Favourite Moorings?

YnysMon

11 hours ago, SwanR said:

Anywhere where you can hear owls is amazing ... I never hear them at home. 

And hearing the cuckoos is another special moment for me.

We are spoiled with that. We get the cuckoos and owls at home and have spent many an hour on the boat at Fiskerton Fen on the Witham watching the barn owls hunting.

• Like 1

It's a great thread

For me a great mooring has to be either outside a pub or within walking or rowing to one!  

I love summertime. sitting in a pub garden pint in hand watching boats go by, so one in the south one in the north

The Ferry House Surlingham - IMO best pub and mooring (especially now the quay heading is repaired) on the broads without exception, lovely garden very dog friendly, great food and beer, Sonia and her staff are so welcoming and you can book a mooring. So that's where we'll be heading first night of the holiday

The Ferry Stokesby - bit too much to watch last year, including me leaving Mandy on the bank, but again good food good beer and homemade chocolates to boot. Very dog friendly and handy for crossing or having crossed Breydon 

• Like 6

Wonderful topic but do difficult to choose due to the many different reasons why a mooring is good, but here goes

Coltishall as I just love the run up there

Salhouse as the place is idyllic

Cockshoot is s wonderful spot which is quiet but close to so much

Ludham Bridge due to the walks and area

Neastished as this part of the broads is just stunning and the White horse brilliant

Dilham..small, but worth it!

Sutton Staithe as the green and pub is a must visit

Acle as the Bridge Inn, Pedro's and the walks are well worth a visit

Oulton Broad as the park is exceptional and the racing a great spectacle

Ferry House, Surlingham as it's one of the very best

Loddon, beautiful surroundings and village

Beccles, great Suffolk Town

• Like 4

Brilliant post Tempest. Lots of options, and lots of different reasons why they are good in their individual character.

I must put in a word for the wild mooring near the entrance to Womack Dyke. We also love overnighting in Hunter’s Yard (sorry, only sailies allowed).

• Like 1

Nestled on a little reed rhond somewhere around the fringes of Hickling broad, far enough away from the channel so any night sailors swell will just serve as to rock me to sleep, though rarely do I need that much help, preferably with a full moon and sky full of stars, a port hole ajar so the wildlife sounds can permeate my pillow zzzzzz..... and rays of light shine through a gap in the awning after sunrise. Bliss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1