Wherry Calf Seen At Oulton Broad

JennyMorgan

Seen at Oulton Broad this morning was this young wherry with mum keeping an eye over her calf. 

Albion has been at Oulton Broad for several weeks now and as one of the yacht station staff commented, looking very pretty amongst all the plastic-fantastic.

Now that's what I call a rudder!

P2031404.JPG

P2031399.JPG

P2031400.JPG

• Like 8

Hi Vaughan, and others too!! Yep she has been down there too long, even for a Suffolk wherry!!

All being well tonight, I believe, will be her last night out in a Suffolk town - but I said that a fortnight ago!!

It was not just the stern post, but the apron too, the much larger piece "in front " of the sternpost to which the planks are fastened, and in addition as well, the last three pairs of ribs, three part planks towards the stern, a new stern deck plus associated bits and pieces including new knees on the inside of the apron!! I realise that there is a ban on new knees in the NHS but these were a special offer and having access to that area which can be difficult, the surgeon just kept hacking out the worn bits and replacing. Looked after that bit will way outlast me, probably having a life of 25 years or more!!!

• Like 7

Yes Tim.  Big and heavy.

In the early 2000's we went on supporters' trip from Wroxham Bridge to Ludham. Being me I have to get hands-on.First job was to step the mast - hard work even with the windlass.  When we got to Ranworth Dyke I was delegated to handle the gaff pole (or whatever the purists all it) while the sail was lowered - a really heavy job.

However I had been allowed to sail her below Horning and steered most of the motor work from Ant Mouth to Ludham.. then the rig had to come down to get her in the wetshed..

• Like 1

Having had a tow across Breydon, from Breydon Marine if I remember as the mast or gaff were a bit suspect, overnighted at Yarmouth. The next day was the total opposite, clear blue sky and a gentle southerly. Ah! and the smell of bacon coming from the galley.