How Long For The Recent High Waters To Recede?

Cockatoo

Thanks guys, for some reason I didn't realise there was a 12" rise and fall at Ludham. In my mind it was about 4" lol

Next week is my first step towards persuading Debs that a boat share would be a good idea and I don't think getting stuck on the Ant, not being able to get under any bridges, for a week would help :)

Steve

• Like 1

There's not 12 inches rise and fall at Ludham, surely? Like you Steve, in my mind it was 4 or 6 inches but I could be wrong. 

Steve, I would suggest if in doubt phoning Richardsons a few days before. Worst case scenario they would swap you to another boat at no cost. 

• Like 1

Having just come back, the tides were ridiculously high, St Benets over the quay head 3 hours before high tide 2 days ago, that said you 'should' be fine in a couple of days, was a case of unexpectedly high tides along the east coast combined with spring tide, and the tail end of a hurricane, for want of a better turn of phrase, it was 'the perfect storm'

Looking at the Lowestoft graph's for the last 3 tides they look pretty much back to  normal now :default_biggrin:, the southern side has the same problems as the north as in the water doesn't go out , then again I'm pretty used to it now after 8 yrs and always this time of yr .

Yup, water levels have been extremely high over the last few days, especially on Friday, when the gauge board at Potter bridge was reading just 5’3” three hours before high water.  The dry shed  at Hunters Yard was doing a wetshed impression, 30 metres of the St Benets moorings were underwater.  Things should return to normal over the next week or so.

Having moored at Ludham Bridge for about 5 years ,we would say that rarely ,if ever would you see much more than 4 to 6 inches of tidal rise and fall

Having said that we are exactly 8'6" air draught and often went under at 8' 2" with no problems, as there is generally around 4 or5 inches more than the board shows- but in a hire vessel I would call Rickos for advice before attempting iti- n a hire vessel caution should be exercised as its your responsibilty and the bridge markers often get  hit and reset...

If in any doubt exercise common sense , arrive at low tide and be aware that  occassionaly you might not get through, however most Richardsons boats coming from Stalham  do pass under Ludham regularly or they would not be there.