Why Does Reedham Have A Quay Ranger?

Meantime

You seem intent on an argument. I witnessed something and attempted to report it to the correct authority who is there in a position of safety and working for the authority who control the waterway in question. I was an observer and also attempting to be a user of the service provided by attempting to bring it to their attention. Or are you suggesting I should have just turned a blind eye and carried on drinking my pint even though someone was stranded on the bridge support?

I'm pretty sure they would have had a complaint if the person in question had fallen into the water and been swept down towards Yarmouth.

I sincerely hope YOU do more than just observe when you see someone who may be in trouble.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

You seem intent on an argument. I witnessed something and attempted to report it to the correct authority who is there in a position of safety and working for the authority who control the waterway in question. I was an observer and also attempting to be a user of the service provided by attempting to bring it to their attention. Or are you suggesting I should have just turned a blind eye and carried on drinking my pint even though someone was stranded on the bridge support?

I'm pretty sure they would have had a complaint if the person in question had fallen into the water and been swept down towards Yarmouth.

I sincerely hope YOU do more than just observe when you see someone who may be in trouble.

The bridge being about 300 meters away from the pub, a blind eye is about as good as you could see in terms of real detail.

Only swept to Yarmouth, why not out to sea ?

1 minute ago, Philosophical said:

The bridge being about 300 meters away from the pub, a blind eye is about as good as you could see in terms of real detail.

Only swept to Yarmouth, why not out to sea ?

Yep as I thought. No interest in a debate just an argument or a wind up. Good night find someone else to play with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I'm at lunch and the bridge is not my jurisdiction. There was still a person stranded on the bridge support at that time. I don't care if it was his bloody lunch or not. Common sense says as a matter of safety he should show an interest and at least inform Broads control in case a launch was in the area.

Is he not entitled to a break for lunch then?

He cant be looking both ways at the same time!

If it was of that much concern to you, why didnt you ring broads control, before leaving the pub to walk to the hut?

• Like 3

In answer to what I think was your original question. The answer is NO, the moorings at Reedham in the days before a mooring attendant was stationed there, people got on with it and helped each other. In those day there was the added coaster traffic and far more hire boats.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

Is he not entitled to a break for lunch then?

He cant be looking both ways at the same time!

If it was of that much concern to you, why didnt you ring broads control, before leaving the pub to walk to the hut?

You know, this is as close to trolling as another member got last night, but I'll play the game and answer, although I'm surprised as a moderator you weren't more interested in last night's baiting!!

Yes he is entitled to lunch, but I would expect him to maybe show a little concern when a member of the public may be in trouble.

I agree he cannot be looking both ways at the same time, and don't expect him to, which is why I walked over to speak to him and alert him. It is the response after that is staggering.

If you know Reedham you will know the rangers hut is about 100 yards if that from the outside seating area. Since the ranger works for the BA, as do Broads control, who would you go to if you had witnessed it? It was quicker to go to the ranger who I assumed would have all the correct numbers to hand, than look up the number for, and ring Broads control.

2 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Is he a ranger or is he a mooring attendant ????

Semantics. He works for the BA and safety should be one of his primary aims, or roles!! One of the rangers, or mooring attendants correctly got a award for jumping into the river at Yarmouth last year to save a girl who had fallen in. Glad he wasn't at lunch, but then I rather suspect if he had have been, it would have made little difference. Chalk and cheese springs to mind.

• Like 1

Well, I seem to have missed all the fun again, last night!

In my experience there are two main boating centres on the Broads where there is the most danger to holiday boaters, from tidal currents. The first, of course, is GYYS and the second is Reedham.

The danger from this tidal current is not so much the difficulty in mooring but the risk of falling in. Reedham, like Yarmouth, has an "undertow", which is a form of vertical eddy in the current, especially during the ebb tide. This has the effect of turning you over in the water and even a strong swimmer cannot control this, unless wearing a life jacket. Those falling in must be got out as quickly as possible and this may involve the throwing of a lifeline.

I am sure that the BA would agree with me, that this is the main role of the quay attendant. Naturally he will assist people to moor if he sees they are having trouble but I see no obligation for him to take your lines if he can see clearly that you know what you are doing. He will often do so out of courtesy but he is not there to provide valet parking ; he is the quay attendant.

Let us not forget that safety on Reedham quay also affects yachts wishing to moor to lower mast or wait for the bridge and this will also require his assistance.

I am sure I remember rightly, that before the BA there was always an attendant on Reedham quay in summer, provided by the parish council? If so they were obviously aware of the need.

So, do we need a safety attendant at Reedham? I vote yes and I bet any hire boat operator would as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I shall cast little in the way of opinion on this but will ask a couple of questions. Is the bridge not manned? Would those on the bridge not be fully aware of what to do under these circumstances... I don't know!

I am one of those who have found the BA attendants at Reedham to be helpful and am surprised to hear otherwise. I would also be in favour of their remaining.

• Like 1

Personal opinion is that we should bring this thread to a close. We should be able to have an honest discussion without the need to stomp feet and throw bricks (exaggeration for affect). There are some very interesting points but assassination by forum is not one of our finer points.

please do not prolong the discussion by commenting on this. We are actually deterring people from posting on the forum and making good contributions by some of the current behaviours on the forum.

take time to read the guidelines.

this is a general message not person specific.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

On 07/06/2018 at 19:53, Wussername said:

I do not understand. You had no issues with regard to mooring. He assisted others. An off day?

Andrew

I was referring to the original post.  Maybe it was an off day then.  I have always found the rangers polite and helpful.

• Like 1