• Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Yesterday
  2. Waterside Marine Sales at Potter Heigham have a couple of Elysians at the moment. There's a Seamaster 813 at NBS
  3. Mmm, there should be an electric mudweight really given it's a premium boat because they do make a difference.
  4. No survey needed for toll but check with insurance companies what they require as they often want different things, gjw direct want 10 yearly full survey but will accept an existing one.
  5. Why is a Skoda and a baby similar? They both never go anywhere without a rattle, I've just bought the new 16 valve Skoda .......8 in the engine, 8 in the radio! What's the difference between a Skoda and a Jehovah's witness? You can shut the door on a Jehovah's witness. Joking aside, bought my ex wife a Skoda, (before she was ex before you think this is another joke!), great little car and quite nippy with the 1.2 turbo.
  6. Just prodding for a bit of info please. Looking to purchase a boat, not had one for 20 odd years and things have changed since then. My question is, do i have to get a fresh survey done for insurance and Broads Toll puposes or will a previous one do so long as it's no older than 5 years old. should it be a full survey or a pre-purchase survey and what is the likely cost of one. I know i will have to pay for the lift out and in. Thanks.
  7. Call Paul at Swancraft. He has an Alpha 31 aft cockpit for sale at £9950. https://www.facebook.com/100063765301492/posts/pfbid02ZKWQfeLc6QuiQUNUVfpTSsZipUJm2eAaaWzXbg1Y3aJY9f8HxBtGTkJYNJfm1jXFl/?
  8. Hi, just wondering what oven you replaced it with? I’ve got the same and trying to find a new one that will fit! Thank you in advance if you see this. laura
  9. Looking for an aft cocpit boat, Elysian, Lytton Discovery, seamaster or similar. Don't mind a bit of work but not looking for a project. Must have Diesel inboard, pump out loo and shower. 27 - 32 foot ish. 12 - 13k, no hard tops please, need to get under broads bridges. Thanks in advance.
  10. And here's a few photos from the day.
  11. Tuesday dawned fine, and as I recall it was a sunny morning which clouded up later in the day ... with more cuckoos. We were careful this time to check for the low tide time at Somerleyton Bridge and the time we needed to cruise there from our overnight mooring. At this stage I would like to say another thank you to catcouk for the very comprehensive timings chart which we had printed and taken with us. It was very helpful all week for checking approximate cruising times. And I also used the cruising times section on the following website which rendered well on my phone. https://www.norfolkbroadsboathire.biz/distancecalculator.asp. So ... we successfully negotiated the swing bridge this time and were soon coming back up towards the Yare. I was at the helm for almost all our cruising this week, and we didn't encounter any other boats on the New Cut for which I was very thankful. In fact we were only followed by another boat on one occasion, and had plenty of room every time we moored up. Interestingly the hire yard from whom we saw the most boats was NBD. All looking very fine and well presented. We passed through Reedham and headed down the Chet this time. A lunchtime stop in Loddon enabled us to fill the water and dispose of our rubbish. A stroll up the hill allowed us to get some shopping in the Co-op. The Swan was advertising lunch as available on Tuesdays but when we asked at the bar they said there was no lunch on offer that day. Disappointing but there you go, other options were available and their loss was Rosie Lee's gain. I had a lovely jacket potato with tuna and I think hubby had the scampi and chips. The food and service were very good and we would go back. We also enjoyed a nice chat with a couple on another boat who had been at Beccles with us, and who we kept passing all week. The one drawback to this boat was the very heavy mudweight. Having needed to put it out at Beccles we had decided that it was too heavy to use again as it wasn't electric. Side on moorings were therefore to be our choice from that time on. So suitably refreshed we departed from Loddon. Now I have to say that neither the basin or Pye's Mill were actually that inviting IMHO. We had wondered what Pye's Mill would be like but there was still a large section taped off. All I can say is that if we are ever out on the southern rivers again we would probably give the Chet a miss. When we reached the Yare we turned to port and headed for another new mooring for us - Rockland Short Dyke. These moorings hadn't existed when we last cruised the south and it was somewhere we really wanted to try. Only one other boat there for the rest of the day, it was just as peaceful as we had hoped.
