Shore Power

MKH

Hi everyone,

Relative newbie here (1 previous broads holiday and 1 narrowboat holiday) so please forgive the potentially stupid question...

We're hiring Brinks Melody next week and it has a generator - which I gather means we have to start the engine to make a cuppa.  I'm going to bring a small gas camping stove to alleviate this a little, but I also wondered about Shore Power?  I have a 25m camping hookup cable - is it the same connection as shore power?  And (assuming I was able to get close to a shore power hookup) will this mean I wouldn't need to start the engine engine to cook, etc?

Thanks all,

Mike

Be aware you may be breaching your hire terms to bring a portable gas appliance on a hire boat.  In my opinion there would be no need to worry about use of the facilities on the  boat as are supplied - indeed think it is a boon to have unlimited 240v power on a boat with the use of the generator.

The boat has a generator, but this is not part of the main engine so it is not like running the engine if that makes sense, should the generator be needed these are not likely to disturb your neighbors as it will have an underwater exhaust.

Be aware though, there may well be enough battery capacity to boil the kettle using the on board Inverter, without the generator cutting in.

The shore power system will come with the power connector 'built in' and this should be used. There is no need to bring your own. Many of Barnes power cables are not detachable from the boat though, this was the case on Belmore that I hired recently,  so great care should be taken when leaving a mooring that you have actually unplugged the shore power connection from the electric post.

Ask in reception for the purchase of electricity cards - they cost £1.00 each.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKH said:

Hi everyone,

Relative newbie here (1 previous broads holiday and 1 narrowboat holiday) so please forgive the potentially stupid question...

We're hiring Brinks Melody next week and it has a generator - which I gather means we have to start the engine to make a cuppa.  I'm going to bring a small gas camping stove to alleviate this a little, but I also wondered about Shore Power?  I have a 25m camping hookup cable - is it the same connection as shore power?  And (assuming I was able to get close to a shore power hookup) will this mean I wouldn't need to start the engine engine to cook, etc?

Thanks all,

Mike

As Robin says generator is very likely a smaller quieter separate little engine.

It is also very likely that the hob in the boat is already a gas one. So if anything then just bring the whistle kettle you would have brought with your camping stove.

Hookup wise they should probably have one on the boat already, otherwise they are the same standard three round pin external plugs that you use elsewhere.

The best people to ask of corse are the boat yard who can confirm (or otherwise) that there is already a long hookup cable supplied and the hob is gas etc. They may even be able to tell you how many full kettles the leisure batteries can boil before asking for a generator top up themselves :)

3 hours ago, MKH said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks all,

Mike

Mike, hi and a warm welcome aboard the forum. 

We have an ex Barnes boat with a 10kVA genny. When we bought her she did NOT have a shore power lead, however the modern boats do.

Barne's philosophy was not to have gas onboard,  so Robin is quite correct that your gas camping stove would invalidate your insurance.

You won't need to bring either of which you suggest, just enjoy your wonderful holiday!    :wave

• Like 1

If in doubt phone Barnes,But I agree with my friends please don't use a camping stove on the boat.Many people do use a BBQ,once moored,Certainly not however on the boat

Also :welcome:from me enjoy the hols,and look forward to hearing your tales on the forum

Ian

Hi Mike, 

Just to re-iterate what Robin and others have said, NEVER EVER take any form of gas apliance abord a hireboat, they`re NOT BSC tested or approved for marine use, in fact a while ago, the forums headline was a warning against using them on boats, but where hireboats are concerned, you WILL be in breach of your hire agreement, as well as insurance.

RE the electic hook up, we used to bring one with us when we used to hire from Maffetts,their boats (Swallow and Merlin) don`t have any 240v on them, and Karen always likes to use a 240v hairdryer, and straighteners, so one of these was very handy, and they are not connected to the boat in any way, though they should be disclosed to the yatrd, in which case they will likely wish to do their own electrical test and inspection of any such app;iance before approving it`s use aboard?. Even though your boat may have all the elctric hook up etc, it`s nice to have it in reserve, or for use outside the boat.

• Like 1

Hello Mike,

Welcome to the NBN forum from Tan & myself. 

Enjoy your time on the Norfolk Broads. Our forum members love to give advice so ask away. There is loads of information if you browse the forums.

As others have already stated if you are in doubt regarding anything relating to your boat, ask the boat yard.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1