No Mention Of Broads Chippies?

JennyMorgan

I would wager you would still love a real wild Atlantic Salmon caught on line or netted by a licenced fisherman. You just can not compare it with the farmed stuff. Farmed and wild is not so noticable when smoked but there used to be an old saying around Billingsgate (when it was in Upper Thames Street not the Isle of Dogs) to the effect of: " the best smoked salmon is caught in a Scottish River by an Englishman on fly, but smoked by a Jewish gentleman in the East End" and as an ex trader I agree completely.

By the way the wild stuff of the Pacific, Sockeye etc is rubbish alongside North Atlantic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I would wager you would still love a real wild Atlantic Salmon caught on line or netted by a licenced fisherman. You just can not compare it with the farmed stuff. Farmed and wild is not so noticable when smoked but there used to be an old saying around Billingsgate (when it was in Upper Thames Street not the Isle of Dogs) to the effect of: " the best smoked salmon is caught in a Scottish River by an Englishman on fly, but smoked by a Jewish gentleman in the East End" and as an ex trader I agree completely.

By the way the wild stuff of the Pacific, Sockeye etc is rubbish alongside North Atlantic.

Guess you could be right, I always buy my seafood from the local suppliers in North Norfolk, I havnt tried salmon for a while so may well see where it is sourced from and give it another try :dance

cheers

Ray & Carole

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Everybod`s suggesting all the fish and chip shops, but i wonder how they would all get on with this stupid star rating re quality and hygene that everybody else is whinging on about elswhere?.

On 03/06/2016 at 7:23 PM, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Ilove soft greasy chips, covered in either Daddies brown, Salad cream, or baked bean juice.

Some have different tastes to others..... and standards as well it might appear .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

We had an excellent fishmonger in Troon, but know one in the next generation of the family was willing to take it on, so it has closed. Very sad.

cheersIain

Had the same thing here in Holt, very good fishmonger we have patronised for years, he decided to retire and quite rightly too, taken over by new owners, grumpy lady serving, no real advice on the fish you are buying, no offer to properly prepare your fish, sorry no more of my custom, but thankfully still a few good providers around here, but not telling :naughty:

cheers

Ray & Carole 

• Like 2

On 04/06/2016 at 0:00 AM, VetChugger said:

Grumpy hat on!!!

Never had any decent fish and chips in Norfolk. Until they start frying in beef dripping and take the skin and bones out of the fish they will never match what we get in West Yorkshire. Always fresh Haddock or Cod and its not reformed into regulation blocks or squares like I've encountered in Norfolk.

Best effort I have had in Norfolk was from a place on the road into Norwich from Thorpe. Apart from the midden in Potter, the worst were in Great Yarmouth. Terrible experience! I have actually tried them all at one time or another including Wroxham and Horning. The locals in Brundall said the one on The Street there was wonderful. Sadly not!

36 minutes ago, addicted said:

Without doubt the best fish & chips we have had in Norfolk is at The Yare, Brundall. The chips really hit the spot & the Cod & Plaice are superb. The quality never varies

Regards

Carole

That's a 'five' - as of last August.

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

Again we wonder why the demise of local fishmongers....... I rest my case

We have not had a local fishmongers on our shops for over 40 years so within 3 miles, it is Morrison's or the other supermarkets. Local shops these days tend to be take a ways there is four, betting shop two, sandwich /bread shop again two, chemist and the Co-op (it includes the Post Office) back in the day we had a full range of shops.

Regards

Alan

4 hours ago, Tangara said:

Had the same thing here in Holt, very good fishmonger we have patronised for years, he decided to retire

That would be Spencer Finn - he used to be very good, but I think standards slipped a little in his last few years as he struggled to compete with the place just near Budgens.  Personally I use Davies in Cromer; crab and lobster from his own pots and local line caught sea bass.

• Like 1

Over the years its the super markets that have killed off Britain high streets, and all the trades that went with them. So over the years its been those that say lets get every thing from so and so that have killed off the high streets. The Co-op was the start of it by closing all their one trade shops and making the first supermarket type shops....

I use the stall at Mudesley, does really good Skate in season. Crab and lobster from Overstrand. And Davies when in Cromer.

Of supermarket counters it is Morrisons superior imho than Waitrose in North Walsham.