Standards

Chelsea14Ian

21 minutes ago, grendel said:

a lot of my tv time is spent watching talking pictures tv, good films (with proper plots) and good standards too for the most parts, its that or youtube restoration videos, - its no wonder i spend time tinkering in my workshop and making model boats. (at least that is a break from the forum too.)

There is some excellent viewing to had there Grendel! I watched a lovely filum this week by John Schlesinger called  "Terminus" about a day in the life of Waterloo Station. Look forward to many more. "The Bargee" is being shown later today!

1 hour ago, grendel said:

a lot of my tv time is spent watching talking pictures tv, good films (with proper plots) and good standards too for the most parts, its that or youtube restoration videos, - its no wonder i spend time tinkering in my workshop and making model boats. (at least that is a break from the forum too.)

I love the ones where they build the cedar strip canoes, they look absolutely amazing. 

2 hours ago, addicted said:

we see more incidents of  missing good manners among our own generation lately

Sadly I think that’s very true. I was picking out some veggies in a supermarket when a fairly elderly gent barged in front of me and grabbed something. I muttered ‘manners maketh man’ to which a lady asked me to repeat what I had said to her husband. I did so and she then told me I shouldn’t have been standing there anyway! Manners cost nothing but I do think they make life a lot more pleasurable. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grendel said:

TPTV is brilliant for old b&w movies (autocorrect changed that to B&Q which really would have caused a bit of head scratching!). It does make me smile when they now say at the start of virtually every film, this film may contain scenes of a distressing nature or which may offend. As if in the 40s something in a film would cause offence!
I recorded a film recently you might appreciate grendel. Called A Canterbury Tale, it was a 1944 ww2 film and had some of the best shots of Canterbury I have seen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VetChugger said:

There is some excellent viewing to had there Grendel! I watched a lovely filum this week by John Schlesinger called  "Terminus" about a day in the life of Waterloo Station. Look forward to many more. "The Bargee" is being shown later today!

If it comes around again watch "The Painted Boats" It depicts a story of a family running a horse drawn narrowboat and latterly converted to a motor boat on the canals during WW2. Along with "The Bargee" it shows some interesting shots of the canals in their day. "The Bargee" was a light hearted story with Harry H Corbett but "The Painted Boats" was more historical.

Incidentally, and totally off topic (apologies) if you ever get anywhere near a narrowboat with one of those old Bolinder engines as fitted in those days it is a wonderous sound. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I recorded a film recently you might appreciate grendel. Called A Canterbury Tale, it was a 1944 ww2 film and had some of the best shots of Canterbury I have seen. 

I recorded that too, even though I also have the dvd of it, a very good film showing the effects of the bombing on the city, (and how miraculously the cathedral escaped without damage.)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Minigem said:

If it comes around again watch "The Painted Boats" It depicts a story of a family running a horse drawn narrowboat and latterly converted to a motor boat on the canals during WW2. Along with "The Bargee" it shows some interesting shots of the canals in their day. "The Bargee" was a light hearted story with Harry H Corbett but "The Painted Boats" was more historical.

Incidentally, and totally off topic (apologies) if you ever get anywhere near a narrowboat with one of those old Bolinder engines as fitted in those days it is a wonderous sound. 

Yes I remember 'The Bargee', Harry H Corbett was the skipper with Ronnie Barker as his mate.  I remember Harry Hs name was 'Hemel' because he was named from where he was born (Hemel Hempstead), and the line where he tells someone why he's called, and Ronnie Barker replies "good job you was'nt born in Birkhampstead then ain't it'. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

Sadly I think that’s very true. I was picking out some veggies in a supermarket when a fairly elderly gent barged in front of me and grabbed something. I muttered ‘manners maketh man’ to which a lady asked me to repeat what I had said to her husband. I did so and she then told me I shouldn’t have been standing there anyway! Manners cost nothing but I do think they make life a lot more pleasurable. 

The motto of Winchester College and New College Oxford. There is confusion as to who to attribute the saying to, William Horman a Head Master of Eton who also taught at Winchester or William of Wykeham a Bishop at Winchester Cathedral.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, grendel said:

Talking Picture and YouTube restoration videos, snap! :default_biggrin: