Aerial View Of Ferry Side Of Horning Moorings

DAVIDH

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Deebee29,

It's worth mentioning that at approx. 1min in he is hovering over Ferry Marina, but most of what you can see in the distance is not part of Ferry Marina. The furthest area is actually Richardsons moorings, the old Hornng Pleasurecraft basin. The next dyke is where Boulters are located and there are again some Richardsons moorings and other private moorings. I'm guessing Ferry marina is only about 50% of the moorings he shows.

I know the Ferry Marina well, we used to moor there up until 2008.

Part of our boat kit was wellies so we could get to the boat, if the road was not flooded the fixed moorings could and have been under water.

From the aerial shot it appear that there are still no floating pontoons.

No doubt the service area's are better now they are on the river rather than when we were there the service area was right at the back near the rental cottages, it was the same for fuel, we however used Boulters (already commented on and the Richardson moorings).

Brundall far better moorings.

Regards

Alan

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
8 minutes ago, Snowy said:

Out of interest, what bits are no fly zones ?

Probably most of it if you follow the rules. I'm not sure that the above video is entirely within the guidelines?

You shouldn't fly within 150m of a built up or congested area or crowds. Although the flyer claimed to have permission from the owner, it is doubtful he spoke to all the boat owners and private property owners.

You shouldn't fly closer than 50m to people or property. I believe this is without their permission. Considering the video was filmed at 7pm on a day when it had reached 26 degrees, I'm assuming it was Summertime. There must have been quite a few people on their boats and in their properties.

The more general stuff is you are not allowed to fly above 120m

You must be aware of restricted airspace and other air traffic

You must also obey the laws of privacy such as data protection act and the CCTV code of conduct if using the drone with a camera.

It's great to see the Broads like this.
If anyone has any ideas about part of the Broads they'd like to see then I'd be happy to do a bit of droning - Provided it's in a place that's legal of course. Some bits of the Broads are in a no-fly zone.

How about the old Le Boat yard in Horning...? Preferably in the next week or so?!

I jest- you can make it out on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, KingfishersTime said:

Probably most of it if you follow the rules. I'm not sure that the above video is entirely within the guidelines?

You shouldn't fly within 150m of a built up or congested area or crowds. Although the flyer claimed to have permission from the owner, it is doubtful he spoke to all the boat owners and private property owners.

You shouldn't fly closer than 50m to people or property. I believe this is without their permission. Considering the video was filmed at 7pm on a day when it had reached 26 degrees, I'm assuming it was Summertime. There must have been quite a few people on their boats and in their properties.

The more general stuff is you are not allowed to fly above 120m

You must be aware of restricted airspace and other air traffic

You must also obey the laws of privacy such as data protection act and the CCTV code of conduct if using the drone with a camera.

Ahh ok, I can understand all that, I did have a plan of buying one and sending it up looking for mooring spaces ahead of me and any boats that could possibly get to said moorings before I got there, but that may now not be possible

Guest ExMemberKingFisher
Just now, Snowy said:

Ahh ok, I can understand all that, I did have a plan of buying one and sending it up looking for mooring spaces ahead of me and any boats that could possibly get to said moorings before I got there, but that may now not be possible

In addition I believe you must maintain line of sight with the drone at all times.

I also had wondered about buying a drone, but to be honest it seems to be coming under the spotlight more and more these days and finding somewhere to fly, or at least where you would want to fly, is getting more difficult.

This video is definately not following the Drone Code, having made an assumption that relevant permissions were not sought and that the pilot does not hold a PfCO with the CAA. 

The drone code is well publicised and easy accessible to anyone but especially drone operators and flouting it will make the authorities more hell-bent on destroying a hobby which receives a lot of negative press already. 

I don't agree with Jonzo that it's complicated. The Drone Code is six incredibly simple rules to follow.

1. keep the aircraft in view at all times
  2. Stay below 120m
  3. follow manufacturers instructions
  4. Do not fly within 50M of any structure or people not under your control or within 150m of similar in a built up area. 
  5. You are responsible for each flight
  6. stay away from airfields and airports. 

