Norfolk Lady Tales

Mouldy

It was our intention to go to the boat the weekend following our return from our Scottish adventure, but the weather was so poor, we decided against it and did some gardening between the showers instead and actually achieved quite a lot, filling our garden waste bin and six tote bags of cuttings, clippings and sweepings from our secret back, back garden.

Id been watching the forecast with interest through the week and was compelled to go for a ride on my bike last Thursday for a little taster of the weekend to come, visiting Ranworth, where I sat at The Granary with a coffee and slice of ginger and lemon cake, watching the goings on at the staithe.

IMG_2236.thumb.jpeg.e4fa603e0595b7c069f845580022d0b2.jpeg

Coffee and cake finished, I headed through South Walsham into Acle, went over Acle Bridge to Potter Heigham, resisting the temptation to go to Nippy Chippy, through Ludham into Hoveton, before riding home.  I’d covered ninety enjoyable miles, which had made me look forward to Friday even more.

Deb finished work a little earlier than usual and we left home just before 16:00 on Friday afternoon and arrived at Brundall in time to collect a couple of things I’d ordered from Brian Ward, before carrying on to the marina.  We were met there by our friends, Jean and Mike, who’d taken ownership of their boat earlier that day.  It had been moored at Swancraft by the previous owners, so aside from moving from a stern on to a side on mooring, it will continue to be moored there.

We unloaded the car and had a chat with Jean and Mike.  We suggested going to The White Heron for a bite to eat and a celebratory beverage, to which they agreed, so we all wandered round there.

The pub was understandably busy, a warm, sunny afternoon had attracted a lot of folk.  We ordered our food and were told that it would be about 45 minutes, however it took about an hour for the starters to appear and another hour for the main meals.  We didn’t bother with desserts, as by now it was about 21:00 and we were past it.

We walked back to the yard, had a chat for a while before saying our good nights and returning to our boat.  I passed on my customary hot drink - after a couple of pints, it was the last thing I needed.  If overnight old man visits to the loo were too frequent, I may as well not bother going to bed!

We woke on Saturday to a lovely morning.  Jean and Mike headed out for their first cruise, not knowing where they were going (not having cruised the southern rivers for many years) and we followed about half an hour later, having both showered and had breakfast.  Just as we were getting ready to depart @Ray arrived with his wife and guests to board his boat.  We helped him pull it round to make it easier for one of them to board via the bathing platform at the stern, rather than clambering up the side.  Nice to see you again Ray - we must meet up soon for a long overdue libation (or two)!

At the end of Hobrough’s Dyke, I asked the wife ‘left or right?’  ‘Let’s go right for a change’ she said.  Knowing my place, I did as instructed and headed up river.

We were in no hurry, so just pottered along at 1200rpm.  There was a bit of traffic on the river, but it wasn’t busy.  Predictably, Bramerton was full, largely due to a boat club meet, where a couple of gazebos were being erected.  We carried on under Postwick Viaduct and arrived at The Commissioners Cut, where Jean and Mike were moored.

We turned and reversed in, mooring just behind them, before having another blather.  Lunch was soon ready, and while we were eating, @Robin arrived with his wife aboard the wonderful Kingfisher.  He moored right at the end of the dyke and later wandered round for a chat with Mike and me.  We talked about wooden boats, Kingfisher and the ‘new build’ amongst other things.  It’s a real pleasure talking to someone who clearly is so very skilled and loves what he does.

A little later, after a really heavy shower of rain that lasted about 10 minutes, we walked into Thorpe, with the intention of buying an ice cream.  Mike came with us, but Jean stayed on her boat, not being antisocial, but still recovering from a knee replacement operation.  Passing The Rushcutters, thoughts of an ice cream were soon forgotten and we nipped in for a swift beverage.  It was very busy, with plenty of folk enjoying the afternoon sitting by the river.

