Springing Off Single Handed

Hello folks, your friendly random question asker here! ;)

I haven't had to do it *yet*, but I'm wary of the day I'm stuck on a public mooring somewhere and wedged between 2 boats.  I've got a couple of big balloon fenders and was looking at various springing off techniques. It all seems pretty straightforward (famous last words), except, often I'll be single handed in a big old Bayliner.

With that in mind, I was looking at ways to release the slip line from the cockpit and saw some folk suggest a highwaymans hitch, but others saying when they tried it, occasionally the friction was too great and it didn't release. Somewhere else I saw a snap hook and trip line suggested but I don't see any prefabricated ones for sale anywhere... soooo, anyone got any good suggestions? Or just go with the highwaymans hitch and see how I get on?

Thanks

Tom

I tend to untie, loop round a post and bring the end back to the cockpit, spring the stern out with a shove as I board, then when its clear, flick the rope off the post as I reverse out. not so good if the wind is holding me in, but its not been a problem yet.

if on a boat like Jayne 2 from marthams where you can usually reach the post through the open front window, just round the post and back to the cleat, where you can release as you need.

I mostly hire solo nowadays and preparation is the thing, think through what you are going to do and do it calmly and methodically, making sure if you are casting off that the ropes you will need to moor up later end up where they are required. take things calmly and slowly, if it takes two or three attempts before you are happy with the way things are progressing it takes two or three attempts, never refuse an offer of assistance when single handed, a spare pair of hands always comes in handy.

• Like 1

As Grendel included in his reply, making sure ropes are where they are needed when next needed, also getting into the habit making sure that ropes are safely stored each time. When leaving and arriving at moorings there are many things to think about, and it’s easy to just leave the ropes  laying somewhere until you have a minute, only to find they’re trailing behind you at best and around your prop at worst. Enjoy your boating. 

• Like 1