Dogs Onboard

Lulu

We have two large dogs who havent been onboard yet. Stern on mooring to get them on and off shouldnt be a problem but I am concerned about side on mooring and different heights we will encounter. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can tackle this?  Ive been looking at ramps and steps etc.   We are gettting them life jackets but i know i wouldnt be able to lift them on and off. 

(We have a Falcon 27)

Thank you for deleting deebee. I pressed submit and got an error message then submitted again and it came up twice! 

The dogs arent terribly agile. Im trying to find an adjustable ramp or steps to allow for different levels from the bank to the side of the boat 

We’ve got an old border collie that loves the water. A life jacket helps a lot as the better ones have a handle that makes it a lot easier lifting them.

feea9468c8c2443789e2fd57a3784f99.jpg

Completely unhelpful picture as not on a boat and without life jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

We have a Falcon 27 ,and have had 2 labs on board, it,s a bit tight for space ,and ours loved the water......in it most of the time if you let them,two wet labs in a 27, not good! but enjoyable,ours were very agile so would jumps straight out! when side on mooring. only hav e a  small dog now so not so much a problembraken.thumb.JPG.dcaca19bfd89f0a63f5b3abd66722ed7.JPG

• Like 2

I cant lift 37kg of hound
love the pic :default_biggrin:

I think you’d be assisting rather than lifting. If he / she did fall in at least they would be kept afloat and you’d have something to hang on to and it would help whoever helped you to lift. If it’s a worry keeping a boat hook nearby might help too.
Thank you. She’s completely obsessed with the water.

Me, my wife and our dog are fairly new to boating, although a bit reluctant to board she loves it once we are under way. The sight of some tasty treat is usually enough for her to find a way to clamber aboard.

The same works for our dog ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, JohnK said:

We’ve got an old border collie that loves the water. A life jacket helps a lot as the better ones have a handle that makes it a lot easier lifting them.

feea9468c8c2443789e2fd57a3784f99.jpg

Completely unhelpful picture as not on a boat and without life jacket emoji57.png

By the look on his/her face it don't seem that keen on water!!??

Have a good one.

Regards Alan (aka Happy)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ray said:

Me, my wife and our dog are fairly new to boating, although a bit reluctant to board she loves it once we are under way. The sight of some tasty treat is usually enough for her to find a way to clamber aboard.

The same works for our dog ;)

A warm :default_welcome: to the forum Ray, from me and the Wench (some call her Inge).

Charlie

• Like 1

We had a lifejacket for ours but he chewed through one of the straps in under 2 days !  He's only 9KG's so can be lifted out by his harness, we live close to the canal and he went in twice when we first got him.  He's learned from his mistakes and not been in since !

18057965_10210813228381059_6722630966631957920_n.jpg

• Like 1

We have a life jacket for Missy, but it is a bit big for her and overhangs at the back. Since dogs, when swimming, are supposed to use their tail for steering, we didn't want to leave her without directional control if she falls into the wet stuff. She has the harness and, when not posing for photos,  a long lead, which is secured when we are setting off or mooring. The great thing about a chihuahua is that she can't climb out onto the deck without human assistance.