IMG_2250.thumb.jpeg.b0bba4ccd44f49858c6e153b62f7cd4c.jpeg

Drinks finished, it was time to return to the boats.  After dinner, we went round to sit with Jean and Mike at their invitation, to discuss boaty things, as one does.  The sunset was beautiful, so just snapped a couple of shots on my phone as it set.

IMG_2253.thumb.jpeg.1090494f9ca497c4ac447a2a070e7742.jpeg

We returned to Norfolk Lady and after a hot drink, retired, tired and happy after a grand day on the rivers.  

More to follow.

• Like 15

I met them on Friday at Brundall, great to see new owners of their own boat.

Thanks again for your invaluable help on Saturday Malc, it's easy to forget just how much it means to folks with mobility issues to do things we are still lucky enough to do without thinking, she really enjoyed the cruise 👍 That beer (or two) sounds good, especially now we actually have some proper summer drinking weather 🍺

• Like 2

It was a beautiful start to Sunday morning and was out of bed at 06:15 to enjoy it!  Deb took Harley for a walk before it got too hot and I went out with my camera to take a few photos.

DSCF3629.thumb.jpeg.4b874bfebecf6d68a360cc79c90be845.jpeg

DSCF3638.thumb.jpeg.133c495999d8dcc9fdb8347a171b7ac6.jpeg

DSCF3634.thumb.jpeg.456779695303e6a263319c54ea883774.jpeg

IMG_2259.thumb.jpeg.d8f871c9145c25e0436a5ca3a146bd04.jpeg

Mike was up and about, so we had a chat before I was called in for breakfast.  We set off back towards the marina at about 09:00, as we’d arranged to meet with more friends at Brundall for lunch.  It was just one of those mornings that really make me appreciate just how lucky we are to have our boat and to be able to enjoy all that The Broads offer.  Under a cloud free sky we made our way back to our home mooring.

IMG_2265.thumb.jpeg.3f222c1be4bdce340f86bfc1cf22d4ad.jpeg

IMG_2261.thumb.jpeg.8b70f93118f1f4bfa7d1f5ec798ef8b7.jpeg

DSCF3646.thumb.jpeg.e274d55421f2f584a7a465b43378ee39.jpeg

IMG_2266.thumb.jpeg.19d1ace5ddae9c39ef8ebe5acec64cc2.jpeg

DSCF3644.thumb.jpeg.8fac910e3df3c35e330af683ed88c828.jpeg
As usual, along that stretch of river, there were a few rowers out and about.  The moorings outside The Water’s Edge were full and the gazebos at Bramerton, set up the previous day, were being taken down.  There were a few boats on the river too, the owners obviously making the most of the glorious weather.

All too soon, we were back at the marina.  I took a few photos of a heron preening on the opposite side to our mooring.  We often see one there and assume it must be the same one.

DSCF3682.thumb.jpeg.7eac0d5b3c5cdd9c06a30a1ebb754e50.jpeg

Deb started packing up whilst I showered and changed.  Jean and Mike arrived back about three quarters of an hour after us and moored.  All four of us were meeting up with Russell Thomson at The White Heron for lunch and based on our experience there on Friday night, we’re a little worried that our table reservation at 14:00 might be a little late, I messaged Russell to meet there a bit earlier, as I’d seen his FB posts mentioning that he was at Bargate.

With cars packed and boats locked, we drove the short distance to the pub.  Thunder was already at the pub moorings, so after parking up, we went in to meet Russell and his guest for the trip.  We were shown to our table and noted that roasts were available.  The food arrived much more promptly than the previous visit and I have to say that the roasts were excellent, both in quality and quantity.

Due to their four hour drive home, Jean and Mike left soon after we’d eaten, but we stayed a while longer, chatting to Russell.  He is totally different in person to the one he portrays in his videos and is a very genuine guy with a real love of The Broads.

Time was getting on and we eventually left the pub at about 16:30.  It had been a great weekend, meeting up with Jean and Mike, had a good chat with Robin, then with Russell and Denise.  The weather had been stunning and we’d revisited a mooring that I haven’t stopped at for years .  . . . . . . . and years!