  12. Probably depends on the examiner.
  13. Dungraftin as failed it’s bss I have gas leak Rob at Sutton is sorting for me but does anyone know do I after to have a revisit and do I pay again Or if all works completed that’s it and it gets a cert
  14. Hi am booked for Saturday night I am now 3 adults 1 moody teenager if she and 1 dog now x
  15. some time in the late 1980's I went into the local vauxhall dealership for some spares for my bedford van, one of wich was a new needle valve for the carburettor, when the chap brought it back, he exclaimed - I am going to have to sell you this for the price on the box- 7s/6d- he then proceeded to convert that to the new money and charged me 37 1/2 pence, the other thing I bought was a complete set of 20 brand new wheel studs (came to £20)
  16. Back in the seventies our local garage was a Skoda main dealer for this area. A few years ago one of the guys there asked me if I would be interested in selling a load of the old spares on Ebay as he didn't want the hassle. The building had been built up over many years from an old farm cottage and the stores was up some very rickety stairs on the top floor. It was like a film set - time had stood still. Everything was covered in a good layer of dust and there were racks of Estelle and Rapid bits. There was also a workshop bench with bins above, containing bearings, seals, shafts etc for rebuilding water pumps! The history of the Skoda company is interesting if you find it on Google. They used to make good quality trucks until governments got involved I think. Have you got a petrol cap for a Skoda? Yep, that's a good swap!
  17. A couple of people have challenged BA about this on Facebook. Apparently, the BA's tolls team has been "busy helping people process payments in advance of the event".
  18. Yeah, I know members of British Canoeing don’t have to pay the toll, but I wonder if any competitors who aren’t BC members will be checked and required to pay. Just me being cynical, when the BA are crying poverty and squeezing the boating community for increased tolls year on year.
  19. Might have their BC union number on the blade of their paddle in lieu of a BA toll.
  20. Yep! Looking under the bonnet, various components are stamped or marked VW/ Audi. The quality of the trim is improving markedly too. There’s a significant improvement to the finish and refinement of our newest one to my first Skoda bought in 2008. A friend of mine is a devout German car fan. He’s owned BMW’s, Opels, VW’s and a Porsche. He describes Skoda as ‘a thinking man’s Volkswagen.’ There still is some badge snobbery though. I still know people who will not buy a Skoda because of what they were and the lack of perceived prestige that goes with them.
  21. You have to remember that nowadays a Skoda is a VW is an Audi. Effectively mechanically identical base cars on each model platform, but with different trim packages
  22. I gave the old girl a quick wash yesterday morning - that’s the car, not the wife! Bought in November 2016, just four months old and with 8,000 miles on the clock, it’s now done 99,700 miles. I’ve never kept a car that long in fifty years of driving and never before taken one over 100,000 miles. Many years ago, in the late 70’s, I was given a Skoda as a loan car whilst my Mazda was having some warranty work done. At the time, I vowed never to drive one again never mind own one, it was so bad. Over forty years later, we’ve just bought our fourth. Only goes to prove that you should never say never!
  23. Will let you know Helen. It would be great to finally meet in person rather than just the mad wave 😂 Definitely not planning on going south
  24. I noticed that the BA posted on their Facebook page that the annual Paddleskedaddle takes place this Saturday (11th May). It starts from Sutton Staithe at 09:30, travelling down The Ant, turning left onto The Bure and left again onto The Thurne. I can’t quite make out where it finishes, the map indicates that it goes as far as West Somerton, but I can imagine many boaters will need to worry what happens upriver of Potter Bridge. Looking at the internet, there is mention that around 300 entrants will be taking part on SUP’s, prone paddle boards and kayaks. One trusts that all will have paid their river toll! The Blessed Authority say that all competitors should observe navigation rules, but as some of them take it very seriously (it is a race after all), I would imagine that a racing line through the corners may be taken! 😉 There should be a bit of sport for the video vultures at Ludham Bridge if any cruisers should try to head upriver! Anyway, just a heads up for any fellow members who are planning to be afloat in the area over the weekend. One of the members of the MS syndicate was planning to go to Dilham on Saturday morning. He has suggested that boxing glove on the end of a boat hook might be useful!
  25. Yes, she was built by Paul Crampton of Swancraft for a private owner (we are the 2nd). Being next door to Alphacraft in those days, Paul kept a close eye on the lay up to make sure she was strong. We love her!
  1. Load more activity
  • Sponsors

Norfolk Broads Network is run by volunteers - You can help us run it by making a donation

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.