None of this is rocket science yet we are constantly seeing people ignoring these very simple rules. 

In the last two weeks, there have been two landmark legal cases involving drones and this will only continue whilst people ignore these rules

http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

Additionally, due to local military installations, Horning is an area with an area with a lot of radio interference which can affect drones. Technically, Ferry Marina is outside this area, but extreme caution should be used. 

There are many apps that are useful with drones that show no-fly areas, windspeed (you shouldn't fly above 17mph windspeed) and other useful info. 

There's loads of help and guidance  out there for anyone who wants to look for it. 

• Thanks 1

Obviously it's rule number 4 that's going to cause all the arguments. The definition of "structure" and "are you in control of someone coming to you to see what you are doing?"

We know what the rules are trying to do, but once again they have been so badly written that they are almost indefinable, to the point of being either unenforceable or selective in who gets the blunt end of a jobsworth's tongue. A canal is man made, so is it a structure? The broads are also man made! What of St Bennets abbey? What of any quay heading? Who is going to say whether an area is "Built up" or not.

Another suggestion is, get a friend to walk away from you. shout "stop" when he is 120 metres away from you and measure the true distance. I wonder who would be how accurate. Harder still if you are estimating a flying object.

OK, maybe I'm being a bit of a "Devils advocate" here but it always grates a bit with me when I'm told a rule is simple and it just isn't. 

The rules aren't badly written - poorly conceived in places perhaps, but the drone code is simply laid out so that pretty-much anyone can get an understanding of the rules and if you need to have anything clarified, there are plenty of on-line resources available to deal with them.

A structure that you are in control of would be your house, but if your house is close to other houses that you are not in control of, you shouldn't fly within 50 meters of it. Additionally, if the area is built-up, you shouldn't fly over it at all. 

A structure would generally be taken as a protrusion from the ground - not a canal. Common sense will tell you if an area is built-up and areas can be congested at different times. A decent drone will tell you how far away it is from you and also give you an altitude reading. It really isn't hard. 

What is hard is finding suitable sites to fly. Cities are no-go areas as they are clearly built-up and congested. Towns and villages are similarly so. The National Trust does not allow drone flying on it's land although it doesn't own the airspace above it, so if you can find a lauch site outside of NT land that will allow you to fly and can keep the drone in sight at all times AND fly over NT land to get your photos at a suitable altitude that conforms, you can do this. 

Lots of variables in that and in many cases the chances of doing this are slimmer than a slim thing on a crash diet during a 100 mile hike.  

Then there's also no-fly-zones to consider. 

The rules are easy enough to consider and apply but the difficulty of finding suitable take-off and fly areas that will enable you to show the footage that you want often leads people to ignore the rules (if they bothered to learn them).

The important point is the Drone Code rule 5; You are Responsible for Each Flight. 

Should something go wrong, it's you that will be in trouble. 

• Thanks 1

That's a parrot isn't it? 

All the drones are susceptible to faults as far as I can tell. I was bricking myself flying mine out over the sea at Southwold a few weeks ago when I lost video contact with it. 

These little faults are all the more reason to ensure that you follow the drone code as if your aircraft causes damage or injury, the law will not be on your side. 

Having proper insurance is a must. 

I know these drones can be used for fun and interest, but it's likely that some users can be up to no good. A couple of months ago when I was sitting in my lounge I heard this buzzing noise and went into my garden to see what it was. One of these things was flying around, stopping now and again and it made me wonder if they were viewing peoples back gardens to get up to no good.

• Like 1

Guest ExMemberKingFisher

Because it seems that the members here cannot be trusted to have a proper conversation on a thread, therefore it is necessary at times to pre-emptively lock a thread before some one decides to step out of line. Perhaps all the threads could be locked and then their would be no need for moderation at all?  

I don't wish to cause an argument but I very much think that members on here can be trusted to have a proper conversation most of the time, a good laugh and always respectful towards each other, I find that remark offensive. This is a friendly forum with some smashing members who will make damn certain it stays that way

Grace

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5