We’ll be back on NL soon for a longer cruise.  Can’t wait!

• Like 9
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

we’d revisited a mooring that I haven’t stopped at for years .  . . . . . . . and years!

I can't place where that is Malcolm, it looks like a great spot!

25 minutes ago, Ray said:

I can't place where that is Malcolm, it looks like a great spot!

It’s a good spot indeed Ray, but don’t tell anyone though!  Keep it to yourself! :default_wink:It’s The Commissioners Cut, which is a few hundred yards before the rowing club and the first bridge near Thorpe.

IMG_2132.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

It’s a good spot indeed Ray, but don’t tell anyone though!  Keep it to yourself! :default_wink:It’s The Commissioners Cut, which is a few hundred yards before the rowing club and the first bridge near Thorpe.

IMG_2132.jpeg

There’s also a very good Indian restaurant/takeaway a short walk away -Merchants of Spice. Just turn right at the end of the lane, instead of left toward the Rushcutters.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ray said:

I do love an Indian takeaway 👍

Does anyone love you afterwards though, Ray?  :default_hiding:  Sadly, Indian food doesn’t agree with me, but Thai food I can tolerate.  I guess the different spices make the difference.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Does anyone love you afterwards though, Ray?

I only have Indian food if Gill does at the same time, for good measure a little chicken is given to the dog. It is impossible to prove beyond reasonable doubt who is guilty 😂

I must admit to wondering whether a boat is too small an enclosed area though 😁

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, YnysMon said:

There’s also a very good Indian restaurant/takeaway a short walk away -Merchants of Spice. Just turn right at the end of the lane, instead of left toward the Rushcutters.

Technically that's the Merchants of Spice 2....

They have another on Colegate which is about a 15 minute walk from the Yacht Station. It was literally around the corner from my old office, and was a popular place to take clients and visiting colleagues.

• 4 weeks later...

We returned home yesterday from just over two weeks on Norfolk Lady.  Ordinarily, I’d have posted daily updates as I have done in the past, but I can no longer reliably post photos from my phone direct to the Forum without converting them on a computer to a format that the Forum accepts.  Predictably, I forgot to take our ageing Windows laptop with us, so will now try to remember where we went over the last two weeks.

The wife wangled a half day from work on Friday 5th July and I’d already packed the car and tidied the bungalow, so we could get away as soon as she’d logged out.  We arrived at the marina at about 13:15 and hastily transferred our stuff, of which there seemed to be far too much, onto the boat.  We eventually cast off just before 14:00, heading for Breydon and the northern rivers.

Low water was at around 16:30 and due to our airdraft, I usually aim to pass through Yarmouth about 30 minutes after low.  Helped by a falling tide, we were soon through Reedham and we entered Breydon at about 16:20.  There were a few other boats making the crossing, most heading from north to south, though.

We arrived at the yellow post to turn onto The Bure and were met by quite a strong falling current.  With more revs applied, we slowly chugged under the bridges and past the yacht station.  It was slow progress for a while, but as the river widened, progress became easier.  Passing Stracey Mill, I noticed that the mooring fee had increased again, to £8 overnight.  We hoped there might be room at Stokesby, but some fairly thoughtless mooring by those already there had probably taken up space for another two boats on the farm moorings.  Both the pub and BA moorings were full too, so we carried on and found the last spot available outside The Bridge Inn.  How fortuitous?

It had been a fairly log cruise and by then was about 19:15, so although we had food on board, we decided to see if we could get a table in the pub - as we’d moored there, it would have been rude not to!  We were in luck and were soon tucking into fish and chips.  As usual, the service there was efficient and friendly and the food good.

It had been quite a long day, so we were soon back on board the boat and ready for an early night.  No scenic views today, just food, but they will get better! 😉

IMG_2326.jpeg

• Like 12

Saturday we woke to the sound of rain beating on the roof.  We didn’t rush to get ready, as the weather really was too miserable to do much.  Most of the other craft moored at The Bridge Inn had already departed when we decided to go.

