Which Tv Aerial

PaulN

Any advice please on which is the best TV aerial. The one we inherited when we bought the boat is an Ultraspectra, which I can extend on aluminium poles to about 2½ m above the cabin roof and have since added a cheap booster from Argos 

http://www.unispectra.co.uk/product.php?p=UNI-220670

Reception varies so much, at Ranworth I can get nothing, at Horning Staithe, lots of channels, at Horning Pleasurecraft Marina ITV1 only etc.

I don't want to go to the expense of a Satellite Tracker, but would appreciate any views e.g. can anyone get reception at Ranworth BA moorings?

I've had several over the years and this is by far the best.

3 of us have now got them in our yard at Beccles.

https://www.youboatmarine.com/ballade---tv-antenna---dvbt--tnt---12v-1794-p.asp?gclid=CjwKCAiA8ov_BRAoEiwAOZogwZeNbvSl45NKJTfR2t8K8_kEcWK_22xIdHacWy-PVxN8t6gmkx743xoCH3cQAvD_BwE

Good reception just on the roof where i had to have others 3mtr high to get a reception over the sheds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

We tried various of the newer aerials but found , for us, the one that worked by far the best was the more traditional type below , yes it’s directional but we find we get good reception most areas , including Ranworth where you point it between the church and the pub .

799643F4-5B97-4B95-B0A6-2BFC837E1563.jpeg

Same for me on Chiltern Lady. Also find the antenna finder app helpful for pointing it in the right direction😎

Thank you so much everyone for sharing your expertise.

JM - Sorry, but we already have  microwave on board, really useful, especially when defrosting from the freezer so that I can have a quick meal and be ready to watch Spurs on my laptop via the internet  :default_biggrin:

• Haha 2

I took the base off the 'Tennis Ball' disposed of it, then fitted it onto an aluminium pol with the coax threaded inside the pole.  Cut a groove in the bottom of the pole and the same in the corresponding footplate that I mounted on top of the mast behind the anchor light.  Then a watertight through roof fitting which is connected to a coax all the way back to the helm where it is fed its 12v supply, then a surface mounted coax plug.  It's them a simple procedure of slotting the pole into the base and plugging the coax into the roof fitting.  This gives it extra height which is always a bonus.  Stowing it away when not in use is simple as its' only a pole with a 'Tennis Ball' on one end

Hope this helps

Griff

BA NBN 589.JPG

BA NBN 590.JPG

BA NBN 592.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 23/12/2020 at 16:19, CambridgeCabby said:

We tried various of the newer aerials but found , for us, the one that worked by far the best was the more traditional type below , yes it’s directional but we find we get good reception most areas , including Ranworth where you point it between the church and the pub .

799643F4-5B97-4B95-B0A6-2BFC837E1563.jpeg

Thank you CC, I bought this aerial from Screwfix and tried it out today. Previously our 4 times more expensive flying saucer type could not pick up anything at Ranworth where I met you this morning. 

Its absolutely perfect, we can get every channel. Thank you again

Paul (Bon Bon)

• Thanks 1