Brooke For Broads

jwb

According to the Suffolk Archive there is a photograph of him showing hirers over a launch on Oulton Broad at Lowestoft Library. I already have a list of pictures in that archive I would like to view, I have added this one to my list. Hopefully when we visit next month I will find time to pop in.

There is a short but interesting piece relating to a pair of Brookes belonging to the Richardson's fleet when it was based at Oulton Broad on Carol's excellent Broadland Memories site HERE

I wonder if the two I am thinking of moved from Richardson's to Camping Boats when they moved to Stalham in 1957. Clive might know if any were left behind.

Another name that came up was Wellby and Wheeler Co. Ltd

This name was stamped on a plate attached to the tapet cover on the Brooke 5hp Dominion engine that was fitted in Rupert when we bought her. We traced back to a previous owner who purchased Rupert in a sale at Bedford. We think what had happened was that a well know boat seller from Peterborough named Mr Jackson had purchased her together with several unknown other boats from Wroxham and taken them back home to Peterborough to sell them off. We know Rupert was owned by a Mr Littleboy of Wroxham who bought her from Broads Tours. We think it might have been his personal "Toy"?

If anyone knows of any of them please let us know?

15 hours ago, taleteller said:

There is a short but interesting piece relating to a pair of Brookes belonging to the Richardson's fleet when it was based at Oulton Broad on Carol's excellent Broadland Memories site HERE

I wonder if the two I am thinking of moved from Richardson's to Camping Boats when they moved to Stalham in 1957. Clive might know if any were left behind.

Hi, 

I don't think he bought the launches with him,  

As for my Baby Betty, i don't think it will be quite finished but who knows!

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jwb said:

Thanks for the memories as they say! Really glad that you approve of Rupert. Let me know if you think of anything else? 

Incidentally does the name Alf Morris mean anything to you?

Alf's nephew, Ian Ganaria, now lives in Sydney, Australia. Ian worked for his uncle back in the 1960/70s. Despite being ancient and doddery Ian has an excellent memory, he's findable on FaceBook. Ian is a regular visitor to Oulton Broad.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I believe that the white launch in this picture is a Brooke boat. 

Lowestoft, the Navy is in!.jpg

Hi Jenny,

Yes that looks like a 20 foot launch from 20s-30s Brooke made several of these. They were power by the famous Brooke Empire 10D 4 cylinder with reverse gear. Brooke made thousands of these engines and they were sold as a kit to fit in other makers boats as well as their own. The 16 foot which Rupert is is actually a scaled down version of tis boat in your lovely picture. 

Another one for the album then. Thanks very much.

37 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Alf's nephew, Ian Ganaria, now lives in Sydney, Australia. Ian worked for his uncle back in the 1960/70s. Despite being ancient and doddery Ian has an excellent memory, he's findable on FaceBook. Ian is a regular visitor to Oulton Broad.

That's great info. Will try and track him down!

43 minutes ago, jwb said:

That's great info. Will try and track him down!

Any problems then just pm me your f/b details and I'll forward them to Ian. I'm sure that he'll respond, he's not proud, he'll talk to anybody about Oulton Broad and boats, even us Poms and even about motor boats! Incidentally Ian did work at Brookes, albeit in their tin and ally days. 

The first picture is of Stella, may or may not have been built by Brookes, but typically when the Nobs & Toffs grew tired of their boats, or something better came along, they would end up as trip boats of one sort or another. The second picture is Oulton Broad Yacht Station mid 1960's, a time when Ian worked for his uncle. There might be a Brooke built boat in that gaggle.

Stella, owned by Fred Love, Oulton Broad..JPG

Oulton Broad YS.jpg

On 11/06/2019 at 07:32, C.Ricko said:

Brooke marine sold boat kits so they were not all built at the yard. 

Phoenix Yard in Potter Heigham have recently taken a mould from a Brooke and put a keel on it, 

there is a Brooke launch  for sale on Facebook market place

Brooke boat for sale on Facebook ?  Well I can't find it but maybe that's just me and commuters!

Well I never. So it is me and commuters or even computers. Yes a pitch pine painted hull, that was the normal Brooke way which made sense I suppose, only use mahogany if it's going to be seen.

She looks like she will be a lovely boat when finished but 'm not allowed any more!

Thanks again.

Steve

24 minutes ago, jwb said:

Well I never. So it is me and commuters or even computers. Yes a pitch pine painted hull, that was the normal Brooke way which made sense I suppose, only use mahogany if it's going to be seen.

She looks like she will be a lovely boat when finished but 'm not allowed any more!

Thanks again.

Steve

For the work that has been done she's probably very fairly priced so go for her! She just needs a bow thruster and radar arch.

JWB, maybe it's time to go the whole hog. One time Royal Knocking Ship 'Doris', Brooke built, is languishing away up on the North Rivers, a failed dream. Maybe she can be had for a song!

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/look-at-doris-now-1-848774

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Photograph_Gallery&classname=Brooke_65_motor_cruiser&returnpath=Boat_Details&returnpage=&style=Brk65

11 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

JWB, maybe it's time to go the whole hog. One time Royal Knocking Ship 'Doris', Brooke built, is languishing away up on the North Rivers, a failed dream. Maybe she can be had for a song!

https://www.lowestoftjournal.co.uk/news/look-at-doris-now-1-848774

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Photograph_Gallery&classname=Brooke_65_motor_cruiser&returnpath=Boat_Details&returnpage=&style=Brk65

No offence and well Royalty no less and not forgetting Bob!  but Ceuta has got my eye, what a beauty nearly as nice as Rupert.

23 minutes ago, grendel said:

you know that JA just posted that to tempt someone into buying it dont you.

Now you have got your hand in on the models you're perfectly placed to become custodian to something a bit bigger... :default_hiding: