Where To Bring Your Gin Palace.

JennyMorgan

43 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Half of 'em are already here! The off-licence in Brundall survives on gin sales.

I don't remember seeing a GIN  DISTILLERY  in Brundall?:naughty: A cottage industry in the making, perhaps!

cheersIain

I have to tell you that Norfolk Gin is a excellent drop of jollop.  I bought a jar last summer and was instantly hooked, and I've glugged a couple more since then.  It's a tad pricey, but very distinctively flavoured, and I think worth every penny.

Not sure that either my halfdecker or my kayak really counts as a 'gin palace' though; can one have a 'gin cottage'?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Many on GPS seat drinking tea/coffee/wine/beer etc from Friday to Sunday  without moving anywhere 

I remember a good friend and work colleague from 35+ years ago used to regularly hire on the Thames. Over a period of about 5 years, he noticed when passing several particular riverside houses, with some really expensive offshore cruisers moored at the bottom of the gardens, those boats got ever greener on the outside, and the growth on the mooring ropes just got longer and longer. He even showed me some pics taken over that 5 year period, where those same boats had growth strands hanging from the lines, down to the water. The ironic thing was, the decks were spotless, but the surfaces they could`nt see from the houses, were green with alsae and growth. The waterline, and i should imagine everything below, had barnacles so long, they were drifting out into the stream.  More often than not, you`d see some people sitiing on the decks in directors style chairs with bottles and bottles of wine, beer, you name it, but NEVER did he see those boats move.

It's a familiar story, both in UK marinas and elsewhere - Huge amounts of money invested in a very underused resource.  I don't think it is so different on the Broads either, well maybe a bit... Certainly in some marinas and boatyards there are a significant number of boats that rarely move. Is it a symptom of busier lives?  I know we didn't use our boat as much as we would have like to last year or the year before, for a number of reasons, but we still had two or three holidays a year on board and got out quite a few other times, if only for a day-sail. 

However, and this is the key for me, owning my own boat and using it modestly is still a lot less expensive than hiring for a similar amount of time - and I am free to enjoy it whenever I choose.  In the coming year, even with paying for a mooring, my costs would only hire a yacht for a week and a half from a boatyard. So, any use above that is a bonus!

• Like 1