BSS

oh sorry, you didn,t mention you had a deck fitting, most sea boats don,t!!

Its okay.  I can't mention everything and every bit of work that's been done or will be because I loose track.

I think the best thing is wait till there and have an inspection then go thru what needs to be rectified to comply.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

It has a separate pump with supply cut off, and a separate valve to isolate it too. There are so many 'sea boats' on the Broads with just this set up and since they all must have BSS certificates, I see no reason why I won't get one easily myself. So none of this is a worry.

Heres some advice , make it easy and download the BSS guide that way it tells you what you need and what is not allowed and the discharge line defiantly needs a valve on it to comply .

Some great advice in this thread.  I particularly like this one from Ricardo:-

Not a bad idea to get the BSS regs if your restoring a boat too as certain things need doing s certain way for BSS and could prove difficult to rectify when the boat is completed.

We did exactly that during  'B.A's restoration.  Some items within the BSS are listed as not compulsory but 'Best Practise' (or were).  We endeavoured to incorporate all 'Best Practises' as the norm and did try to 'Future Proof' her along the way.  We used the BSS manual as a sort of workshop manual, it worked for us.  I also engaged the service of a local BSS inspector (To us up here in Donny) to visit us every couple of months to advise us as we progressed

Griff

• Like 4

With a boat the size of "HMS" Independence, it might prudent to warn everyone on the Yare that She is going for a pump out. To quote Captain Oates: 'I may be some time'.  The sight of her majestically gliding toward the pump out point will generate feelings similar to those I have  when I see my wife going into the bathroom. 

Like the BA crew ,We also downloaded the BSS manual as a point of reference, whilst this was useful, some of the items on the checklist are open to liberal or rigid interpretation seemingly at the whims of individual inspectors. Hence the matter of the green sign, and the labeling of the obvious knobs and excrescences. Whilst I totally agree with the need for a BSS; but,  like health and safety, such regulations provide a potential for a veritable feeding frenzy for pedants and job's worth's. The BSS website is a useful source of information, and there is even an application form should one wish to become an inspector. 

• Like 3