Norwich

andyfish

How do 

Commencing next weekend me and Catherine aboard the good ship Bobella will be out on our 2 weeks cruise and seeing as neither of us have sailed up to Norwich I wondered where the best place to Moor would be,we thinking of doing a bit of shopping

then maybe a drink and something to eat

Cheers 

As far as I could see when we visited in May, there are just a couple of options:

The Commissioners Cut which has a footpath to Thorpe where you can catch a bus into Norwich.

The Yacht Station, which was very handy for shopping and sightseeing.  It's also only a short walk to Morrison's from there. 

Before we visited someone on this forum told me that there is short-term mooring available between a couple of the Norwich bridges before you get to the Yacht Station, but although we were looking out for this, all we saw along that stretch was 'No mooring' signs.

The traffic noise during the day at the Yacht Station is pretty loud, but it does quieten down during the night.

Helen

• Like 2

Hi Andyfish, 

You only have three options with regards to mooring.

You can moor in the Norwich Yacht Station, if you can get under the Thorpe Railway Bridges then Thorpe, alternatively you can moor at Commissioners Cut. 

You can get a bus into Norwich from Thorpe or up the lane from Commissioners Cut.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Depends if your boat will go under the bridges in Thorpe. In which case, enjoy the free 24hr moorings on the River Green, a 10 minute bus ride to the city centre and on the way back, get off the bus at Rosary Corner (ask the driver), to have lunch in the Coach and Horses, which is also the Chalk Hill brewery. In my opinion, the best beer for miles around. And the cheapest.

In the evening, supper in the Buck, or the Rushcutters.

• Like 3

Bobella is an Ocean 30 so I reckon with canopy down we could go under the bridges

Vaughan that sounds like a plan to me

Thanks for all your advise

I been coming down 38 years and apart from hiring from hearts in 1989 I never been upto Norwich!

Cheers

Andy

52 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

As far as I could see when we visited in May, there are just a couple of options:

The Commissioners Cut which has a footpath to Thorpe where you can catch a bus into Norwich.

The Yacht Station, which was very handy for shopping and sightseeing.  It's also only a short walk to Morrison's from there. 

Before we visited someone on this forum told me that there is short-term mooring available between a couple of the Norwich bridges before you get to the Yacht Station, but although we were looking out for this, all we saw along that stretch was 'No mooring' signs.

The traffic noise during the day at the Yacht Station is pretty loud, but it does quieten down during the night.

Helen

You can still moor at Thorpe River Green, as soon as the town council put up their new signs I had a moan to the town clerk as from the river your eyes are drawn to the largest most bold writing on the sign which reads No Mooring, read the sign fully and you will see you are still permitted to moor for 24hrs.  I was told that the signs may well be changed.

• Like 4

Hi Andy

We go to Norwich at least twice a year staying two nights on each occassion and always moor in the Yacht Station- never had any problems. Either on the way in or out you can moor on the posts between Carrow Bridge and  Brittania Bridge for a couple of hours so you dont have to carry your Morrisons shopping so far.

From the Yacht Station we walk over Bishops Bridge and through the Cathederal grounds into town. Plenty of good shopping and excellent pubs/restaurants- we like The Lamb, St Andrews Brewhouse and Wetherspoons Glass House-all who do good pub grub and excellent beer, not forgetting The Ribs of Beef, which if you go under Bishops Bridge you can moor at if its available, for a beer.

Hope you enjoy your visit but be aware the mooring free in Norwich Yacht Station is £13 per night, including free showers & water

Cheers

Boycee:default_beerchug:

• Like 5

The 2hr mooring allowed just downstream of the NoviSad footbridge is now not allowed. It is council owned property, and the usual "non-litigation" excuse is the reason, I'm told. Having said that, there are no specific "No Mooring" signs there (or there weren't in June), so unless the council have a "mooring" warden, they'll need a court order to move you on. Can't see them getting that in 2 hours! We moor there for the retail park, anyway. (Ooops! Naughty Raymond, smacked wrist!).

• Like 1

We stayed at the Yacht Station last Sunday night and apart from a foreign man shouting into his mobile at 1130pm by the bench through the gate at the far end we had no other issues.

If you go as far up as the electric posts then dont go right up to the gate as we did because theres a bench just through that gate which people could (and did) hang around in the evening although the drunk man shouting was the only person we heard.  

I would also avoid mooring directly behind the bus stop because of the buses and waiting passengers.  There was also a homeless women asleep behind it at 8am Monday morning. 

I wouldnt say its any worse than any other City in the UK.  We were not disturbed otherwise apart from the traffic which is unavoidable.

As said the walk over Bishops Bridge and around the cathedral grounds is lovely, theres also the riverside park to wander around and Cow Tower but the wardens lock the gates at dusk and will chase you out!! 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Regulo said:

The 2hr mooring allowed just downstream of the NoviSad footbridge is now not allowed. It is council owned property, and the usual "non-litigation" excuse is the reason, I'm told. Having said that, there are no specific "No Mooring" signs there (or there weren't in June), so unless the council have a "mooring" warden, they'll need a court order to move you on. Can't see them getting that in 2 hours! We moor there for the retail park, anyway. (Ooops! Naughty Raymond, smacked wrist!).

:default_beerchug: