The Broads In The 1950's

LondonRascal

That was a real gem, Robin. I always look out for Brilliant on these old movies, no luck so far, but living in hope! 

Having a classic boat and seeing them all those years ago, and with people having the same good times is a great thing and makes you proud to be keeping some part of Broads History alive.

• Like 3

Those where the good Old days and Hiring a Cruiser was a Premium as I can Remember some of the Old Hiring Fleet such as Jenner's at Thorpe and Landermoors in Wroxham as to the Lights Boats at Potter Heigham where very good on the Rivers as to this very Day they have restored one as like to this Boat called Broads Ambition been restored as well now back on the Broads once again.

Andrew Cook  

Interesting watching the racing In Horning, Most of the Keel boats are still there and I know their current owners. I suspect many of the younger characters, are still with us in the club as well and maybe one or two of the older ones...

The big sign on the grass by the slipway where Southern comfort moors today, used to say the Swan Inn one side and Horning Sailing club the other.

I think the shots of Hickling broad showed No telegraph poles for the deep water channel which must have been interesting for the tourists!!

Shining Light was a one off, not sure what year she was built.  It has to be after 1953 as she is allocated B71, the original number for Delight I which was destroyed by fire in 1953 (also the weather vane on Ranworth has 1953 on it!) - but she is moving towards the modern Woods but still kept some of the old features.  Noticed the same fittings on the engine compartment cover as WR!

At Horning there were more boatyards (3 in the actual village) where you could moor as well so maybe helped free up some of the space?

Just keep an eye on You Tube and every so often a gem will pop up. I have some old Cine film here marked 'broads' which is not in the best of conditions but I will be getting transferred to digital files for upload to You Tube in due course. Also, I know somewhere I have an old camcorder video from 1999 or 2000 which I filmed goodness knows where the tape is camcorder long since packed up but I am sure is somewhere.

• Like 2

Hope this footage inspires somebody to save an old boat, we bought ours because I found about a dozen old photos of a holiday my mum and dad had in 1954 aboard Landamores Vesta 8 , stuck with me until I could do it.

Love every minute.