Norfolk Lady Tales

Mouldy

Although we moved our boat from Horning to our moorings at Brundall, when we spent a night on board due to the tide times through Yarmouth, we had been looking forward to this weekend with eager anticipation as itvwas to be our first proper weekend break.

We set off from home shortly after 18:00 on Friday evening and arrived at our moorings about two and a half hours later, after a relatively easy journey.  We'd collected a takeaway from the Chinese which was eaten before we unpacked the car and stowed our things on Norfolk Lady.

Both of us had been up for work early that morning and it wasn't long before we went to bed, very tired, but very happy to be spending our first weekend on board.

Saturday dawned and there was no rush to go anywhere.  The immersion heater was on and once the water was heated, we showered and got ready before wandering down to the Co-Op for some essential supplies.   Back at the yard, we topped up with water and set off on the start of our new adventure.

It was quite overcast, but for once, it didn't seem to matter.  We were on our boat!   We headed for Reedham and I was quite surprised at how busy the river was.  We found a gap near the Rangers hut to moor and eased into the space.  The ranger came out to assist and we had a chat for a while as several large cruisers sped through.

After lunch, we cast off again, with a mooring at Pyes Mill the intended destination.  It was a pleasant cruise and we passed several craft heading the other way, so I was hopeful that there would be space for us.  

Sure enough, there was a space at the end furthest from Loddon basin, which suited us.  Nice and quiet and grass for the dog to mooch around, too.  We wandered in the village, over the bridge and through the field, coming out near The Kings Head, the outside of which seems to have been painted since our last visit.  We needed a couple of bits from the Co-Op that I'd forgotten on my visit earlier,  before returning to Norfolk Lady, past the church and through the lanes, back to our moorings. 

The wife did some sewing, I did a crossword or two and we idly whirled away the afternoon with a bottle of wine (each).   As we sat in the aft cockpit,  the sky cleared and left a glorious, sunny evening to enjoy.

I cooked our meal, we watched tv for a while before retiring to bed.

Owning our own boat was an ambition I'd held for almost 50 years.  As time passed, the idea that it would be realised became more and more remote, however due to my wife's diligence, this has turned into reality.

I cannot express how lucky I feel.

1193A34A-8ED4-4D20-AD5C-DF3155F1E482.jpeg

654EDE6E-A83E-40D5-91F3-7E445E8AA1C4.jpeg

6F5A2D2E-A532-411A-B969-2FACA39F0C62.jpeg

F3D10C71-C6C7-4611-9664-16EA360028A9.jpeg

D8517185-0E15-402E-9651-6D16C8650D07.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

After a good nights sleep, I was awake early on Sunday morning.  I’m usually up around 04:15 for work and it’s a hard habit to break, but I did manage to doze off  and rolled out of bed around 06:00.  The kettle went on and despite the forecast of a grey, cloudy day, I was greeted by the sight of the sun rising over the river to the stern of the boat. 

Camera in hand, I stepped onto the bank and took a few photos, before returning make a cuppa.  The wife was stirring and she readied herself to take Harley (our Staffie) for a walk.  

It was too early to run the engine for hot water and with no shore power, the immersion was of little use, so I spent a few minutes sitting quietly, thinking about our journey to the position we found ourselves in now and how lucky we had been.  I’m still not sure that I quite believe that Norfolk Lady is ours, although the bill for necessary work completed since the purchase was completed, has helped it to sink in!

The wife returned with the dog and I cooked breakfast, grilled bacon, scrambled eggs and sautéed baby plum tomatoes.  It went down a treat, too.  

By that time, it was well past 08:00, so I started the engine for hot water and when sufficiently heated, went for a shower.  The wife followed as I finished and we were soon dressed and ready.

There was no great rush to go anywhere and I had no real plans for the day, but the clouds had rolled in and the sky was grey and leaden.  We waited for a while, but decided to set off for a steady cruise back to the yard and our moorings.  We cast off sometime after 11:00 and chugged slowly back up The Chet, turning left onto The Yare at the junction.

There was quite a bit of traffic on the rivers, both hired and private, together with a smattering of sailies, clearly making the most of the breezy conditions.

I can’t remember when we arrived back at base, probably between 13:30 & 14:00.  We had rolls for lunch and I set about starting to clean Norfolk Lady up.  We’d been left some boat cleaning products to try by the proprietor of our home yard, including some shampoo, so armed with a newly acquired deck scrubbing brush and a bucket, I attacked the grubby decks and cabin roof and was amazed at how well they came up.  I cannot say for sure how much difference the shampoo itself made, but I was well pleased with the results.

Debbie (the wife), had packed up the bits and pieces we needed to take back home and loaded the car.  We had a chat with one of the other owners at the yard, who have a boat similar to ours and chewed the fat with them for a while, before finally locking up Norfolk Lady at about 16:30 to visit Steve and Deb, who also recently completed the purchase of their boat, which is also moored in Brundall.

Id booked a table at The Ferry House for dinner, so took our leave in time to drive to Surlingham, where we enjoyed another good meal at one of our favourite Broadland pubs, before making the journey home to Northampton.

It was always a wrench at the end of a holiday leaving the area that both the wife and I have come to love over the years and now regard as our spiritual home but we’ll be back very soon for another weekend on our boat.  It’s a feeling that I never believed I would enjoy, but now we are in this fortunate position, it’s one that I fully intend to make the most of.

E19CCD4D-051A-41C1-A8DA-7F5F462767C6.jpeg

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

After a good nights sleep, I was awake early on Sunday morning.  I’m usually up around 04:15 for work and it’s a hard habit to break, but I did manage to doze off  and rolled out of bed around 06:00.  The kettle went on and despite the forecast of a grey, cloudy day, I was greeted by the sight of the sun rising over the river to the stern of the boat. 

Camera in hand, I stepped onto the bank and took a few photos, before returning make a cuppa.  The wife was stirring and she readied herself to take Harley (our Staffie) for a walk.  

It was too early to run the engine for hot water and with no shore power, the immersion was of little use, so I spent a few minutes sitting quietly, thinking about our journey to the position we found ourselves in now and how lucky we had been.  I’m still not sure that I quite believe that Norfolk Lady is ours, although the bill for necessary work completed since the purchase was completed, has helped it to sink in!

The wife returned with the dog and I cooked breakfast, grilled bacon, scrambled eggs and sautéed baby plum tomatoes.  It went down a treat, too.  

By that time, it was well past 08:00, so I started the engine for hot water and when sufficiently heated, went for a shower.  The wife followed as I finished and we were soon dressed and ready.

There was no great rush to go anywhere and I had no real plans for the day, but the clouds had rolled in and the sky was grey and leaden.  We waited for a while, but decided to set off for a steady cruise back to the yard and our moorings.  We cast off sometime after 11:00 and chugged slowly back up The Chet, turning left onto The Yare at the junction.

There was quite a bit of traffic on the rivers, both hired and private, together with a smattering of sailies, clearly making the most of the breezy conditions.

I can’t remember when we arrived back at base, probably between 13:30 & 14:00.  We had rolls for lunch and I set about starting to clean Norfolk Lady up.  We’d been left some boat cleaning products to try by the proprietor of our home yard, including some shampoo, so armed with a newly acquired deck scrubbing brush and a bucket, I attacked the grubby decks and cabin roof and was amazed at how well they came up.  I cannot say for sure how much difference the shampoo itself made, but I was well pleased with the results.

Debbie (the wife), had packed up the bits and pieces we needed to take back home and loaded the car.  We had a chat with one of the other owners at the yard, who have a boat similar to ours and chewed the fat with them for a while, before finally locking up Norfolk Lady at about 16:30 to visit Steve and Deb, who also recently completed the purchase of their boat, which is also moored in Brundall.

