Tabernacle

Hi , I am looking for a mast tabernacle for Aquila. The width required is approx. 2.75 inches. Anybody got one stashed away or know where I could get one made up ?

I am in Lowestoft but can travel. Oh, and also, I have found a great chandlers for old boat bits and pieces in Oulton Broad. Right Aladins cave. Roy Marshall by Lowestoft Marina.

Thanks Nigel

You might do worse that ringing Jeckells Sails and asking them to suggest a fabricator, they got a replacement sorted for a broken mast on our Swift 18. That was aluminium btw

I hesitate to disagree with JM cos he has forgotten more than I will ever know about boats, but I'd be a bit unsure about a wooden one with an alloy mast. 

13 minutes ago, Polly said:

You might do worse that ringing Jeckells Sails and asking them to suggest a fabricator, they got a replacement sorted for a broken mast on our Swift 18. That was aluminium btw

I hesitate to disagree with JM cos he has forgotten more than I will ever know about boats, but I'd be a bit unsure about a wooden one with an alloy mast. 

Just curious as to why? Several members of the River Cruiser Cruise Class thus rigged. Martin Broom's, for example.

Almosr all the wooden masted boats had wooden tabernackles, and a wooden mast is a lot hevier than a alloy one.

That being said I just drew up what I wanted, took it it to a stainless steel fabricator and he cut and welded it up for me. (long time ago in Northunberland)

I'm no sailie, but without wishing to cross swords with JM I too would go metal, preferably in Stainless Steel. A wooden one will surely require regular maintenance to keep it looking tidy. SS would be 'fit & forget' Also I'd doubt there would be a significant difference in price. There are several sheet metal fabricators in the broadland area and I'd be tempted to ask at the boatyard at the end of Upton Dyke, who's name temporarily escapes me.

• Like 1

I thought metal would be stronger with an alloy mast, for less bulk; Rondonay would have looked weird with a wooden tabernacle, being a small modern boat, while Brilliant, as a river cruiser,  would look wrong with metal. Happy to stand corrected of course, 

• Like 1

At the end of the day, wood or metal, both equally capable, all depends on the boat to which it is being fitted. Wooden ones tend to be used when counterweights are involved and the foot of the mast goes down to the floors and there's a carling hatch in the foredeck, the whole thing being an integral part of the boat's structure. If it's just going to be a dinky little deck mounted affair then galvanised or stainless is excellent and probably to be prefered. If a bronze, trad type job is required than Classic Marine down at Woodbridge really are the mutt's nutts.

1 hour ago, Polly said:

I thought metal would be stronger with an alloy mast, for less bulk; Rondonay would have looked weird with a wooden tabernacle, being a small modern boat, while Brilliant, as a river cruiser,  would look wrong with metal. Happy to stand corrected of course, 

Entirely right!