Swing Bridges

Labrador

2 hours ago, grendel said:

I think Robin put his airdraft higher than that.

It is to the top of the radar arch - so removing the domes and radar itself would get thins under that..

I don't think that Reedham will loose it's swing bridge any time soon - there are a lot of boats on the Broads the 'other side' to consider. That is not to say it would not one day, but think of it like this you would either have a situation where Network Rail was going to replace the bridge with a non-swing version and notice was given such would be going to happen.

I would then move off to Lake Loathing prior to it being replaced and I would imagine a lot of others would want to do the same with tall boats. The various Marina's in Brundall would loose a lot of large  boats one way or the other so it would have a knock on effect to their business as well.

The problem really is one day something will need to be done and it comes down to money more than anything, that said the removal of the old Victorian signally, manual crossing gates etc on the Brundall line is on going and that is not cheap but overall saves money in the future - less staff to pay for as well.

Reedham bridge will probably be safe for a while. The sugar factory were looking at cane being brought by boat at one time but I think that idea has been dropped. Bridge operational reliability no doubt a factor, although access for ships to bring large plant would be desirable. 

Trowse bridge I think is only a matter of time. I can't ever remember seeing it open.

Somerlayton bridge  we have only passed under a few times. Any closure or further restriction of opening here would effectively cutoff a huge section of the Broads for a lot of craft.

Any attempt to close or further restrict opening of any bridge is unacceptable. 

Personally, I can get our boats under all these bridges. We only require 8ft to clear but I'm more than willing to standup and be counted to keep these bridges operational.

Colin:default_winko:

• Like 2

Blue Sky thinking required here - given the ENORMOUS number of people travelling on what is often a virtually empty one car train, how about closing the the Yarmouth and Lowestoft branches and providing a good bus service for those wanting to travel to those thriving sea side resorts. Take Yarmouth for example well served by the X1/X11 route - no need even for taxis as the buses more than adequate - what about the intermediate stations I hear some cry? Ok use taxis as a feeder.

Bit radical I accept but must be an option. Easily solves the bridge problem though!!

• Sad 1

I am very much in favour of rail travel and I am glad to read that the use of trains is on the increase these days.

Although electric traction and modern signalling technology seem to mean that the service is vulnerable to even the smallest of adverse weather conditions, which it never used to be. This week Greater Anglia cancelled more than 320 trains before the bad weather even got here!  And "owing to the weather" there is no replacement bus service. A transport system that you can only rely on when the sun is shining is of little use.

What concerns me is that we should not have to lose rights of navigation which have existed for hundreds of years. A long time before the railways came to the Broads!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, marshman said:

Blue Sky thinking required here - given the ENORMOUS number of people travelling on what is often a virtually empty one car train, how about closing the the Yarmouth and Lowestoft branches and providing a good bus service for those wanting to travel to those thriving sea side resorts. Take Yarmouth for example well served by the X1/X11 route - no need even for taxis as the buses more than adequate - what about the intermediate stations I hear some cry? Ok use taxis as a feeder.

Bit radical I accept but must be an option. Easily solves the bridge problem though!!

Very simple fact, if you want to encourage people to use public transport they are unlikely to be inclined to travel by bus but will by rail. The whole Broads rail network should be converted to a light - rail system of the type to be introduced shortly between Rotherham and Sheffield and used widely across Europe. Extensions could then be made as tramways into the centres of Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft and Norwich providing quality public transport to where it's needed. 

Fred

• Like 2