Why Does Reedham Have A Quay Ranger?

Meantime

Can anybody answer me why Reedham has a quay ranger. I stopped there last week and spent a couple of hours outside the Lord Nelson and watched as a number of boats came in and had trouble mooring. I also watched as a few boats were having issues leaving, either leaving with the tide and not reversing off or struggling to get the ropes off in time. I pointed out to my mate that the particular ranger who was on duty was unlikely to be offering much assistance and during our stay I didn't see him help one boat!!!!

This makes me angry because I was under the impression that the ranger is based at Reedham as a safety precaution. Now I understand he cannot be at both ends of the  quay at the same time, but he could at least attempt to help some of the people.

So why exactly does Reedham need a ranger? The only other locations that do have rangers are Norwich and Yarmouth, both where a charge is levied for mooring. Norwich is a fairly still mooring, so I assume the ranger is based there to collect the mooring fees and operate the pumpout. Yarmouth on the other hand has a high tidal flow, and big rise and fall, so on pure safety grounds it probably warrants a ranger or two being based there. Reedham on the other hand is a free mooring and there are other free BA moorings with as strong a tidal flow that do not have BA rangers. The Berney Arms, Burgh Castle (now closed) Polkeys Mill, so why Reedham?

I'm sure the reply will still be on the grounds of safety. Well consider the pricing policy of the mooring fees at Yarmouth and tell me how that promotes safety? Leave by 10am at what ever the current state of tide happens to be, or pay another fee for the daytime period!! Leave with the tide under you pushing you towards a bridge you may not have clearance to go under, or pay another fee!! If this authority was truly concerned about safety it would put an active ranger at Reedham, and would revise the charging policy at Yarmouth to ensure that the period you pay for is valid until the next low tide AFTER the period you have paid for. If low water was at 1pm, then in my book on the grounds of safety, the overnight mooring fee should last until the 1pm low water, not 10am as it does currently. All boats should be encouraged to depart Yarmouth at the appropriate time for low or slack water, rather than leave early or be fleeced for an extended mooring fee.

I’m a little at odds about the ranger at Reedham not being helpful. I’ve visited the broads very 2 years since 1995,  and every time been there, the ranger has always assisted. Last year I stood off for ten mins as he assisted the novice skipper, get a 40 footer in. Only space left was in front of that mooring boat. He was talking them through the process and checking that I ok mid stream. Has their brief changed since my last visit in October?  ( ps, yearly visits from now on, roll on three weeks time when on serenade 4)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tonplus said:

We were at Reedham the other day and the ranger on duty did come out and have a look as we moored up but when it was clear we were ok he went back in. I saw him help others though, maybe it was just an off day.

I do not understand. You had no issues with regard to mooring. He assisted others. An off day?

Andrew

• Like 2

Interesting question and I don't know the answer. The quay rangers at Yarmouth are always helpful, five star, but at Reedham they have never helped me but in fairness, to-date, I have never required it. Anyway I thought that I'd check on the BA website, seems that rangers are there to guide you and to sell you ordnance survey maps!

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/yacht-stations

18 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I do have been there a number of times and the Ranger has not helped anyone.

I am often at Reedham I used to live there for a number of years. To this day I visit summer and winter on a regular basis. I know some of the quay assistants very well. Without exception they have all carried out their duties in an exemplary manner. I cannot speak though for those who have recently joined. I have not met them or seen them.

Andrew

• Like 1

Seems to me to be a waste of toll payers money, unless it is genuinely for safety, but if it is, then he needs to get out of the hut more and provide some value for money. Not the first time I have noticed this at Reedham, hence forewarning the friend I was with, who was amazed at just how little the ranger did. Anyone can have an off day, but this ranger has more off days than helpful ones!!

28 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I am often at Reedham I used to live there for a number of years. To this day I visit summer and winter on a regular basis. I know some of the quay assistants very well. Without exception they have all carried out their duties in an exemplary manner. I cannot speak though for those who have recently joined. I have not met them or seen them.

Andrew

Some not all dont attempt to help anyone,perhaps those they don't offer help need reminding that part of there job is to help.

41 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I do not understand. You had no issues with regard to mooring. He assisted others. An off day?

Andrew

I think tonplus was referring to the OP. 

I think it may vary with whoever is on duty. I have seen some rangers help out and others just watch. The number of hirers who try and go in to moor with the tide is amazing, it is one place where a ranger helping out is very useful I reckon. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Some not all dont attempt to help anyone,perhaps those they don't offer help need reminding that part of there job is to help.

I do not agree. I do not understand "some do not attempt to help anyone" This is simply not true and an unfair comment. 

