Village Life

ChrisB

Interesting article, but I would hardly call Cromer a village. Having lived in villages most of my life, all I can say is that there are good ones and bad ones and you need to do your homework carefully.  Some of the villages I have lived in were lovely, others downright unfriendly if not hostile,  As a general rule I would say, the further North I went, the better my experience was.  Increasingly, village life involves  living in a "dormitory" where everyone commutes to work, with no  shop, no pub and having to get in the car to get anywhere you might want to go, so it is important that you go into this with eyes wide open and not be seduced with the idea of a cosy social-life  which may or may not exist.

• Like 4

Village life still exists but obviously not as it used to, I grew up in a village called Little Bentley in Essex one pub one church and back then one post office, still has a church where the vicar looks after three others in the district amazingly the pub is still there God knows how,  the post office went years ago but the important thing is the community spirit is still there On the first Wednesday of every month they have a coffee and cake morning in the little village hall by the Church, this also attracts people from some of the outlying villages.

Let's say you've just moved to the village and need to meet people If you're that way inclined there is the church the pub and as mentioned the little get together once a month, if you're not that sociable or interested in other people then it's probably best you don't pick a village to live in, the one thing a small village is no good for is older folk with no transport to get to shops doctors etc however quaint the place may look.

• Like 5

Hubby and I lived in a village for a couple of years before we moved to the next town further out where we could afford to buy our own house. Charmingly it was called Little End ... and all it had was two pubs and a factory! At the time I didn't drive so whilst hubby gave me a lift either two or from work, the other way was a one hour bus ride and a two mile walk. That was my motivation to learn to drive.

Apart from the price of houses, we moved away because we wanted to bring our children up somewhere where they wouldn't be dependent on us to get them everywhere. Little End had one bus an hour between 10am and 4pm or some such thing.

Mind you, back in the 70s my aunt and uncle moved from London to a Norfolk village with nothing but a small village shop. There was one bus on a Tuesday to Downham Market and one bus on a Thursday to King's Lynn. It was a little place called Beachamwell if anyone knows it.

13 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Hubby and I lived in a village for a couple of years before we moved to the next town further out where we could afford to buy our own house. Charmingly it was called Little End ... and all it had was two pubs and a factory! At the time I didn't drive so whilst hubby gave me a lift either two or from work, the other way was a one hour bus ride and a two mile walk. That was my motivation to learn to drive.

Apart from the price of houses, we moved away because we wanted to bring our children up somewhere where they wouldn't be dependent on us to get them everywhere. Little End had one bus an hour between 10am and 4pm or some such thing.

Mind you, back in the 70s my aunt and uncle moved from London to a Norfolk village with nothing but a small village shop. There was one bus on a Tuesday to Downham Market and one bus on a Thursday to King's Lynn. It was a little place called Beachamwell if anyone knows it.

I lived in East Harling in Norfolk briefly in the mid-'70's. When I asked how often the buses ran to nearby Thetford, I was told "Tuesdays and Saturdays". Enough said, I soon bought myself a motorbike.

• Like 1

I've only lived in a small village once, for about six months. No shops, a handful of houses and a pub which luckily was right next door to me. One Sunday morning I woke up about 11.00 and I'd run out of cigs, knowing the landlord would be about I wandered into the pub about 11.20 in my dressing gown to get some cigs from the machine before they opened (a regular occurrence), I walked in to a bar full of people, the clocks had changed overnight.

Doh!

• Haha 8