We had no real plans, only that we wanted to be at Womack on Sunday, so had a steady cruise up The Bure and moored at Hall Farm, between the two boats that were already there.  The one at the Thurne end of the mooring departed shortly after, so we pulled the boat to the end of the mooring and there we stayed, all day, watching the rain fall.  It was what my dad used to describe as stair rods.

Later on, it began to ease off and the sky to the north west was clear, but it was ominously black in the opposite direction.  Our dinner was some fresh pasta and sauce, with garlic bread that we should have had on Friday evening, had temptation not got the better of us.

We had a beautiful sunset that evening - such a surprise after the rainfall earlier in the day, which gave us a little hope for a better day on Sunday.

IMG_2335.jpeg

IMG_2342.jpeg

DSCF3708.jpeg

IMG_2374.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Love 1

It was a very different start to the day on Sunday, with a clear blue sky and just a gentle breeze.  Feeling inspired, I sent the drone up to grab a few photos, especially as the weather forecast for the rest of the week was for more wet conditions.

After breakfast, we cast off and headed for Womack Water.  We usually prefer to moor at the BA moorings on the Dyke, but Harley’s arthritis is getting much worse and she would struggle with the walk into the village, so we headed for the Parish moorings.  My favoured spot there is at the end, nearest the shop, but it was occupied when we arrived, but as soon as it became free, I moved to the end and moored up.

After I’d showered, I had a chat with the owner of a Broom 30 that was in good condition and moored a couple of boats along from us.  A little later, Kate (kpnut) walked by with her guests.  We stood and had a chat to her for a while before Simon (Cambridge Cabby) turned up with his wife.  Following another lengthy chat, it was time for lunch - a light one, as we were meeting Warren (Tempest) and his wife at The King’s Head for dinner at 18:00.

We had a quiet afternoon, watching the comings and goings on the Staithe.  It had clouded over a little, but was dry at least.  We set off to the pub in good time and found our table.  Warren and Julie joined us a few minutes later and we enjoyed a pleasant evening.  Whilst we were there, there was a short, very sharp shower but it was all over by the time we walked back to the boat.

We watched TV for a while, but it wasn’t long before tiredness got the better of us and we went to bed.

dji_fly_20240707_072310_297_1720333838845_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20240707_072304_296_1720333839062_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20240707_071536_284_1720333842058_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20240707_072600_298_1720333838616_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20240707_071514_283_1720333842328_photo.jpeg

• Like 10

40 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

A little later, Kate (kpnut) walked by with her guests.  We stood and had a chat to her for a while before Simon (Cambridge Cabby) turned up with his wife.  Following another lengthy chat, it was time for lunch - a light one, as we were meeting Warren (Tempest) and his wife at The King’s Head for dinner at 18:00.

Seems it was a good week overall for meeting fellow NBN members. 
The northern Broads navigable area must be much bigger than it seems though as I only had one other fleeting glimpse of you for your whole stay, as you were passing Acle Bridge in your way south again. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Seems it was a good week overall for meeting fellow NBN members. 
The northern Broads navigable area must be much bigger than it seems though as I only had one other fleeting glimpse of you for your whole stay, as you were passing Acle Bridge in your way south again. 

Did we not pass you on Fleet Dyke on Tuesday morning too?  We were heading to Marine Tech for fuel and water.

10 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Did we not pass you on Fleet Dyke on Tuesday morning too?  We were heading to Marine Tech for fuel and water.

Oh yes! Better memory than me. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Oh yes! Better memory than me. 

I wouldn’t say that!  Looking at your blog you met with more other Forumites than we did.

• Like 1

Clear blues skies greeted us on Monday morning.  We were awake early as Harley has started to develop dementia.  At home, she wanders about the bungalow at night, but on the boat, with little space to wander, she nudges me for attention before she goes back to sleep.  By 06:00, I’d given up on trying to nod off again, so got up, dressed and went out to take some pictures, initially with my phone and camera and a little later with the drone.

We had breakfast and waited until after 08:00 before starting the engine for hot water so I could shower.  Once ready, I wandered round to the butchers for meat for three days, sausages for breakfast and couldn’t resist the fresh duck eggs that they had for sale.  I made a quick visit to Throwers for some vegetables, but found their selection disappointing, so decided to head for Potter and Lathams to top up with essentials.

We cast off, Potter bound.  I was surprised at just how many properties are for sale as we headed along ‘chalet alley.’  Maybe the financial crisis has caused some folk to give up second homes.  Who knows, but several seem to have fallen into disrepair since our last visit.

There was no space on the BA moorings, so I turned into Woods yard, turned left again and moored stern on by the green.  By now, some clouds had started to roll in, but it was dry.  We locked up and headed straight for Lathams.  I’ve been there often enough now to avoid the temptation to buy tat for the sake of it and escaped having spent less than £25!  Result!

We had a slow cruise back down The Thurne, turning right onto The Bure.  My plan (such as it was) was to overnight either at St Benet’s or on Fleet Dyke.  Having seen plenty of space at the former, I turned down Fleet Dyke and found the first spot on the moorings on the bends unoccupied.  Ideal, but the footpath that runs alongside the dyke, which was badly overgrown, making it difficult for the wife to walk the dog.  Following Kate’s lead, I went onto the relevant website and reported it.

Once moored, we settled down for a relaxing afternoon.  I’d taken the new Chris Crowther book with me, so read that and the wife was working on a cross stitch that she started probably 15 years ago and got bored with, so put it away for later.  I’d reminded her that it needed to be finished, so she’s relented and had started working on it again.

We had pork loin steaks for dinner, with broccoli and parmentier potatoes.  There was a spectacular sunset that evening, turning the sky blood red.

We were both tired, after having a disturbed night previously, so it was another early night for both of us.

IMG_2397.jpeg

dji_fly_20240708_071142_300_1720419643043_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20240708_071504_305_1720419641809_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20240708_071714_310_1720419640263_photo.jpeg

IMG_2416.jpeg

IMG_2423.jpeg

IMG_2433.jpeg

IMG_2447.jpeg

IMG_2452.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Stunning photos Malcom. There is quite a bit of property up for sale at the moment. Cost of living and higher interest rates may have bitten on a number of fronts. We keep passing new For Sale signs when we’re out and about but not much showing as Sold. 

• Thanks 1

Tuesday morning was dull and damp.  We had breakfast, after Deb had fought through the undergrowth to walk Harley and waited until after 09:00 before setting off, down Fleet Dyke to Marine Tech for fuel and water.  Kate has already mentioned their service, which is efficient and friendly and it has become one of my favoured spots for fuel.  It is, a little more pricey than Boulters admittedly, but it is so much easier to get into.

We passed Kate, who was moored on the BA moorings on the way to and from getting fuel, exchanging cheery waves as we passed.  Had the weather been more clement, we’d have headed up The Ant, but instead decided to go to Hoveton instead.  We had a slow, uneventful cruise through Horning and into Wroxham.  On the way in I noticed that another ‘comical’ sign had been installed on a riverside front garden, clearly by an owner with a sense of humour.

We moored at Barnes, on the outer pontoon, next to the owner of the Broom 30 who we’d met on Sunday at Womack.  We had a quick chat before I headed into Hoveton.  Deb stayed on board, as by now it was raining and she didn’t  fancy standing outside with the dog, whilst I went shopping.

The handle on our kettle had become loose and it got uncomfortably hot as it boiled, so my first call was Roy’s Department Store, where I found a suitable replacement.  Then across to the supermarket to get an extra meal or two.  We had fish and chips from Greys for lunch, before setting off to find a mooring for overnight.

Predictably, the green at Horning was full and there would have been room at the church, had a fisherman not spread his equipment out in front of his boat and along the remaining mooring space.

We eventually arrived at St Benet’s, which was quite full, but fortunately there was space for us.  We whiled away what was left of the afternoon, Deb busy with her cross stitch and me with my book.  It had been raining off and on for most of the day.  By the evening, the rain had stopped, but the sky looked threatening.

