Interior Deck Varnish

Owatrol make the stuff D1 and D2 - the D1 is the one you would want but it is unusual in that you have to apply it wet on wet, and as many coats as you can until its saturated. It does dry as a satin coat but it is quite durable and very easy to patch or refresh it - just sand very very lightly and apply another coat.

All down to you really!!!

Decisions, decisions!!

I've tried most things over time and short of grit in the varnish I've yet to find a good, purpose made non slip product. That said does internal varnish need to be non-slip? Even with bilge water swilling over the cabin sole during a blow?

I agree that Owatrol is really good but a couple of years I discovered Danish wood oil, a product to which I have been well and truly converted. Both products ideally need to be applied to bare wood but it is well worth the effort. 

Another vote from us for Danish Oil, as many coats as you can, flatted between each with 0000 wire wool looks and lasts well, only needing a quick touch up every year or so. I was put on to it a gnarly old French polisher who did our work social club bar 20 odd years ago.

You have got me thinking!!!!! 
Phill and I are spending many hours stripping down Brilliant’s topsides, maybe we could go Deks Olje, it is a really hardworking finish for wood. It is easy to apply and fairly non slip as compared to your traditional 6 coats(+) of varnish.  
No it is not cheap, but neither is decent varnish. 
Hmmmm.

• Thanks 1

I used a whole can of danish oil on my worktops in my shed, thats the plywood sacrificial ones over the oak boards, ok if i drill there i do go through the surface, but i generally use scrap sheet for that, so although they have got dirty, they are still going strong after many years now.

• Like 1