Richardson's Have Contacted All Their Clients With Regards To Bookings From Today Until Tuesday

ranworthbreeze

Richardson's Boating - Norfolk Broads Boating Holidays

We have contacted all of our guests that were due to start their boating holiday from Friday 2nd March 2018 through Tuesday 6th March 2018 inclusive to let them know we will be cancelling their boating holiday due to adverse weather conditions. We understand this will be disappointing for those who were due to go out on the Broads this weekend however we have taken this decision in consideration of the safety and enjoyment of our guests and the safety of our team members. We would like to assure all of those affected that you will be issued with a full refund as soon as is possible and that we will be offering a gesture of good will to those affected wishing to book a future holiday with us.

The wind can break up the by now quite substantial ice flows that are on the rivers and than can be quite damaging to a boat's hull. On top of that working on a boat's deck can be hazardous when ice forms. An inevitable and wise decision by Richardsons.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Don't forget that Richardson's boat have to cross Barton and if that's like Oulton Broad then it's frozen over. Personally I think that Richardsons have made the right & responsible decision.

Agreed, sometimes people need to be protected from themselves, and I'm not comfortable saying that.

• Like 2

If I had booked a Broads holiday starting tomorrow, I would be very appreciative that Richardsons had cancelled it, given me a full refund plus some other gesture of goodwill  

I have my own boat and had planned a trip this weekend. Needless to say I'm at home. I'd rather be on the boat, but there is no way I'm attempting to move it in this weather. It is berthed in brackish water and I would guess it is still pretty much frozen in. Anything up top end of The Ant must be frozen in. If you have a holiday booked with Richardson's, at best it becomes a floating cold home from home, as you are not leaving the marina. At worst it becomes a very dangerous slippery affair as you tip toe on and off the boat, slide around the wooden quay headings and generally feel rather miserable being stuck in the marina. A cancelled trip away is always disappointing, but can always be rearranged. Far better than a broken leg, or arm.

Richardson's had some recent bad (not undeserved in my opinion) bad press, but in this decision I cannot fault them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well we are knee deep in snow this morning that fell overnight to nicely top up what we had already.      I guess that was Storm Emma, well Emma as much as we like snow could you take yourself off to somewhere else please?     Anyone planning to come to the Broads that doesn't have to my advice would be to stay put in the warm.    

Just imagine trying to moor up at The Wherry Hotel as photo or elsewhere on the Broads that if not frozen over are as bad.    These boat yards that have released boats are giving their customers a very limited choice of where to go.     I cannot imagine that water points are not frozen up.

2018-03-03 (2).png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Even as a 'seasoned' winter hirer I wouldn't want to be out there at the moment! Our recent trip was positively tropical by comparison! I've seen pictures on Twitter of ice at the top of Breydon. It's quite bad here in flat cap land but nothing like Norfolk. 

• Like 5

Have to say having watched the video, in my view it appears a little "surprising" that boatyards have let people out knowing the weather to come.  Quite apart from the conditions hirers will find themselves cruising in,  the danger they will be putting themselves in when mooring up with strong winds and deep snow is quite frightening. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

I watched one of "High Seas" videos last night that he put up this week. Seeing how frozen the Ant was you could easily understand why Richardson's had to cancel their bookings.

Looks like an interesting video Jean. Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look. 

Looking at the webcam at Barnes Brinkcraft there are people loading all their luggage onto one of boats. The quayside looks covered in snow still although there is undoubtedly a thaw underway where I am in Essex.

• Like 1