Independence - Updates | Maintenance & Care

LondonRascal

4 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Because you would be better with Griff than you would be with me :default_smiley-angelic002:

His jokes are better as well.

Yes but when the water is up to your knees the joke is over .....................been there!

Sorry Mr. Griff I don't know you and I've never met you, but from what i've read, maybe you could be quite useful 100 miles offshore with a problem.

No need for any apology imho.  And I would only be useful if the situation occurring that I actually had knowledge / experience with.  If a plotter / GPS / Radar packed up, I would not have a scooby doo.  But then I do know how to use a pencil on a chart!

Griff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand your comment was in general Mark, but I quoted LR as the issues battered about on here, that there looked into by him, input on here by othere etc. the point I made was that it's good that he puts his hand up if the wrong choice is made which is good. Not a jack of all and master of none etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I bet he has a life saving badge and red Baywatch trunks. :default_biggrin:

I think we've all all got the "Gold" for watching Baywatch... apart form bid T^ts what was the program about? 

1 minute ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Always thought it was Babewatch.

Babewatch, wow I've always thought myself as being so smart........ how can I have missed that, for so many years. I thought it was an advertisement for the company making those orange floats they always carried.

1 minute ago, psychicsurveyor said:

The Orange floats are fenders.  Its all Pamerla Andersons fault that I became obsessed with boats,  I couldn't keep my young eyes of them floats.

I think some therapy or medication may be required......... please just how far has this obsession transgressed?

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Sorry Mr. Griff I don't know you and I've never met you, but from what i've read, maybe you could be quite useful 100 miles offshore with a problem.

No need for any apology imho.  And I would only be useful if the situation occurring that I actually had knowledge / experience with.  If a plotter / GPS / Radar packed up, I would not have a scooby doo.  But then I do know how to use a pencil on a chart!

Griff

We used to sail around the Thames estuary as teenagers (a posh friend's father had a bilge keel Snapdragon) this was before GPS and Plotter so if we got it wrong the boat would stop till the tide came up again.

I'm loving this thread. In two pages it has gone from how Robin's fuel manifold works, through dodgy tradesmen to Pamela Andersons t%ts :)

One thing I have got from this thread is that Robin knows what he doesn't know and has asked for help from people that do.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the sea trials and the trip to Norfolk. Debs and I will be around the Southern Broads mid March and hope you are up for a social call if you are onboard Robin.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm looking forward to hearing about the sea trials

Me too, now starting to keep an eye on the marine wx forecast for Saturday.  Ideally wind speed no more than 30kts with a max of a 2m swell, Independence is capable of handling larger seas and stronger winds but I don't want to push it or have it too uncomfortable for the crew

Griff

• Like 1

Anyroadup, enough of all this hilarity and nonsense, I'm off out to re-grout a bathroom floor, noisy / dusty job at the best of times. Yesterday it was fixing a black sparkly resin upstand in a kitchen then black grout (I hate working with black grout - Pet hate) , prior to that I somehow got roped into re-finishing timber kitchen worktops and a dining room table - That one was daughters fault, telling her mates how good hers had come up.  Looking forward to the 299 mile drive down to Plymouth in t morning

Griff

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I'm looking forward to hearing about the sea trials

Me too, now starting to keep an eye on the marine wx forecast for Saturday.  Ideally wind speed no more than 30kts with a max of a 2m swell, Independence is capable of handling larger seas and stronger winds but I don't want to push it or have it too uncomfortable for the crew

Griff

Or even too uncomfortable for the boats owner either :default_stinky:

to comment back to a post from the last page, I find that having enough knowledge to come up with a possible diagnosis for a fault, is usually enough to stop most garages trying it on, I can do pretty much anything on my car- up to and including an engine re-build (and have done in the past) but sometimes, you just dont want to spend the time and effort to do it yourself, get cold and mucky, and generally have the faff. so you go in and ask the professionals to do the job.

my local garage (on the estate where I work) know I can do most jobs - at last years MOT the car failed on a suspension ball joint,  the part was ordered by me for next day before 10 am delivery to my work place, at lunch time the suspension arm was removed and replaced, and by 2pm the car was outside the garage that did the MOT ready for re-test, they took a quick look, saw the new part, and issued me with the pass certificate. then I changed out of my overalls, cleaned up and went back and worked all afternoon satisfied with a job well done.

Thus now we have discussions when work needs doing, but they are generally about the technical details, and I dont get the normal bulls**t that some garages try and give their customers, I get charged a fair hourly rate that corresponds to the amount of work that needs to be done, and they do a good job.

another garage that tried it on when I took my car in for air con service and regas, lost a customer forever, when their mechanic tried to tell me he would have to test the system for leaks using nitrous oxide rather than inert nitrogen. I had pre-booked and pre paid for this service, but after that their head office got a complaint, and the payment was refunded.

i think the moral of the story is that you need to know enough about your system to be able to cope in an emergency, and be able to tell if someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes, but you dont have to do the work yourself under normal conditions.

• Like 4

So the time is ever closer - the last parcels have arrived today (including my vinyl names for the boat) - I measured the stern one, I guessed the size for the bow ones. I now feel they may be a little too tall to fit within the blue band that goes around the boat from the bow.  That said,  I am not worried since these are not the final 'design' but there was no way I am leaving the marina without the boat being named before hand so these are basic single colour decals was a must for the stern.

I have also found a site that has a weather station 'over the way' from the marina and live updates every 10 minutes for wind speed and direction (handy) - Weather File

This is forecast is from a pretty comprehensive App Windy that I have purhcased:

Image-1.jpg

As you will see Saturday wind is decreasing from 19Kts (gusting 27Kts) on Friday to a much nicer 8Kts to 4.5Kts Saturday afternoon. There will be waves of between 7ft and 6ft with a well period of about 9 seconds.

However, despite it being long range it is not looking very good towards our departure date - for example 26th January has long range forecast of up to 34Kts winds.

I am all set for long journey tonight - leave work, straight to Paddington and get a train down.By the time I get to the boat it will be gone 11pm but at least I am there - tonight's weather is poor as is Thursday - lots of wind and rain. Still what do you expect for this time of year.

• Like 3