Hello All!

PaulM

Hello,

Ive been reading posts for a while on this forum now and thought it would be nice to join as I’ve much to learn about boating!

Ive always had an interest in the broads and owning a boat myself. I’ve lived in Norwich my whole life and spent a lot of my childhood in Wroxham. My great great Grandfather was Earnest Collins of Wroxham. I wish I could buy one of his later boats that my Grandfather would have worked on.

Around this time last year we (myself, my wife and our two kids aged 10 and 8) bought our first boat. A lovely Seamaster 27, this boat had been beautifully built and kept. I really did love Theodore 11, we all did! But unfortunately we realised relatively soon that she just wasn’t big enough for us to comfortably spend as much time as we wanted on the water.

the Seamaster sold earlier this year and has been replaced with a Princess 30DS, not quite as classically charming as the Seamaster but does the job we need it to do perfectly! It’s everything we hoped a boat would be and has enough room for our kids to grow.

we are moored at Brundall and love spending time on Surlingham Broad plus the fine selection of pubs towards Norwich and Reedham. This summer we hope to venture onto the Northern rivers for a few days. Our old boat is now that side so we plan a reunion with it’s new owners plus other friends are moored at the same broad also.

Anyway that’s enough introductory rambling for now! 

Hopefully pics of our previous and current have loaded up.

97A5E5EE-75E2-4ED6-8443-EE554790BB7E.jpeg

A11E99AD-B931-4936-8E43-79AE5F85F85B.jpeg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, PaulM said:

Hello,

Ive been reading posts for a while on this forum now and thought it would be nice to join as I’ve much to learn about boating!

Ive always had an interest in the broads and owning a boat myself. I’ve lived in Norwich my whole life and spent a lot of my childhood in Wroxham. My great great Grandfather was Earnest Collins of Wroxham. I wish I could buy one of his later boats that my Grandfather would have worked on.

Around this time last year we (myself, my wife and our two kids aged 10 and 8) bought our first boat. A lovely Seamaster 27, this boat had been beautifully built and kept. I really did love Theodore 11, we all did! But unfortunately we realised relatively soon that she just wasn’t big enough for us to comfortably spend as much time as we wanted on the water.

the Seamaster sold earlier this year and has been replaced with a Princess 30DS, not quite as classically charming as the Seamaster but does the job we need it to do perfectly! It’s everything we hoped a boat would be and has enough room for our kids to grow.

we are moored at Brundall and love spending time on Surlingham Broad plus the fine selection of pubs towards Norwich and Reedham. This summer we hope to venture onto the Northern rivers for a few days. Our old boat is now that side so we plan a reunion with it’s new owners plus other friends are moored at the same broad also.

Anyway that’s enough introductory rambling for now! 

Hopefully pics of our previous and current have loaded up.

97A5E5EE-75E2-4ED6-8443-EE554790BB7E.jpeg

A11E99AD-B931-4936-8E43-79AE5F85F85B.jpeg

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

I hired a Seamaster 27 from Aston boats in mid 60's (when I was in my prime!).

After hiring I longed for a 27 for myself and eventually managed to fund and purchase one I found on the Thames.

Whilst I loved the boat I then really fell in love with the Seamaster 30.  I had three in total, all on the Broads.

The last one ("My Panashe") we kept at Beccles was a great boat, one of the last factory built, but we really

did not have the time to use her properly and with a three hour journey to get to her decided to sell.

However, still cannot get the broads out of the system and hiring a boat in September.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Regards Happy (aka Alan)

2 hours ago, Happy said:

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum.

I hired a Seamaster 27 from Aston boats in mid 60's (when I was in my prime!).

After hiring I longed for a 27 for myself and eventually managed to fund and purchase one I found on the Thames.

Whilst I loved the boat I then really fell in love with the Seamaster 30.  I had three in total, all on the Broads.

The last one ("My Panashe") we kept at Beccles was a great boat, one of the last factory built, but we really

did not have the time to use her properly and with a three hour journey to get to her decided to sell.

However, still cannot get the broads out of the system and hiring a boat in September.

Good luck with your new purchase.

Regards Happy (aka Alan)

Hi Alan, I dont think you ever lose the Broads bug. We are there 7 - 17 Sept on Ibiza 1 from Richardsons if you are there at that time look out for us

Hi from a fellow 30DS owner, what engine/gearbox setup do you have? With a bit of power they are a very capable sea boat.

I went from an RLM31 to my 30DS and also think our old boat was a much nicer looking boat, more comfortable for the rivers as well just not that great at seakeeping.

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Hi from a fellow 30DS owner, what engine/gearbox setup do you have? With a bit of power they are a very capable sea boat.

I went from an RLM31 to my 30DS and also think our old boat was a much nicer looking boat, more comfortable for the rivers as well just not that great at seakeeping.

Hi Smoggy,

Great to hear from another DS owner! Where are you moored? Tell me about your set up.

We have twin Penta 151b petrols on 190 outdrives.

As most we ideally wanted a diesel as our Seamaster was Perkins 108 but I wanted to stay on outdrives. I prefer the handling and the reduced noise of the engine being out the back. Once I tried the petrols though I was sold. They are so quiet and relaxed at river speeds and so far pretty economical. Not that we cover huge distances. Plus the boat was nearly half the price of the diesel equivalent.  

I have 2x tmd41's @ 150hp each on shafts, you right about the noise difference as mine are on shafts and directly below the saloon and pretty noisy at planning speeds.

I moor at thorpe and can be found at surlingham ferryhouse on a regular basis at weekends.

8 hours ago, Seagypsy said:

Hi Alan, I dont think you ever lose the Broads bug. We are there 7 - 17 Sept on Ibiza 1 from Richardsons if you are there at that time look out for us

Hi Seagypsy

We are on a 'Boys Jolly' for 4 nights on Absolute Freedom out of Thorpe.  Looked at Richardsons but did'nt fancy the croud

that would be leaving to go down the Ant.  Two of the guys have not been on the broads before so I reckon they will be

addicted too.  Have a great time.