Andrew

38 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Seems to me to be a waste of toll payers money, unless it is genuinely for safety, but if it is, then he needs to get out of the hut more and provide some value for money. Not the first time I have noticed this at Reedham, hence forewarning the friend I was with, who was amazed at just how little the ranger did. Anyone can have an off day, but this ranger has more off days than helpful ones!!

In fairness I've not moored there for some years but each time I pass maybe 4 times per month in season. the Ranger is not in his hut but "out and about"

6 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I think tonplus was referring to the OP. 

I think it may vary with whoever is on duty. I have seen some rangers help out and others just watch. The number of hirers who try and go in to moor with the tide is amazing, it is one place where a ranger helping out is very useful I reckon. 

The OP seems to refer to one occasion. 

Others just watch. What others? 

If you are genuinely dissatisfied with their work ethic why have you waited until now to mention your concern.

I have nothing but admiration for the guys who work there. Sometimes one simply has to admire the control and patience in which they deal with quite difficult circumstances.

Andrew

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I do not agree. I do not understand "some do not attempt to help anyone" This is simply not true and an unfair comment. 

Andrew

Are you saying I am lying?I have seen this more then once.Not all I am not saying that,but a few HAVE not attempted to help.Many people arrive for the first time at Reedham and require help.That is surely there job to help.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Are you saying I am lying?I have seen this more then once.Not all I am not saying that,but a few HAVE not attempted to help.Many people arrive for the first time at Reedham and require help.That is surely there job to help.

I did not say you were lying and further more accept your superior knowledge on this matter and respectfully retire from this particular matter.

Andrew

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Unless you live opposite the ranger hut and spend all day observing and recording the ranger activities it is only possible for you to comment on those occasions where you have been able to view their activities (more than once). It would appear that your observations are not aligned with the general consensus of Ranger activity at Reedham.

Are we really resorting to this?!

Its not very fair to single out someone who probably isnt on here and cant then defend themselves, if you have concerns about someone not doing their job it would probably be best to let the BA know rather than accuse folk here! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Its not very fair to single out someone who probably isnt on here and cant then defend themselves, if you have concerns about someone not doing their job it would probably be best to let the BA know rather than accuse folk here! 

But that complaint will sit on the employee's record,  it is unfair that said employee should have to defend themselves against a complaint particularly in this instance when the consensus is that the guy does a good job.  

At the end the day, for someone knowing what they are doing and using the tide to their advantage, Reedham is one of the easiest places to moor on the Broads. For others it can be difficult, even dangerous and I'm sure that is when the rangers earn their money. Why help those that don't need it? The tide can be a good friend but it needs to be worked and taken advanatge of.

• Like 4

We moor up to the Reedham Quay regularly either to visit the local shops or to wait for the Reedham bridge to lift. We normally moor near the rangers hut and office and without exception have always received help from the ranger there

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Well said !!!

The current 'Ranger' - for I am not sure if he is actually one - but is a chap who used to work at Beccles Yacht Station which of course is not owned or run by the Broads Authority. I am guessing that he took up the job at Reedham being very used to the work that goes into the boats coming and going at a busy mooring but as I say am not sure if he is a qualified Navigation Ranger

I got on with him well, both when I stopped over night with Trixie bringing her north after purchase (he took her lines) and with Independence when we waited at the pontoon for the bridge while he moved two day boats along to make room for us to moor.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

The current 'Ranger' - for I am not sure if he is actually one - but is a chap who used to work at Beccles Yacht Station which of course is not owned or run by the Broads Authority. I am guessing that he took up the job at Reedham being very used to the work that goes into the boats coming and going at a busy mooring but as I say am not sure if he is a qualified Navigation Ranger

I got on with him well, both when I stopped over night with Trixie bringing her north after purchase (he took her lines) and with Independence when we waited at the pontoon for the bridge while he moved two day boats along to make room for us to moor.

He was clearly qualified enough to gain the position of employment .

I really don't understand why this thread exists , surely if you have a problem you get it sorted with BA not moan as that archives nothing . 

5 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

My understanding is that the people employed at Reedham are not Rangers but Quay Attendants. They carry out a very important task with regard to the safety and welfare of many who visit the area.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ricardo said:

I really don't understand why this thread exists , surely if you have a problem you get it sorted with BA not moan as that archives nothing .  

... I have no problem with him - as I said he was helpful on two separate occasions to me so I cannot talk of any other persons experiences or observations. I also only noted that he was formally at Beccles Yacht Station since he told me this during a chat we had. I think though having someone there is helpful as it is a 'go to' point for a large amount of the day should you have any questions about tides, buy an electric top up card or just get some 'boating advice' he is very approachable.

• Like 1