Sad Story And Lost Of Id

Well Ian and I have had a problem this year regarding someone using our address as their address for a penalty train ticket cost, but with that one it is a child name on the letter. because they are asking for the parent / guardian of the named child. Every time we receive another letter from the company regarding the penalty, we write a message on the envelope, without opening stating not known at this address and we have even asked our postman to return any post not in our name back to the sender.

Today my work colleague showed me a letter her husband received from TFL (Transport For London) regarding a congestion charge penalty, The only problem with that letter is, this man is in his mid 60 and in poor health, but he has never been behind a wheel of a car or had a driving licence. What is hard to believe is this person does not have an English name and it is not a common name, but his ID and address has been cloned.

How can someone do this to someone or anyone and they will get away with it. They are scumbags.

Regards

Marina :default_stinky:

A mate of mine had his car cloned, some 'person' running around basically using his tax/Mot n insurance and running up parking tickets, dvla just logged it as a complaint and wouldnt change his reg number(although it was enough to avoid the parking fines), police although interested werent a whole lot of use either, too stretched to make it a prioriy it seems(which is fair enough I spose, just frustrating).

1 hour ago, SweetKingfisher1 said:

Well Ian and I have had a problem this year regarding someone using our address as their address for a penalty train ticket cost, but with that one it is a child name on the letter. because they are asking for the parent / guardian of the named child. Every time we receive another letter from the company regarding the penalty, we write a message on the envelope, without opening stating not known at this address and we have even asked our postman to return any post not in our name back to the sender.

With the first one Marina, chances are it's a kid been caught without a ticket and they have picked a random address to give to Transport Coppers or ticket inspector along with a fake name. Look to neighbours with the same postcode with kids.

I thought I was the victim of identity theft when I started getting tons of loan applications, two summons for non-payment of council tax and a parking fine. After quite a bit of digging, I discovered my local council were the culprits. You may notice that recently your local council has been asking on several occasions for you to confirm your entry on the electoral register. Having done so once in 2017 I didn't respond to the next two requests. The councils, in these unstable times, have been 'massaging' the electoral registers for profit. In my case they had assumed that as I had not replied I no longer lived at the address and had somehow managed to mix my entry with that of my Dad, who had passed away, as all of his correspondence and bills came to my address. I was having bills for the new occupant of Dad's flat forwarded to me, for me to pay.

I was left in the ridiculous position of standing in the council offices with my birth certificate, passport, driving license, qualifications and any other document with my name on it trying to convince some half-wit I was not dead. The conversation did include the phrase 'perhaps if I smacked you round the head a few times it may convince you I am indeed alive'. All sorted now, although I might look like a corpse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Selling details of a company's customer base has been going on for a long time and can be worth a lot of money, I am told.

Back in the 80s when I was still living on the gunboat in Thorpe, I began to get lots of advertising mail shots, all addressed to me on Hart's Island, rather than The Island or Hearts Island.

The only time I had ever given my address as Harts Island was to Barclays Bank. They, of course, denied it!

• Like 1

I had a right battle a number of years ago now.  I was getting junk mail from all sorts of companies then I started to receive mail to our address for a person who had never lived here, some of it was chasing debts too.  Our credit rating started to suffer as a result as our address was shown as bad credit rating.

I got on the case, it took me the best part of a year to sort it all out.  The main culprits was experian who were selling our details with the correct address but wrong name.  It was infuriating, time consuming and costly too.  I ended up threatening them with court action.  Eventually I did get it sorted but could have done without it.  When / if you receive junk mail or calls you need to ask the sender / caller where they got your details from, then contact the company selling the details and get it stopped at source.  It can be done but will not be an overnight process.  Good luck with it

Griff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree with John (mm) those letters are the only proof that someone is using your identity. 

I would write to the companies involved and inform them that you are not the people they are after but your address is correct and tell them how long you have lived there, keep a copies of all correspondence and send any letters by recorded delivery.

Like the telephone preference service you can get a similar service from the Royal Mail.

Before you recycle your paper remove any traces of your name, address an identifying codes on all correspondence.

Never fill in or answer any surveys, offers of prizes always come with catches. When you fill in guarantees and the like only fill in the sections of your name and address and the item you bought, nothing else is relevant and you can bet that these details will be sold on.

If it continues then you must report it to the Police if only for the incident number, this again is proof of what is happening.

Regards

Alan    

• Like 3

Another method of stopping junk mail is to contact your local post office, fill out a simple form and that should stop it.  It's not 100% but it's not far off and does work.

Prior to that any junk mail I received, if it had a printed return envelope I used to bulk it out with junk fliers or failing that - newspaper to such an extent  that I had to cellotape down the flap making sure it was overweight if the envelope was pre paid, if it wasn't prepaid it would get the same treatment but posted without any stamps on it.  I always made sure the form they had sent me was inside so the sending company knew who had sent it back to them, with a post dit note inside handwritten stating - Isn't junk mail a right pain?  Of course the receiving company had to pay the excess postage which cost them both time and money to do so, having to visit the post office etc.  On a couple of occasions they rang me up complaining which I of course took great glee in explaining what comes round goes round and if they agreed not to send me junk mail I wouldn't send it back to them.

Cold callers / scammers - this again can be nearly stopped by contacting the telephone preference service - It's a free service so don't get caught out by certain outfits trying to charge you for it.  It won't work with the bottom low lifes or the foreign callers though.   The way I deal with them is to quickly state:-

'Stop, your breath really stinks, go and brush your teeth and ring me back'     then immediately hang up

They never do of course which is a result and the above statement is not racist in any way so no comeback

Griff

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I would write to the companies involved and inform them that you are not the people they are after but your address is correct and tell them how long you have lived there, keep a copies of all correspondence and send any letters by recorded delivery.

Sorry Alan but that's the last thing I'd do.

Never confirm your address to anybody who might be a scammer, and Never give any indication (like returning letters opened or not) to anyone who might profit from learning that it's a live address.

• Like 1

Thanks All, well we are still waiting for another letter or a phone call from the court letter Ian sent back last Thursday.

We have been told to get the full details off these letter and not just send them back, so that is what we will do if we get another letter. Fingers cross we don't.

Regards

Marina :default_stinky: