Maintenance Of Bow Thruster & Manoeuvrability

Andrewcook

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I agree with Andy that it is very difficult to retro-fit a bow thruster to a boat already built and on some designs, such as the Bounty 37, it is almost impossible, although I have seen it done!

Agree, I know of a yard that fitted one last year to a Bounty 37 and it was tight for room but works well. Coupled with the stern thruster and remote controls the new owner should be able to operate the boat like a radio controlled model and glide into spaces. 

2 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Agree, I know of a yard that fitted one last year to a Bounty 37 and it was tight for room but works well. Coupled with the stern thruster and remote controls the new owner should be able to operate the boat like a radio controlled model and glide into spaces. 

Literally ! - https://www.dockmatedirect.com/

I seem to remember that Hockham Admiral (was that Friday Girl?) had bow and stern thrusters, all on remote too. (Maybe HA can confirm?) An absolute godsend for the solo helmsman or someone who might need a bit more help due to mobility issues. With all these things to help, it does mean people can continue boating for longer. 

• Like 5

Just found this in the instruction manual. Sidepower.

The maximum continues run time of the electrical thruster is approximately 3 minutes 

The primary purpose of the thruster is to manoeuvre/ dock the vessel. Forward/ reverse speed must not exceed 4 knots when operated.

These thrusters seem to be very well made to operate upto 3 mins.

I don't think I've used mine for more than 3 or 4 seconds.

Colin :default_beerchug:

6 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Agree, I know of a yard that fitted one last year to a Bounty 37 and it was tight for room but works well. 

You can fit them to anything, but sometimes they are external and would not last long on a hirefleet.

podthuster.jpg

externalthruster.jpg

Yes, people really do fit those unfortunately.....

Obviously, this is going to last a lot longer.

tunnelthruster.jpg

Contrary to the perceived wisdom given by posters on this thread I do find my bow thruster a useful tool for maintaining heading on the river.

So the method on my 32 footer is to set the throttle to about 2000revs which equates to between 3.5 and 5.5 mph over the ground dependent on current, secure the wheel with a bungee to stop the rudder wandering and take the control for the thruster to the cabin top (it has a long wiring loom).  I then sit ontop enjoying all the benefits of an upper helm position without all the expense of retro fitting dual controls or loss of airdraft.

Am not talking about continuously using it to steer but find that at these river speeds just an occasional blip of a second or so will just nudge the bow a degree or two in the required direction.

Not to be recommended on the Chet or the New Cut or Horning on regatta day but on the wide expanses of the main rivers it works great.

So if you see me and it looks like the boat has no-one at the helm  - Look Mum, no hands ! - it actually is under control.

To answer the OP's question, With all the advantages and assistance  a thruster gives when mooring, especially single handed, and with the electric windlass these are the best two handling improvements i've made since my boat's hire fleet days.

( I will give a Boulters a plug here as they retrofitted both these items to the boat very professionally ).