Id booked a table at The Ferry House for dinner, so took our leave in time to drive to Surlingham, where we enjoyed another good meal at one of our favourite Broadland pubs, before making the journey home to Northampton.

It was always a wrench at the end of a holiday leaving the area that both the wife and I have come to love over the years and now regard as our spiritual home but we’ll be back very soon for another weekend on our boat.  It’s a feeling that I never believed I would enjoy, but now we are in this fortunate position, it’s one that I fully intend to make the most of.

E19CCD4D-051A-41C1-A8DA-7F5F462767C6.jpeg

Absolutely amazing tale. I remember the first time we took Lightning out. It was October 14, and the weather was "inclement" to say the least. It was our first time on her, and it was a very windy October, with the highest tides i`ve ever seen on the Broads, so we stayed south. At one time, we were moored at Beccles YS and had a pleasant evening with Paul and Lorna (God rest her), yet during the nigh, we were up and down resetting the mudweight, adjusting mooring ropes, and trying to stop 43ft of heavy cruiser being blown over the quay heading in tides that were approaching 2ft OVER the quay heading. Talk about a baptism of fire?, but we thouroughly enjoyed our first week afloat.  

That first time when i boarded Lightning and unlocked the rear door and walked in, was by far and away the most satisfying time we`ve ever had on arrival to the Broads. She may be a syndicate boat, but she was ours, albeit inan affordable way. Now, as you say, the Broads are our, well certainly MY, spiritual home, and never feel more relaxed when i`m either cruising down the rivers, or just sitting down with a mug of tea at Langley dyke watching the Marsh Harriers gliding over the reeds and marshes.

Welcome to the world of Broads boat ownership.

Congratulations on your new boating ventures Malcom, you and Debs have earned it.

• Like 2

Now you own our own boat you will probably  find as with us that winter becomes just  a time for marking off the months till boating time arrives. Since retiring 19 years ago ( We retired quite early) we have used our boat as a second home with a routine of staying on board for 10-12 days at a time then home for a few days  - mow the lawn, do the laundry spend a day in London with the family then back again. Marvellous! We really do get the most out of Hot Gossip.  We originally moored on the Great Ouse, moving to the Broads in July 2010.  At that time we had a Sheerlne 950 aft Cockpit It pretty soon dawned on us that no longer being governed by the restrictions of locks we could have a bigger boat and the Sheerline 1050 Aft  cabin  was acquired in October 2010. We still have her But do wonder how long it will be before we feel we need something a little smaller thus easier to manage It will be with very heavy hearts that we will part with her when the time comes.

Carole

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Owning our own boat was an ambition I'd held for almost 50 years.  As time passed, the idea that it would be realised became more and more remote, however due to my wife's diligence, this has turned into reality.

I cannot express how lucky I feel.

Something we would love to do, but at the moment definitely is just a pipe dream. I wish you all the best on your new journey!

• Like 1

Boats do not take any money from you. it's that hole in (*******)  the water they make that costs a fortune!

Where do you moor in Brundall? not too far from Brian Wards to tire you, when,walking back with something you didn't know existed but simply must have for your new bank account drainer, don't forget your forum discount.

paul

• Like 2

Brian Ward. For a store with such small windows, they always see me coming!

my favourite game is “guess the price of the thing you asked for”

i always imagine how much it’s worth, then double it. By then I’m never much more than 50% under what the thing actually costs. 

Attach the word “boat” to a thing is like attaching the word wedding to a fruit cake 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hi Malcolm 

So glad you're enjoying your new boat. I hope to be joining you at some point in the full owners club, but look forward to seeing you and Mrs M around the rivers before then during our adventures.

You never know, I may even be tempted to head into the nearest bar and buy you a pint, whilst you convince me to buy the nearest available boat that's for sale :default_wink:

Take care all of you

Jay

12 hours ago, PaulM said:

Attach the word “boat” to a thing is like attaching the word wedding to a fruit cake 

Too damn right. Back in the early 90s, i wanted to buy some flourescent lights for my Pandora International. We lived near Leeds Castle in Kent, and Lee Davey Caravans was just up the road, so i went there. I bought 2  x 16 watt double tube flourescent light units for £26.00 (actually £12.95 each). Some weeks later, i needed to buy a couple of stop cocks, plus skin fittings and tail pieces, so went to one of the Chandlers in the Mudway towns. While there, i saw exactly the same light units, price?, .....£30 EACH. 

As you say, attach the word Boat.

I know Brian Wards gives us a discount, but if you`re anywhere near Brundall, or passing that way to your boat, there`s a caravan and accessories place on the OLD A47 to the east of Brundall / Blofield where you can buy things for boats at a fraction of the cost from chandlers.

Maybe if more people were to start buying bits from alternative suppliers, chandlers won`t be too keen to rip people off.

On 21/07/2019 at 20:54, ZimbiIV said:

. .

. . . Where do you moor in Brundall? not too far from Brian Wards to tire you, when,walking back with something you didn't know existed but simply must have for your new bank account drainer, don't forget your forum discount.

Not too far, was forced to visit whilst I was there the other week, but the bill on that occasion was not to painful.

22 hours ago, Jayfire said:

. . . . So glad you're enjoying your new boat. I hope to be joining you at some point in the full owners club, but look forward to seeing you and Mrs M around the rivers before then during our adventures.

You never know, I may even be tempted to head into the nearest bar and buy you a pint, whilst you convince me to buy the nearest available boat that's for sale :default_wink:

Thanks Jay.  We’ll look forward to meeting up with you at some point.  Being guided to a bar for a chat would be most agreeable.  It is our intention to be there every other weekend, so an opportunity should present itself quite soon.

I’m sure that you’ll achieve your dream one day, you’ll join the severely damaged wallet full owners club and enjoy it as much as we are. 

As for convincing you to buy a boat, I’m sure that would be easy and no high pressure sales techniques would be necessary😉.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Mouldy

Lovely tale I hope you enjoy your boat

Yes, we saw the Kings Arms and we drove out of Loddon after we handed Dawn back, that is a horrible green!

Never been attracted to go in, probably wont now with that pain job

As for owning a boat, it has crossed my mind several times, it's not the cost of buying or running as we could afford both, it's just how much we would use it

I still work full time, probably cut my hours back in a couple of years then maybe?

Mandy likes to do other things, so this year we will have done Venice, Lake District, Broads and Bordeaux 

Last year it was Barcelona, Cornwall, Broads and Naples 

However, I always to prefer floating around the Broads    :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We went to Brundall on Friday 26th July for the weekend and eventually arrived after a lengthy journey (due to two diversions caused by roadworks) at about 22:30.  We stopped at the Chinese takeaway (just as it started to rain), for some food before heading to the boat.  Food eaten, we unpacked the car and watched the TV for a while to digest our meal, before going to bed.

It rained all night and was still raining when we got up the following morning, so we got ready and wandered round to the Co-Op for a few supplies.  Fortunately, the rain had eased and there were just a few spits and spots by then.

We returned to Norfolk Lady and I set to work on the faded gel coat on the wheelhouse roof with some compound, wax and a polishing machine to see what sort of shine could be achieved.  It was quite a lengthy process and although I have machine polished cars before, I was not used to compounding gel coat, so was taking my time to make sure I didn’t make things worse.

We had some lunch and decided to go for a short cruise, so put the polisher away and set off along The Yare, heading for Langley Dyke.  There were a couple of other craft there, but plenty of room for us to moor.  The weather was grey and miserable, so we sat and relaxed for a while, grateful to be away from the noise and interruptions that make daily life so hectic.

It wasn’t long before the rain started again.  We had dinner, watched TV and had an early night.  It must be the Norfolk air that makes me so tired!

The rain was still falling on Sunday morning, so we took our time getting ready and had breakfast before it eased off.  I wanted to do some more polishing, so we set off for our moorings and headed back to Brundall, where I managed to finish working on the wheelhouse roof before the rain started again.

