Reacting To Government Announcement- New Holiday Plans

YnysMon

Well today has been busy, work wise and planning wise.

Despite most of the day being taken up with online work meetings, I managed to book our Covid jabs. First one week on Saturday, second one toward the end of May.

I had a message from the company I’d booked with for a self-catering holiday. This holiday was for our extended family (seven of us including us and my cousins). They confirmed we wouldn’t be able to take up our 14th May holiday. How frustrating...seems that we are just a few days short of when that would be allowed! On the other hand we were offered the option of an e-voucher or full refund, which was more flexible than what they offered us last year. This was a booking postponed from May last year. Luckily, after a lot of discussion over the phone this evening between our three households I’ve managed to re-book (once again) for September. Phew!

At least it looks like we’ll be allowed on Moonlight Shadow for the first week of May (another message received today). Whoopee!

Maybe I can calm down now. The last day or so we’ve been on tenterhooks, wondering how the announcement on lockdown lifting plans would work out in reality.

Not so bad really, considering. Things are looking up. 

• Like 7

Glad to hear that you have been able to make these arrangements Helen. Lovely to have things to look forward to. Of course our short break booked for 8th March is now definitely off. We aren’t booking anything else. I’ve delayed my time off work and we now plan to get to the caravan as soon as we can. And then have some days away visiting family later in the year. That will do for me. And who knows, if we get a sunny day maybe we can throw in an occasional day boat. 

• Like 3

The occasional day boat sounds like a great idea Jean. Especially if you book somewhere accessible to ‘the other sides’ above ‘the bridges’. The weather really seems to be perking up...at least for us in the East. (My cousins in Anglesey have been suffering still.)

We had a wonderful (summer) day a few years back hiring from a boatyard in Hickling. We managed to get to Horsey and West Somerton and even up Catfield Dyke between a 9am pick-up and 5pm hand-back.

If I was thinking about a day boat in future I would probably consider a boat from Wroxham (sorry...teaching Granny to suck eggs) for the delights above the two bridges, from Beccles for a delightful trip up to Geldeston or Weyford Bridge up to Dilham.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SwanR said:

And who knows, if we get a sunny day maybe we can throw in an occasional day boat. 

Jean, have you tried the dayboat from Southwold yet? You can go for a blast out to sea but there is also a super trip up to Blythburgh, very sedate it is too, highly recommended.

https://coastalvoyager.co.uk/the-trips.html

• Thanks 2

The coastal voyager trip looks good fun but very wet(they give you waterproofs), they have come and played in my wake a few times when the sea state hasn't been exciting enough, most disconcerting the first time when they look like they are coming through the back of the boat but they don't actually get too close or daft till you give them the thumbs up to show you're not being terrorised by it, then the fun starts.

For the first time in a long time we have absolutely no idea what we are doing for holidays this year :default_blink:

Our Easter trip on the Thames has been cancelled and we had nothing else booked for the rest of the year. It will very much be a wait and see year for us. 

We don't really want to book anything because we don't know when we will find the right motorhome for us.

If it starts getting a bit late in the year with nothing cropping up we will probably book a week on a boat on the Broads. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

For buying a motorhome you'd be better off waiting till foreign flights are unrestricted as the prices will likely plummet as all the ones snapped up last year come up for sale.

That's what we were thinking.

We know what we want at least. Now just have to find it. The few that are currently for sale are too old (they vastly improved the spec from 2017 onwards) or have far too many miles on them.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

For buying a motorhome you'd be better off waiting till foreign flights are unrestricted as the prices will likely plummet as all the ones snapped up last year come up for sale.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about replacing our caravan next year !

We have a very old and very shabby caravan, bought about 8 years ago when the children had started school and we realised how much holidays during school holidays were going to cost! Last summer we had two different people knocking on the front door asking if we would like to sell it!