Murray Walker Rip

Mouldy

So sad to hear of the passing of Murray Walker.  His errors whilst commentating were sometimes hilarious, but one cannot deny his enthusiasm for his sport, which was so evident in his commentaries.  I will never forget the end of the Japanese Grand Prix in 1996 when Damon Hill secured the World Championship and Murray was unable to continue as his emotions took control.

He was, to me, the voice of motorsport, for whom there will be no replacement.

• Like 5

Sadly another  great commentator of sport passing away.Yes indeed he sometimes made mistakes, but a real love of racing.Steve Rider said this morning. Often before a race,he would  have the largest  roast dinner seen.Then work it off during the race.

RIP Murray.

The voices of the latter day sports presenters always remind me of my youth and growing up with a sport-mad grandfather. David Vine, Frank Bough, David Coleman, Peter O’Sullevan, Harry Carpenter and the guy (whose name escapes me) who always did the football results on tv at 5pm on a Saturday. Many others too whose voices were the comforting sounds of home. Too long ago now sadly...........☹️

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

The voices of the latter day sports presenters always remind me of my youth and growing up with a sport-mad grandfather. David Vine, Frank Bough, David Coleman, Peter O’Sullevan, Harry Carpenter and the guy (whose name escapes me) who always did the football results on tv at 5pm on a Saturday. Many others too whose voices were the comforting sounds of home. Too long ago now sadly...........☹️

That will be James Alexander Gordon. Did the results for 40 years to 2013. Died in 2014 through throat cancer.

• Thanks 1

Guest Jayfire
17 minutes ago, FairTmiddlin said:

That will be James Alexander Gordon

I remember taking my break at 4:45 on a Saturday afternoon, when I was the best  t̶r̶o̶l̶l̶e̶y̶ ̶p̶u̶s̶h̶e̶r̶ car park manager that Morrisons had ever had, to listen to J.A.G read the full time scores as I sat in my clapped out Fiat Uno, eating a 5 pack of Jam doughnuts and downing a litre of cherryade, before I finished work at half 7 and went straight out "round town" till the early hours.

Great times and memories :default_drinks:

It was a sad day when MW retired from commentating on F1, he made the programme along with Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain'

Murray developed a bit of a reputation for commenting on how well a driver was performing, only to see them spin off at the next corner, or worse. I remember Damon Hill when he won the World Championship saying  that all he could think about on the last lap was 'Don't say anything Murray'

RIP Murray, you made the sport very special.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...