We needed to get home at a reasonable time, so packed up a few bits and pieces, loaded the car and went to The Yare for an early dinner, hoping for better weather for our next visit.  

The journey home was not the easiest, either, with a road closure and forced diversion extending our journey home.

Friday 9th August

So we arrived at Brundall at about 21:30 on Friday evening, stopped at the Chinese (again) for some food and drove round to the yard where we are moored.  We ate before unloading the car as usual, watched TV for a while and went to bed. 

Saturday dawned to a windy start, just as forecast. We showered and got ready, before wandering down to the Co-Op for some food supplies (again) and returning to the boat.  I had planned to spend some time compounding and waxing at least some more of the top of Norfolk Lady to restore some shine to the faded gel coat.  The continuing windy weather put paid to any hope of escaping for a cruise, so I managed to complete most of the top before giving up for the day, satisfied with my efforts.  We walked back to the Co-Op to buy some garlic bread and I felt compelled to stop at The Yare for a cheeky Ghost Ship on the way back. 

The wife prepared our meal, which we enjoyed with a couple of glasses of wine.  I was somewhat tired, due to the exertions of the day (and probably the wine) so went to bed early where I fell quickly and soundly asleep. 

It was bright and sunny when we woke on Sunday,  although still quite breezy, so we decided to have a short cruise up the river before having breakfast.  We managed to get away from the moorings and chugged up the dyke,  turning left onto The Yare.  Short Dyke was my intended destination and it didn't take too long to get there.  We moored up and my attention turned to cooking breakfast.

Once eaten and with the washing up done, we took the opportunity to relax for a while before heading back to the yard.  The weather had changed and the clouds had rolled in, but it wasnt raining.  I still had a little more polishing to do, together with a couple of other bits and pieces, which were completed before we had a brief, but heavy shower of rain.

Sadly, we packed the car, the weekend having passed far too quickly, but stopped at The Yare for a meal before leaving for home.

The next visit is planned for August Bank Holiday weekend.  Bring it on, but hopefully with some more clement weather for a change!!

5733EC3C-0599-4823-8549-02E9018B4DE7.jpeg

3E258938-9746-4DAB-9C30-5F1933E89AA2.jpeg

377584A2-1B4A-49D3-8126-64D5402E5456.jpeg

4DFBC9CC-E351-49B0-92F6-FC3CC66F97C1.jpeg

EEDC7D6B-0256-478F-9B7E-FE2133C6B4EF.jpeg

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Friday 9th August

So we arrived at Brundall at about 21:30 on Friday evening, stopped at the Chinese (again) for some food and drove round to the yard where we are moored.  

Incase you don`t know it is worth the short drive to Blofield for fish n chips. 

Opps, something went wrong with the edit.

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I would love to try the chippy on Blofield, but they close at 20:00.  By the time I leave work and make the journey, there is only the Chinese still open!

1 hour ago, Seagypsy said:

Certainly is but you could have shown it before you ate the saussage and black pud LOL

As much as I like black pudding and sausages, I like to keep the breakfast (relatively) healthy.  Bacon grilled and scrambled eggs, tomatoes sauteed in a squirt of  one cal.  See - healthy!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

When we bought Norfolk Lady, the plan was to go to The Broads every other weekend at the moment, so the wife worked out on which weekends we should visit to ensure we were able to make use of the extra day over August Bank Holiday weekend.  Up until now, every other weekend has brought strong winds, rain, grey skies or a combination of any of them. . . . . . . . . . . . . until this one.

I’d been looking at the weather forecasts and was hopeful that we may be lucky and boy were we lucky.  How fantastic was that?  Blue skies and soaring temperatures - just glorious.  It even made suffering the Bank Holiday traffic getting there worthwhile.  We even managed to get to the Blofield chippy in time to sample their wares on Friday evening and it has to be said that as fish and chip shops go, it is very good indeed.  Large cod and regular chips twice was the order and we rushed to the boat to eat them, even before unpacking the car.

We’d had some curtain rails installed in the wheelhouse and the wife had made some curtains to go across the doors at the stern, so we hung those before having our customary hot drink and going to bed.

We had planned to go to either Beccles or Oulton Broad, but other events and a lack of available moorings put paid to that, so we took our time to get ready, wandered round to the Co-Op for a few essential supplies.  Once again, the lure of Brian Wards drew me in to buy a couple more essentials before returning to Norfolk Lady.  We started up, cast off and headed out of the yard and onto The Yare.  We intended to overnight at Pyes Mill, but as we had some time to kill, we headed through Bargate (where thick weed was clearly visible through the clear water) turning right onto the main river and through Brundall before heading for Hartley Cross and The Chet.  

The river was busier than I can ever remember seeing, hardly surprising given that it was a Bank Holiday.  We made good progress, enjoying the weather and arrived at Pyes Mill around 14:00.  It was busy, but we managed to squeeze in between two other private craft.  We chatted to the owners for a while before wandering into town, where I suffered the onset of a dreadful thirst and was forced to call into The Kings Head for a cheeky pint before carrying on!

Thirst quenched, we carried on to the church and headed through the lanes and back to the boat.  We sat in the well at the stern and chilled, before having a salad for dinner washed down with fermented grape juice.  We sat outside until after the sun set, before turning in for the night.

Sunday morning dawned and I pulled some clothes on and went out with my camera to record the sunrise.  The early morning mist soon burned off to reveal another gorgeous day.  We had breakfast before showering and wandered back into Loddon to walk the dog and collect a couple of bits from the Co-Op.  Once back to the boat, we cast off and topped up with water at Pacific Cruisers.  Heading back up The Chet, we saw Moonlight Shadow moored at Pyes Mill, so slowed down to exchange a few words with Helen (Ynys Mon) and her husband. We carried on to Hardley Cross and turned left.

I had thought about mooring at Short Dyke, but did check Langley Dyke on the way, which was full.  Rockland it was then!  All of the BA moorings were full, but we managed to find a spot close to the broad itself, with quay heading, but using our rhond anchors.  After a while, we walked round the Broad to the staithe, where once again an overwhelming thirst got the better of me and we called into the New Inn for a cooling beer.  We were tempted by the food there, but we had supplies on the boat, so headed back.

We sat at the stern again and had our meal ‘al fresco ‘ as the sun went down.  I had been busy with my camera and taken a few shots of the sunset.  A proliferation of flying insects eventually forced us sadly into the boat.  It must have been the heat, but we were both tired, so had another early night.

I was up early on Monday.  Dressed and with camera in hand, I went out to commit another magical sunrise to memory card.  We had breakfast and cast off, heading for our home yard.  We moored, showered and got ready, before tidying the boat, packing up and heading for home.

It had been a wonderful weekend.  Beautiful sunsets, misty mornings and stunning sunrises - Broadland at its picturesque best.  

58EF75FC-DBD8-45F0-8F1C-993178550F01.jpeg

5CBF5FFC-E8CC-4222-92B3-E8851670EDE1.jpeg

07420816-A07E-4F5D-8DB2-7CBB9861B1BA.jpeg

30D0010D-1D80-4D7E-9661-7B7948BB01FB.jpeg

84B43D1F-3852-4470-8309-83D6A263343D.jpeg

D0D41EDD-A002-42CE-A6FD-2CDFD434B41D.jpeg

344E9582-535B-4992-A598-733C6EEE90CF.jpeg

DCB70A8F-1983-4E77-8517-45806A0E4276.jpeg

0D7AA2B6-98D2-4674-B45F-F169D34E63BA.jpeg

ADEE4041-8439-4876-B564-E6E8225676C1.jpeg

2C609ACB-E908-4923-A5F4-6C0A3ADE83BB.jpeg

0D43F330-8240-4752-B12E-EC6DFD14E410.jpeg