Its not run by the brewery, its leased out. Its more of a restaurant than a pub. Its arguably the worst place to drink Woodfordes beer. I have drunk Mardlers in other pubs and found it exactly as you have described it should be. I would say that Wherry is the beer they have mucked about with most, the Mardlers and Norfolk Nog seem to be pretty much the same to me but I would imagine they are brewed in very small quantities.

PS my colleagues at Norwich CAMRA have spoken to Belinda and have been very encouraged. I'm sure she will do well and the beer will be all the better for it.

• Like 2

I always liked the F and F because i) it is a nice walk from Salhouse Broad; ii) they offer a wide range of beer styles and iii) the food, whilst pricey, isn't bad. I have noticed, though, that the quality of the beer served there is quite variable. Maybe they are offering too wide a selection for the footfall they attract, particularly out of peak season and the stuff hangs around for too long. It also has to be said that, outside of the bar area, the whole place has an ambiance not much better than a Little Chef. Nice place to sit outside of on a sunny afternoon though.

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SteveO said:

I always liked the F and F because i) it is a nice walk from Salhouse Broad; ii) they offer a wide range of beer styles and iii) the food, whilst pricey, isn't bad. I have noticed, though, that the quality of the beer served there is quite variable. Maybe they are offering too wide a selection for the footfall they attract, particularly out of peak season and the stuff hangs around for too long. It also has to be said that, outside of the bar area, the whole place has an ambiance not much better than a Little Chef. Nice place to sit outside of on a sunny afternoon though.

cheers

Steve

Yep, got to agree. I've been going in ever since it opened, a) to sample the Norfolk Nog and b, in the vague hope that the beer has improved. Strangely its always seems to be the 'popular' ones that are served in the worst condition.

Steve is quite right, they are offering too many beers in a pub where the main trade is in wine, spritzers and the like. I've often been in and drunk more beer than everyone else in the pub. Its just not a drinkers pub. I also suspect that the tenants have little appetite for real ale, why should they, the pubs reputation is based on its food.

Its a pleasant walk from either direction and the garden is a nice sun trap in the summer. But I'm afraid the beer will have to improve considerably before I make a beeline to get there. very sad really, a lost opportunity.