Pollution

Wussername

1 hour ago, Timbo said:

A bit unsightly as it would leave skidmarks! :naughty:

Once upon a time we used to have fleets of electric delivery vehicles in every town and city. Milk Floats!

I will be sticking with diesel thank you very much, both in my boats and in my next car. I currently have the petrol version of the QQ which replaced my old diesel one. I'm going back to diesel...simple economy. I use twice as much petrol as I did diesel.

the electricity board i worked for had a fleet of electric vans at one point, as the areas worked got bigger they were phased out (see what I did there?)

• Like 1

Back to serious:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/transport_secretary_s_diesel_car_warning_as_norwich_battles_air_pollution_1_4869316

I know that owners of big boats won't agree with me but 'some' of them kick out a veritable mass of fumes and for those of us in open boats and caught in that cloud it can be quite unpleasant and obviously unhealthy. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Timbo said:

A bit unsightly as it would leave skidmarks! :naughty:

Once upon a time we used to have fleets of electric delivery vehicles in every town and city. Milk Floats!

I will be sticking with diesel thank you very much, both in my boats and in my next car. I currently have the petrol version of the QQ which replaced my old diesel one. I'm going back to diesel...simple economy. I use twice as much petrol as I did diesel.

And dont forget the Scammel Scarab three wheel artics that British Rail used in the sixties. There were some converted from petrol engines to battery power as an experiment. There was one of these running around grimsby fish docks in the eighties, it was owned by a fish merchant to move boxes of fish from the landing quays to the processing factory, i remember the batteries on it were absolutely huge.........

Well there are no buses to where I live, the nearest is a mile and a half away. To get to work on time I would have to leave home one hour before I finish work on the previous day, due to the scarcity of buses.

I regularly have to drive to Scotland, when an electric vehicle can do the journey non stop or with recharges taking no longer than my usual stops then I would consider them.

I already have an electric motorboat, an Elysian 27CCP, however in order to ensure I can get home, if I can't get near an electric post because someone wants to use their hair straighteners, I have had to fit  a generator as well. Solar panels look after minor use, but the generator (diesel) is needed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I forget to mention that in my earlier post.

This is about the only practical way to run an electric cruiser to avoid pollution.

Fit a diesel generator!

and there we have it. Circle almost complete with the final step being to take a drive directly off the generator and turn the prop with it whilst charging the batteries. Simples.

Seriously though, there will be a source of energy that is renewable, clean and efficient, we just haven't found it yet. Until we do we need to be producing power stations that don't burn our ever diminishing reserves of fossil fuels. Never mind pollution, when these fuels start running too low it won't be fumes that end Human life, it will be the bloody great big bang and associated mushroom cloud delivered by the ones who want it. That will be the price of failure. 

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

and there we have it. Circle almost complete with the final step being to take a drive directly off the generator and turn the prop with it whilst charging the batteries. Simples.

Seriously though, there will be a source of energy that is renewable, clean and efficient, we just haven't found it yet. Until we do we need to be producing power stations that don't burn our ever diminishing reserves of fossil fuels. Never mind pollution, when these fuels start running too low it won't be fumes that end Human life, it will be the bloody great big bang and associated mushroom cloud delivered by the ones who want it. That will be the price of failure. 

Seriously, with regard to boats, we have and great fun they are too!

021.a.JPG

• Like 4