No Mention Of Broads Chippies?

JennyMorgan

One thing i hate is dry chips. Ilove soft greasy chips, covered in either Daddies brown, Salad cream, or baked bean juice. I also like Cheesy chips with sweet chilie sauce.

One other thing, thanks for posting this now. I`ve just finished my dinner, and am not hungry, so this subject is safe to read :naughty::dance

• Like 3

Grumpy hat on!!!

Never had any decent fish and chips in Norfolk. Until they start frying in beef dripping and take the skin and bones out of the fish they will never match what we get in West Yorkshire. Always fresh Haddock or Cod and its not reformed into regulation blocks or squares like I've encountered in Norfolk.

Best effort I have had in Norfolk was from a place on the road into Norwich from Thorpe. Apart from the midden in Potter, the worst were in Great Yarmouth. Terrible experience! I have actually tried them all at one time or another including Wroxham and Horning. The locals in Brundall said the one on The Street there was wonderful. Sadly not!

Sorry to go off topic a little, but the best fish and chips in the country is in a little fishing village in Fife, in a place called Anstruther. I think it has won it before and will probably win it again. The guy who owns the shop owns the fishing boat that supplies it. Absolutely amazing.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

One thing i hate is dry chips. Ilove soft greasy chips, covered in either Daddies brown, Salad cream, or baked bean juice. I also like Cheesy chips with sweet chilie sauce.

Err...... this isn't the confessions thread......

I've no favourite chippy, but will have some delivered to me in Hickling broad, just off the sailing cub at around 22:00.

No I'll not be receiving outside assistance during the 3 Rivers Race, I'll be counting them all round the bouy.

1 hour ago, Bobdog said:

No. 1 Cromer, best fish and chips in the country.  I've lived in Yorkshire (sadly), and no Yorkshireman I've ever met has any idea what decent food looks and tastes like.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/where_s_the_best_fish_and_chips_you_ve_had_this_one_in_cromer_has_been_shortlisted_for_national_award_1_4286527

I have not been in the No 1 but have been in Mary Janes chip shop  a couple of times when visiting Cromer, I found the fair very good, the restaurant was packed mostly with pensioners (usually a good sign).

Yorkshire men do like a bargain but not at the expense of good food, we are somewhat vocal at saying what we think.

Regards

Alan 

I have to agree with Eric regarding Anstruther.http://www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk  I have a reaction to fish sometimes, but did try the fish there and it was superb. For value for money the Bridlington chippies F & C are hard to beat. However, people come from all over the world come to our local down the harbour! http://www.maccallumsoftroon.co.uk/the-oyster-bar/ Billy Connely and Rod Stewart are regular customers when in the UK.

Any fish that is deep fried still with the skin on and not prooerly flllited is a no no to me!:norty:

cheersIain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I have not been in the No 1 but have been in Mary Janes chip shop  a couple of times when visiting Cromer, I found the fair very good, the restaurant was packed mostly with pensioners (usually a good sign).

As a local (I live 3 miles from Cromer) I have to say I wouldn't be found dead in Mary Janes.  In the summer months, when Cromer is packed with tourists, No.1 has a queue 50 yards down the street waiting to be served.  Mary Janes send a staff member along to talk to people in the queue to tell them there's another chippy round the corner, with no waiting to be served.  Nobody moves.

17 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Everybod`s suggesting all the fish and chip shops, but i wonder how they would all get on with this stupid star rating re quality and hygene that everybody else is whinging on about elswhere?.

Well said matey..................... plus Cod aint cod if cooked without its skin on...... Most fish that is preskinned is old !!!!!!!!! Skining a fish makes it look fresher.....

• Like 1

When I was younger, much younger, my father was able to get fresh fish down at Ayr Harbour as soon as the fishing boats moored up to sell their catch. My mother was an expert at skinning and filleting haddock and whitting, so from boat to table was less than a couple of hours, and oh how could you tell the difference compared to fish n chip shop fish ! 

In the fifties and sixties, it was not unknown for what I think was called "Blackjack" fish to be sold as haddock in some F&C shops. I am not a fish eater, the smell of salmon makes me ill. However I still like to try the very occasional chippies fayre.

cheersIain

• Like 1

We buy cod loin from Morrison's when its on offer, cut it into portions and freeze it ready for use, also do the same with a full or half salmon (Tan likes salmon) I make batter with beer or lager using gluten free flour (you could use soda water which by accounts gives a crisp batter).

Nice big flakes of fried cod, nothing better and far better than the chip shops in general.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Not a chippie but we have always enjoyed the fish and chips at the Yare in Brundall and never been disappointed, only complaint is too many chips :shocked so Carole usually has chips and I have the potato croquettes and swap and share, sorted :dance

cheers

Ray & Carole

If there's a prize for worst fish and chips it has to go to horning fish bar

went last week they  were awful.

fish was ok ish . Chips couldn't eat , peas tasted like dish water and price to make your eyes water.

Stalham chippy 100% better

John

• Like 1

Quite agree we use the Holt chippie and we have found by trial and error that a small portion of cod and a small portion of chips shared between us is more than enough for the two of us :naughty:

I suspect they ladle on lashings of chips for those porky northerners on holiday :naughty: :hiding:

cheers

Ray & Carole

• Like 2