Hemsby

There are quite a few areas along that coastline that are falling away. It must be horrendous to watch the cliffs recede knowing there is nothing you can do about it. Nature is so powerful and so very often scary. If 8 of those homes which have been declared uninhabitable are full time residential properties, everything will be lost when they eventually tumble. I wonder how many of them would be insured. 

I must admit I have a belief that insurance companies, in general will have run for the hills as far as insuring Hemsby is concerned. With losing 10 yards of sand in one pair of storms, one winter, anyone living within 250 yards of the beach is unlikely to be able to get a Mortgage on a normal term, nor insurance.

According to one of the unfortunate homeowners, his place was 400 yards inland when he built it, I think he said 50 years ago! My cousin has a chalet on one of the parks there, and reckons it'll be a beach hut in 30 years time!

I have just spent the last weekend walking the Norfolk coast from Weybourne to Sea Palling. Real feel of minus 11 and gale force 8 winds, but still stunning coastline and views. There is some very severe erosion at Happisburgh, Trimingham and Overstrand to name a few. I can tell the pub was most welcome come the evening.

It does seem a lottery as to which parts of the coast they will defend and which parts they won't. Heard a story in the pub that one of the homes in Hemsby that is now under threat was sold six years ago for a £1. Would imagine that a lot of areas are very hard if not impossible to insure.

A lot of agricultural land is also being lost as well as parts of holiday parks.

20180318144658_IMG_2050.JPG

• Sad 1

Does anyone remember this huge beauty being for sale a couple of years ago ?

I was sorely tempted but the sea is getting closer by the month.

Think the price started over £1m, last seen nearer £750k I believe.

No idea whether it sold.

I really feel for all those affected.

Happisburgh Manor.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, charlesa said:

Does anyone remember this huge beauty being for sale a couple of years ago ?

I was sorely tempted but the sea is getting closer by the month.

Think the price started over £1m, last seen nearer £750k I believe.

No idea whether it sold.

I really feel for all those affected.

Happisburgh Manor.jpg

Taken from the other side, still a good way from the coast yet!

20180317_131113.jpg