Potter Heigham Staithe

riverman

Today I was involved in a conversation with some of my least favourite people (BA) and apparently Potter Staithe, which has always been a working staithe, is getting bollards to stop vehicular access. 

Just curious as to if any home owners or boaters in the area had heard about this? 

For as long as I can remember it's been used to load and unload materials to service the properties down the banks and if no other access is given, will have a major impact on those properties. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there one in Potter itself or do you mean the one half a mile downstream at Repps?
I know the one at Repps is going to temporarily lose vehicular access whilst some work is done on the dyke bridge around March time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what person thinks:

I believe that the BA are going to add bollards to the Staithe at Potter, I don't think that it will be the loop part. I think that it's to stop people driving right up to the water in large vehicles where they have previously had horizontal wooden telegraph post barriers. Will try and check that out for us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

The bollards might be lockable thus unlockable, fingers crossed.

Not from what I was lead to believe during my conversation with BA, they don't want anyone using it as a 'working staithe' for insurance reasons. Be that private contractors carrying out essential maintenance or homeowners moving belongings. 

As far as contactors go, the ranger suggested that sorting access was our own problem, which is all well and good but not everyone down potter bank is going to be able to stump up possibly another £1000 on top of the price of the job just to get the materials on site.

Closing the staithe in itself isn't an issue, time moves on, things change. However, if it is correct, is there going to be a consultation period with all the bungalow owners and relevant parties? Where would be the suggested practical alternative access? Repps? Hickling? Will the home owners have to create there own staithe? 

As far as 'shed city' is concerned, there are getting a few now of well above shed standard. Closing the staithe would only put people off from renovating and tidying up some of the less aesthetically pleasing properties.

I believe, don't hold me to this, it is owned by the PC but run and maintained by BA. There is currently a spat on the staithe between BA and various businesses regarding mooring there, which even without my distain for them, I have to say they are handling extremely badly. 

It's a shame if true, we often load/unload there and it is very handy to be able to pull up close to the boat. We'd manage, but some of the 'shed' users would find it a blessed nuisance... One question 'WHY?' Is there some change in use, some ongoing problem that requires this action?

I think it has more to do with liabilities, or atleast that's the official line I believe. 

Now this is purely conjecture but knowing the relationship BA has with one of the main contractors that uses the staithe, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the whole thing wasn't out of spite.

Buy why? Why do they want rid of them? With the current trend towards smaller more sustainable homes, I would have thought they would be pushing EA to sell off plots running up to the existing ones from the bridge down martham bank and show themselves as a modern progressive, caring organisation. Affordable housing for the broads.

As for vehicles, it's a working staithe and has been for generations, we shouldn't have to park elsewhere. 

A working staithe, agreed but maybe too many folk use it as a car park? A draconian response by the BA, maybe, but perhaps one forced upon them because of complaints. Has anyone asked the BA why? 

As for allowing more riverside accommodation, sounds like a great idea but I don't see it happening any time soon, not with the present incumbents at Yare House.  Affordable housing, easy, houseboats, which takes us back to Thorpe Island and Jenner's Basin for the quick answer to that one! The BA as a modern progressive, caring organisation, I don't think so :default_crying1animated:. 

10 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

The person who really would know the answers is David (expilot) but I'm not sure that he looks over this side of the fence 

Obviously doesn't know what he's missing! As the man that matters in the shed owners association he should know. Decent bloke. I've long forgotten my password for the other place, also lost David's e-mail address, but I'm sure that someone here could p.m. him.

• Like 1

Peter mentioned Thorpe Island and there may be a parallel here. Roger Wood is living in a house on the island for which he has planning permission, the site of which has been used as a dwelling for 150 years. When Thorpe Council locked off the public staithe they also blocked his access to a trunk road, which is against planning law, as the staithe is his only access.

If chalets in Potter are now being lived in year round, with permission, then surely the public staithe is their access to the road?