The Broads In 1955

AdnamsGirl

This delightful little Norfolk Broads travelogue was shared today by one of my Twitter followers and I thought some of you might enjoy it too. It was made by her grandfather, J.D. Butcher, and was actually the winner of the 1955 Amateur Cinematographer competition. The editing of such things is relatively easy on computers these days, but think of the hours of cutting and splicing film, the making of the captions and animations, and then adding a soundtrack which must have been involved in this. For an amateur it was an excellent effort!

http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-water-on-the-brain-1955/

Carol

• Like 5

Just watched it....again, and noted buildings that look just the same today, as they did then. In those days the only boats I saw as a child were the pleasure steamers and fishing boats at Ayr harbour.

Thanks once again for bringing to us Carol, another piece of Broads history.

cheersIain

Alison and I have just watched this again and commented on how the landscape is 'the same, yet different'!  Easily recognisable landmarks, but much around them has changed. The boats were so much more attractive!  I enjoyed his emphasis on the Broads being for all - rather than the all to frequent tensions between one form of enjoyment and another...

• Like 2