Favourite Moorings?

YnysMon

There are so many lovely places to moor on the Broads. I’d be interested to know which you think are really special and why. It might be because they have good amenities close by, or maybe are quiet and peaceful, or maybe have some special memory for you. Please share your favourite moorings with us.

• Like 3

That's a very difficult question to answer Helen. I have so many favoured places, the first is Loddon, because it was the very first time we hired a boat from Aston, and I've had a love like no other for it ever since. Add to that the town Quay has water and 240v, plus great eateries, shops, takeaways etc, it ticks all boxes. Then there's Dilham Staithe, being very quiet and peaceful with very little in the way of facilities, but lovely. Womack Water gets a nod, very sociable, and with good shops and a pub in the village. Hoveton Viaduct moorings, for stunning Riverside location, plus all the village facilities 5 minutes walk. There are lots more, but in reality, they're all pretty special. 

• Like 3

Oh Helen what a lovely topic 

When I was a little girl I remember crossing the 'sea' and mooring up at the Berney Arms. Having a real beer shandy and a packet of crisps sitting outside with my Dad watching the boats go by. At night it had an eerie feel but in a good way if that makes sense, the sounds of the water and wildlife will stay with me always

More recently the moorings at Potter opposite HW, roof back with a glass of wine, feeding the ducks and watching the world go by, I know Potter gets a bad wrap sometimes but I think it's a lovely little place to moor

Jay and Grace x

• Like 4

There's so many moorings I love it's hard to know where to start. On the north Broads if I had to pick it would be either Coltishall Lock or Salhouse for different reasons. I love Coltishall for the complete peace and I love Salhouse for the complete opposite! On the south it would be either Langley Dyke or Surlingham Broad mudweighting.

• Like 2

I couldn't decide a favourite mooring, mainly we like to be away from pubs etc. (I know that's unusual) but we're not unique. I would say along with Mark above that our home moorings are perfect for me, in that in having virtually no facilities it has everything. When we had engine trouble just sitting on the bank was a treat in itself, now we are moving again, we appreciate other places very much but when we arrive back at our mooring, the holiday hasn't finished until we drive home. As I couldn't think of a favourite and cannot really think of one I wouldn't like. It's the Broads, we are so fortunate to own a boat and can use it -every moment is precious. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the contributions so far. Not surprised that Mark thinks his home mooring at Brundall Gardens is the best, having been past several times. We like the Brooms mooring that Moonlight Shadow is on too, with stern facing the river.

I’m with Grace though, those first impressions of the Broads never leave you. Our first ever night was mud weighted on Hickling Broad on a very warm and still midsummer night. That was in 2014 though, not until we were in our mid 50’s. You could say I had a deprived childhood. (Not really, just as far as the Broads are concerned!)

• Like 5

Irstead because its, well its just lovely. 

Stracey Arms. We don't notice the road noise. I’m fascinated/mesmerised  by just watching the tidal flow. Maybe I’m just weird but I could stay there for hours watching the river doing its thing.

Entrance to Thurne Dyke so we can watch the world go by and the incredible sunsets.

• Like 8

There are so many places. My first trip was back in the 90s with our children but I discount that and consider that really my love for the Broads started when Mr SwanR and I came back in 2012. I had the good fortune to have picked Swan Reflection from Swancraft. And my first mooring was Bramerton Common. I was so nervous about mooring but a lovely couple on a private boat helped us out. 

And here's a photo from that first night ... when the Waters Edge was still the Wood's End pub.

P1040449.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

There's so many moorings I love it's hard to know where to start. On the north Broads if I had to pick it would be either Coltishall Lock or Salhouse for different reasons. I love Coltishall for the complete peace and I love Salhouse for the complete opposite! On the south it would be either Langley Dyke or Surlingham Broad mudweighting.

Langley Dyke?, place is a real dump, don't go there everybody, you won't like it at all :default_icon_liar:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Our first ever mooring was Irstead, many years ago, so that is always special, particularly now when finding it free is like winning the lottery! Our favourite moorings are wild moorings especially when you find a spot that will only take one boat. 

The island at Salhouse is great, just on the corner where the big pleasure boats come in at night, so much to see there, wonderful wildlife when it quietens down and in the early evening the boats on the shore having fun, kids shouting, dogs barking.... then the evening pleasure boats pass close by, more wildlife lol

• Like 5

Like Gracie, we used to love Berney Arms.We would go there from Brundall, moor for the night, and catch the tide the next morning. For us the start of ours hols.So sad it's gone now.If I was 20 years younger with a few Bob,I would be tempted to have the pub.Sadly I'm not.Now one of our favourites is Loddon, love the Whitehorse. In fact we retire next year and intend to move to Norfolk. Loddon/Chegrave is on our list of places to live. Also The Ferry House Surlingham is great for weekend.Must ho there 5 or 6 times a year if not more.That said there are many places we love.

• Like 4

This is quite a thought provoking topic indeed. In recent years we have stuck to the Northern Broads, but I do have very happy memories of mooring at Beccles on our honeymoon in 1972! On the North, there are so many, but Ranworth is a very favourite place and we love Gayes Staithe for the peace and the fishing, Hoveton Viaduct for the fishing, Womack Water for the peace and the fishing (is there a theme here?), oh, and Thurne Dyke for the peace and the fishing.

Chris

• Like 4

That's a difficult question as there are so many good moorings.

On the North it would probably be St Bennetts on a warm summers day watching the sun go down with a tipple to hand.

On the South  we really liked the Commisioners Cut with great walks for the dog and a good curry house just down the road.

But there are many other places we love to moor such as Coltishall, Stalham Staithe, How Hill, Stokesby, Loddon, Reedham, Norwich, well pretty much everywhere. I think it would have been easier to ask for our least favourite mooring.

• Like 3

Southern:

Bramerton Common, Short Dyke (Rockland), Langley Dyke (agree with Neil, horrible place), Pyes Mill, North Cave and The Ferry House for the pub.

Northern

How Hill, Paddy’s Lane, Johnny Crowes Staithe, Thurne Dyke, Womack Dyke, Fleet Dyke (South Walsham), Stokesby (BA moorings).

• Like 1

DTG Oulton Dyke, Hardley Mill, Womack Dyke, Fleet Dyke, Rockland Short Dyke and Langley Dyke. But then I like North Cove and Worlingham too! Anywhere there are good walks for the dogs I suppose but never at what I call stern-on ‘sardine’ moorings. (Apart from mooring for water, shopping etc.) As Cal said, it would be easier to list our least favourite moorings!!

• Like 2

I can't think of "favourite" places I love most of them. The nearest I can do is note my two "least favourites" The 24 hour mooring between Wroxham road bridge and the railway bridge, I only use if I need the shops, very rarely do I use it overnight.

Now, Here's where I will get shot at by the majority. I'm not keen on the Bridge Inn at Acle, either the pub or it's mooring, and again, rarely go there.

Well here I am sitting at home thinking about all the moorings on the broads trying to think of one I didn't like. I need longer to think of one...   there must be one.... somewhere.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1