Carried Away By A Moonlight Shadow...

YnysMon

52 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

A recent (2023) version from Meggie Reilly.

I'll quite often stick a Mike Oldfield album on if I want something unobtrusive on in the background. I hate to think how many times I've listened to Moonlight Shadow over the years. In all those times, I completely failed to realise the theme for the lyrics until recently. What a very odd thing to base a song on!

I also failed to notice that Jon Anderson (Yes lead singer) does a guest vocal performance on a track on the same Oldfield Crises album, despite his distinctive voice and my being a huge fan. He's another one still performing and amazing for his age.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dom said:

I'll quite often stick a Mike Oldfield album on if I want something unobtrusive on in the background. I hate to think how many times I've listened to Moonlight Shadow over the years. In all those times, I completely failed to realise the theme for the lyrics until recently. What a very odd thing to base a song on!

Yes a very eerie thing but Oldfield later admitted that subconsciously Lennon's death was a trigger. (which a lot of people thought it was about) But Lennon was shot 4 times not six and at 10 pm not 4 am in the morning. And Oldfield had arrived That evening in New York and was staying just around the corner from the Dakota building.

Also the original version sung by Hazel O Connor was entitled Midnight Passion

• Like 5

When we first bought into the syndicate there was a CD on board that had several versions of ‘Carried away’ by different artists. That disappeared a couple of years ago. Presumably whoever put the CD on board sold their share. I must try to put together a Spotify list or something. . 

45 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

When we first bought into the syndicate there was a CD on board that had several versions of ‘Carried away’ by different artists. That disappeared a couple of years ago. Presumably whoever put the CD on board sold their share. I must try to put together a Spotify list or something. . 

Lots to choose from     https://www.whosampled.com/Mike-Oldfield/Moonlight-Shadow/covered/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, YnysMon said:

That was me. Unfortunately I lost the original compilation I made when one of my hard drives went down. I may have the individual files somewhere. I'll have a look.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webntweb said:

That was me. Unfortunately I lost the original compilation I made when one of my hard drives went down. I may have the individual files somewhere. I'll have a look.

That would be good. Thanks! You’ve no idea how much pleasure that CD gave us. Nothing better than cruising down river singing along to ‘Carried away’.

• Like 1