Hi All!

myktoni

just wanted to say hi to you all.

Have lurked at another forum - and posted occasionally - for around 8 years, heard about this one in LondonRascal's blogs and decided to join!

I'm not sure I can add much to the table, I try to get away at least once per year and have for the last 10, but am becoming increasingly bitten by the bug.  I'm as competent as anyone can be who does something for around 1 - 2 weeks a year and then doesn't touch it again for another 50-odd!

Next year looking to do 1 week at Easter, (possibly) one week for May half term and two weeks in summer.

If I can add anything constructive or helpful, you won't find me backward in coming forward!

cheers

Mike

• Like 3

Thanks for the welcome gents.  Unfortunately, my other half also works at a school Iain, those peak season prices are a right pain in the bum!

Robin mentioned Pacific cruisers in one of his blogs (am I allowed to mention them?) and what nice people they were.  They're also very competitively priced, so seeing as I've only been to the southern broads once (an overnighter at Herringfleet).  I intend to start my two week break down there and venture north.  Still learning about all the little nooks and crannies of the northern Broads though TBH.  But what an incredible way to learn and what an amazing stress cure!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, riyadhcrew said:

Mike,

You can mention who you like on the forum, just be careful of what you say about them. Good experiences of Broads companies are always welcome. Pubs and restaurants are favourite places to talk about.

My dear old Mum always used to say "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".  I try to stick to that :)

It saved me a few whacks as a kid at least...

• Like 4

Hello Mike,

Welcome to the NBN forum from Tan & myself.

By all accounts your Mum was a very wise woman.

We allow and welcome positive feedback of any of the boatyards, pubs and shopsthat you come across on your travels on the Broads.

Silverline out of Brundall is very good company, I have friends that have hired from them over a number of years, Maffett,s only have a few boats, but they are well thought of and are usually always fully booked.

Regards

Alan  

Welcome Mike,as I have said before theres no cure for the boating bug you need to take as many trips as you can.I agree with Alan(ranworthbreeze).Silverline and Muffetts are very good we hired from Silverline many times before we started to own boats,Muffetts now onlyhave two wooden boats but well looked after,Graham looks after servicing and repairs to our boat and he does a very good job.If and when you can also give the northern rivers a try.What ever happens happy boating

iancheersbar:Stinky

:welcome: from me to! Be careful with that bug.. It's cost me a fortune and I hate boats now ;) The more time you spend doing it though the easier it gets! 

I'd suggest hiring a timber boat for that real norfolk feeling.. Maffetts and Marthams (up north though) are the ones to go for. (But there are some brilliant small yards on the southern side as mentioned).

Happy planning!

cheers 

• Like 1

On 13 June 2016 at 2:46 PM, myktoni said:

just wanted to say hi to you all.

Have lurked at another forum - and posted occasionally - for around 8 years, heard about this one in LondonRascal's blogs and decided to join!

I'm not sure I can add much to the table, I try to get away at least once per year and have for the last 10, but am becoming increasingly bitten by the bug.  I'm as competent as anyone can be who does something for around 1 - 2 weeks a year and then doesn't touch it again for another 50-odd!

Next year looking to do 1 week at Easter, (possibly) one week for May half term and two weeks in summer.

If I can add anything constructive or helpful, you won't find me backward in coming forward!

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum  I'm also a new member but have been on the broads for 30 odd years now and love it more and more . We hired boats for years after being bitten by the bug when I came down with a group of friends, one of which had his own boat a old wooden Ripplecraft, from that day I was hooked.

This year we finally took the plunge and bought our own ex hire boat and we both love her.

We hired loads of boats, big, small, luxurious and economy and finally realised that all we need is something comfortable to get us from a- b. 

Im not quite sure if buying works out any cheaper than hiring but it certainly works for us.

happy boating

Andy and Julie

• Like 1