3 Rivers Race 2018

TheQ

• 3 months later...

Just to correct things slightly, Kevin Saunders is the New Chairman of the 3RR committee, and Ian Bray has been strong armed into being the new Race Officer.

Knowing Both, I'm sure they will do a good job..

• Like 1

I would have thought (and if nobody has then they can consider) getting each competitor to have a simple GPS tracker - although they can still report to the 'guard ships' this data can be collected real time an shared online overlaid with Google Maps and then see what boat is where, at what speed and so on bringing more engagement with the public..

• Like 1

I've just looked up the cost of tracker hire and that would add around £15 to the £50 entry charge for a 2 person boat with breakfast.  A quite considerable increase. Whether or not that would put people off I don't know..

However next Time I see the committee, I'll have a chat about it.

It would certainly show those boats that somehow manage to keep moving during the night, when everyone else has come to a halt with no wind...

• Like 3

All I know is that while hanging on the the reeds at Stokesby one year, long with a lot of other boats. From behind I could see lights, red light then green light, red light then green light, red light then green light, red light then green light. As a boat approached close to the bank behind us....when then it stopped next to the bank about a hundred feet behind....

In the mean time I've just had a look at the tides.

This year the predicted Low tide is around 10:00 at Horning, so the First start at 11:00  one hour and  later will be into the tide. The last boats start an hour and a half later, they will be into full tide against them.

Lets hope there is a good wind  or it could be real struggle for the slow / later boats.  However if you can make Thurne mouth by say 15: 00 I can see a lot of boats going up with the last of the tide to Hickling then back down with the tide.

Judging whether  you do none, one or two of the short legs first will I think be key again this year.

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:10, TheQ said:

In the mean time I've just had a look at the tides.

This year the predicted Low tide is around 10:00 at Horning, so the First start at 11:00  one hour and  later will be into the tide. The last boats start an hour and a half later, they will be into full tide against them.

Lets hope there is a good wind  or it could be real struggle for the slow / later boats.  However if you can make Thurne mouth by say 15: 00 I can see a lot of boats going up with the last of the tide to Hickling then back down with the tide.

Judging whether  you do none, one or two of the short legs first will I think be key again this year.

Two years ago I watched the race from Stokesby Ferry and judged when the majority of the boats would turn up just right. It was great fun to watch and got very very busy around 4-6pm.

Was thinking of the same spot again this year but the low tide really isn't at a good time. As you point out 10am at Horning, so next low at Stokesby probably around 10pm. The fastest boats have normally completed the course by then. So am I right in assuming that most boats will aim for Stokesby at slack high water? probably around 4pm? and depending on wind either head straight down towards Stokesby, or do one or two of the shorter legs to take up time to ensure arrival at Stokesby around 4pm?

I'm no expert, but would assume that most will head to Stokesby first, the faster boats taking in one or two of the shorter legs on route, then the majority doing Potter last before heading back to Horning?

Has the lower Bure mark ever been upstream of The Stokesby Ferry? With the timing of the tide I can see it being closer than normal.

I think, 3 years ago, there was little wind so the mark was moved just north of Acle Bridge...

If the wind is light this year it may be really hard against the tide to even get to Thurne mouth in time to make finishing possible.

What The Q is saying is if light/average wing, 15.00 Thurne mouth, up to Hickling on rising tide, back from Hickling on falling tide, arrive Acle 21.00 ish, then ride the rising tide all the way to Horning to finish 03.00. Sounds fun!

But, if its windy.... all different.

If you want entertainment you cant beat the Ludham Bridge mark.... Makes me anxious just thinking about it...90 degree left, 90 degree right, round the mark, repeat in reverse and hope there isn't a big river cruiser coming the other way...

BatraBill, is correct on the interpretation of what I was trying to say, although if the wind is super strong or super light all bets are off.

One year I started in light winds from one of the last starts, sailed round the Sawn in Corner, to see the entire fleet between The Swan and the New Inn. Just not enough wind for anyone to sail against the tide, so we all sat there and drifted about, till the tide changed and we drifted down river out of the trees and got some light breeze...

Nicked from Twitter. Hope OK Mr Q sir!  :default_biggrin:

Preparations for the Three Rivers Race are well underway. Firstly, please welcome our new sponsors, @yminsurance who will be at the club on race day.

Secondly, entries are coming in but time is ticking away. The extended closing date is over the upcoming early May bank holiday weekend so we can finalise the start list.

:default_sailing:

• 2 weeks later...

A few of the race entries have gone astray if you haven't received your race information please contact the organisers. 
3rr.uk 
They are back tracking any payments to try to trace the missing entries

Hello, life has started appearing on the HSC web cams, Herbert woods camera onto Potter Bridge has appeared, and interestingly it appears to be live live pictures not 15 second apart stills.

A week and 2 days and 15 minutes to go..

Today being Thursday the observant of you will notice volunteers getting the sailing club ready for the sailing school where later up to 80 kids and the odd adult will arrive to be taught the gentle art of sailing in ever decreasing circles.

Though thats not on next Thurday as the front will be lined by boats for the 3RR

I don't actually have any news on the situation, I'll be down the sailing club tomorrow, to PAT test all the cooking equipment so everyone can have their bacon butties and breakfasts, So I might find out then. If not then one day next week in the evening  we'll get a Guardship briefing,(and pick up all the gear) So I will find out then.

Personnally, I wouldn't have asked BA, all someone has done is trot out a standard answer. "No mooring for more than twenty four hours, no you can't reserve a mooring." The River Rangers are somewhat more sensible, When you've moored up and put all the signs up, they'll come alongside for a chat, but won't do anything like report you.

I suspect if the Acle guardship goes down there, even on Friday, the rangers won't do anything stupid.

• Like 1