Normal

Timbo

Right then kiddy winkies what's been a going on then? Normal service is almost resumed. Uncle Albert's idiocy exacerbated by a nasty fall caused one of my 'little do's'. The resulting rejig of my meds has taken some getting accustomed to. Increased doses of a beta blocker left me feeling exhausted, almost as though I was trying to walk through a blancmange. My hands have been the real problem this time. Shooting pains, shakes, cramps and an almost terminal case of the 'dropsies'. I was given increased doses of Amitriptyline. What was odd I found was that I have been given a supply of the drug and told to 'find my own level of dosage' by increasing the dosage weekly by 10mg until I find a point where my hands start working again! Isn't Amitriptyline an anti-psychotic? 

My other half decided I was OK to be left to my own devices and organise to go and show Doug how to fix Nipper when I was overheard explaining basic geography and history to EU Leave campaigners who had knocked on my door. 
"Aren't you worried about substances from 'Dutchland'?"
"Where? Do you mean Deutschland? Perhaps the Netherlands?"
"Well you obviously don't know anything about Europe. We don't know anything about Europe so we should leave!" 
"What?"
"Of course leaving Europe will mean China will no longer be our problem!"
"When did China join the EU?"
"Don't worry about your Spanish holidays. After all Spain's not part of the EU and they are doing well."
"Didn't Spain join in 1981?"

Of course I got the other side the following day.

"Well you obviously don't know anything about Europe. We don't know anything about Europe so we should stay!" 

On the positive side I've managed to lose half a stone in weight and I'm feeling much better in myself. Uncle Albert's excesses have been kerbed for the moment and I'm almost raring to go!

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Doug may need a hand, though, if he has Nipper under control, you could always launch that lovely  Royal Tudor and follow him to Beccles...

And yes Iain is right, good to see you back

• Like 2

I have a tactic for the EU campaigners, when they ask, I tell them I am voting shake it all about, with this they then ask what  I mean, so I say - well I thought in ... then I thought out.... then in... then out....& right now I think I am at shake it all about.

This usually means they think I am not being serious, so they leave.... Result.

17 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

Right Tim, now your obviously feeling better I will put a varnish brush to one side for you. I can't remember if it's one or two sugars ! 

Glad your feeling better.

Doug.

As you can see dear members, we have some who go that extra mile to be considerate to others....eh Doug! :clap:)

cheersIain

I've got the permission from the better half and enlisted Matty the youngest lad to come down for ten days boat mending. Just waiting for a break in the weather. It took the intervention of three year old (soon to be four) granddaughter Gracie to get everyone thinking 'boats' again. Gracie and her mummy made me a 'beautiful boat like Timbo's'.Grendel may have some competition?

DSC_0166.JPG

On 11/06/2016 at 9:39 PM, brundallNavy said:

Right Tim, now your obviously feeling better I will put a varnish brush to one side for you. I can't remember if it's one or two sugars ! 

Glad your feeling better.

Doug.

I was going to email you Doug with everything I knew about boats...but...then thought perhaps a text would be more appropriate...but then I realised a carrier pigeon flea would be a much better choice! Keep that varnish brush handy Doug I'm on my way!

Talking of finishes...I've been doing a spot of 'learning' or 'standing around watching' as Alan in the shed at Wayford put it. The future father in law was a little under the weather and made a comment along the lines of 'make me a pine box will you'. So I popped into the shed and made him a small pine box...I mean I wasn't going to go for the whole coffin but we could get his ashes in it. Mother in law loved the box I made 'it's so tactile, I'll have it for a jewelry box' she said. So back in the shed I started on something a bit better than my last attempt.

I had some sapele, 6mm ply, 3mm thick strips of oak left over from having my floors done and bought an A5 sheet each of birdseye maple and walnut burl veneer. Hinges and clasps were a pain to do one handed...but I managed...sort of. 
DSC_0165.JPG

I'm now working on a Father's Day present for Uncle Albert. Sapele again, this time with Ash miter keys and curupixa veneer on both sides of the lid and base.
DSC_0167.JPG

I'm still at the sanding stage with this project as you can see in the picture...but I'm looking forward to applying the finish. I'm using shellac on the boxes about three coats sanding and rubbing out between each coat and then a final finish with wax applied with 0000 gauge steel wool.

What I have in mind is using some of these skills on Royal Tudor's cockpit in the distant future.

• Like 7

Quick update on the sapele and curupixa box I ordered some Finpol Special Polish, a shellac based concoction. My God I wish they made something like this that you could use on boats! Applies vet quickly, no drips or runs, dry in two minutes and brings out fantastic colours in the wood!

DSC_0169.JPG

• Like 5