After a largish lunch, we had garlic and herb chicken skewers from the Ludham butchers for dinner, with salad and rice.  With no chance of a sunset, I took a few photos of the clouds, with some in black and white.  I’ve posted both for comparison.  See what you think.

We watched TV for a while, but were in bed by 22:00.  There must be something in the air around The Broads, that makes us both tired!

IMG_2459.jpeg

IMG_2454.jpeg

DSCF3727.jpeg

IMG_2462.jpeg

DSCF3729.jpeg

DSCF3731.jpeg

• Like 6

It was just getting light at around 04:00, when I had to get up on Wednesday morning.  For whatever reason, Harley was particularly restless, so I gave up trying to sleep and got dressed.  I opened the door to let her out, but she didn’t want to go and laid down and went back to sleep!

Not wanting to wasting the opportunity, I got the drone out and sent it up to get some early morning shots, spending about half an hour taking pictures of the moorings, abbey and surroundings, before bringing it down to download the photos.  

Deb woke a little later and took Harley for a walk, before returning.  We had already decided to go to Ranworth and I’d planned to cook brunch when we got there.  We set off just after 09:00 and had a slow cruise back to Ranworth Dam.  As we entered the broad, I could see one space on the front of the moorings and as we neared them, I could see that there were others available to the side.  The weather was better than the previous day and was quite pleasantly warm.

The ranger was indicating that we should head to the side, but I wanted to be on the front and facing the broad, so ignored him and manoeuvred into the space I wanted.  It was one along from the end that has just been repaired, so when the boat left the end spot, I pulled NL along and secured her,  before going to pay my £5.

The ranger was alright - friendly enough and to be fair, he was very helpful to inexperienced crews who were trying to moor, shouting clear instructions to help them into their spaces.  Deb had showered whilst we cruised between St Benet’s and Ranworth, so after plugging in to a post with 79p credit, I headed for the shower.

I made brunch of bacon, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes and fried duck eggs, which did go down a treat.  With the immersion heater on and plenty of hot water available, the washing up was soon done.  I topped up with water and we sat there until about 16:00, watching the comings and goings.  I did fancy a Whippy ice cream from the shop, but their machine was out of order, so we both had to make do with Magnums, caramel for Deb and mint for me.

It had developed into a nice day, sunny, with a few clouds, but warm.  We cast off just before 16:00, heading back to St Benet’s.  It was the England/Holland game that evening and I knew that the TV reception there was perfect.  We moored up easily, closer to the abbey than the previous evening, set up the aerial and I had a walk around the abbey with my camera, taking a few shots as I went.

I cooked lamb chops, cauliflower cheese and some jersey royals for dinner.  As ever, the meat from the butchers was excellent.  I settled down to watch the football and was increasingly disappointed with England’s performance, although why I should have expected anything exciting from them, I don’t know.  By half time, I’d become so disillusioned, I had to go for a walk, so took my camera and drone back to the abbey for some more pictures.

As you can imagine, there was no one else about - there must have been something entertaining on TV!  The sun was setting and I grabbed a few shots before returning to the boat in time to see England score a late winner.  Amazing.  The most boring, negative team in the competition was in the final . . . . . . . . . . . against the most positive, entertaining team - Spain.

It had been a long day and I was tired, so after a hot drink, it was time for bed.

dji_fly_20240710_042942_342_1720582666379_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20240710_043256_348_1720582665458_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20240710_042558_326_1720582668124_aeb.jpeg

dji_fly_20240710_042504_321_1720582668863_aeb.jpeg

IMG_2514.jpeg

IMG_2511 (1).jpeg

DSCF3770 (1).jpeg

DSCF3747 (1).jpeg

IMG_2521 (1).jpeg

IMG_2533.jpeg

dji_fly_20240710_211454_382_1720642617267_photo.jpeg

dji_fly_20240710_210942_374_1720642618597_photo.jpeg