Hello To All

kpnut

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I need to earn some money as am quickly realising just what is said about boat ownership and empty pockets.

Boat:-

Bung

On

Another

Thousand

Griff

indeed, learning fast!

Welcome. If you have an electronic/electrical whizz to call on, you may not need an expensive solution to your bowthruster remote. All you need is to identify the leads from the switch that powers it left or right, and use a generic remote switch. I did this on my boat, and also used it via a changeover switch to power the mudweight winch (as long as the winch has it's own relay unit). Like this: 

586180338_Screenshot(47).thumb.jpg.99ec1c7e04d75fabf84adaf6b9436bbc.jpg

I'm sure that's going to be extremely useful Regulo. He has already fitted remote for the diesel heater (no idea if that actually involved wires as I have no idea about these things) and a changeover switch for the fridge so it can run on shore power as well as 12V, and a charger that runs off shore power, but only after the solar has input its bit, so I expect he can make sense of your diagram. Very grateful to you and others for their suggestions. It'l be a discussion we have next month.

• 3 months later...
On 24/07/2021 at 23:44, floydraser said:

I'm really impressed you're a solo helm on a 35 footer and I'd love to know how you get on so I can develop my own confidence to get out there solo. Not sure I could manage an i-phone though. :facepalm:

Took me a bit of angst working out about the quote thing!

Floydraser- I've managed most of the time very well on my own. But was talking to Lulu this morning about making a right pig's ear of it yesterday morning at the BA moorings at Stokesby, where the tide was running extremely fast. I thought it through beforehand but my thinking was way off. Just glad someone had offered to help anyway. 

I've spent quite a bit of time out on Barton Broad finding out how the boat handles and pretending I'm stern-on mooring to a marker post. I'm sure many folks must have been wondering what the orange boat was doing going round and round, mainly in reverse!

Go for it, read and listen to advice, go slowly, think it through before and after a manoeuvre to learn from it, practice and go to 'easy' places for a while. I certainly wouldn't go through Yarmouth on my own, Just in case I needed to moor up unexpectedly, but am happy to do so when others are on board. I had a lovely 11 days in September 'down south' and will make it a once a year venture I think. Kate

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I've spent quite a bit of time out on Barton Broad finding out how the boat handles and pretending I'm stern-on mooring to a marker post. I'm sure many folks must have been wondering what the orange boat was doing going round and round, mainly in reverse

I need to be doing that. I’ve only moored up once with JanetAnne’s guidance when we first got Luna and haven’t tried since. I’ve always got an excuse - “Its too busy, it’s too windy, the tides too fast”.  I need to get a grip and really admire that you are learning by yourself. 

• Like 1

Each of our trips on Moonlight Shadow I have intend to practise reversing on a Broad. Have I done it yet? …no. On the other hand every time I do it for real it gets easier (unless there’s a hoolie blowing). I’ve discovered that one of the main advantages of being in a syndicate or owning your own boat is simply being familiar with how the boat handles. It’s such a disadvantage when hiring…used to take me two or three days to get used to the foibles of each boat. 

• Like 2

You watch-after all this talk of practice, advice etc, today will be the day for making a blunder! Back to home mooring and then trying to remember everything I need to do for leaving her safe for a few weeks till next visit.

Funny how each boat has its own individual quirks - no wonder people get so attached to them. 

• Like 4

Think this will be on topic and maybe of use especially the Spring Lines Mooring info at the start it was taken just before the Quay Attendants ended their season by a private boat owner. The rest of his videos are quite interesting too as he went down the old river at Thorpe on his way to Norwich.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Thank you Vaughan. I did say to someone the other week I either needed to grow taller or get a box to stand on to stick my head out of the sunroof! Your idea is much easier. 

If you’ve got a fixed double helm seat, you could stand on that and look out of the sunroof. (Wouldn’t advise it with a swivel seat though……:default_norty:)

Alternatively, how about a rear view mirror? I’ve seen quite a few fixed in various places, attached so they can be folded if need be for bridges etc.

I am spoilt for choice with a wing mirror on port side and a reversing camera! (both fitted by previous owner) so in theory should manage fine. One shows everything nearer than should be and other makes things look further away so took some getting used to. 
Mine is a swivel seat, I did try it once when I wasn’t on the move, as Vanessan says, a bit dodgy to say the least! I would much prefer a double bench seat so the dog can keep me company, he liked that on past hire boats. 
Looking forward to watching that video, I don’t have a centre cleat which I think I might need, another thing on my wish list. 
As for ropes, I took a rope to the fence posts at my allotment, along with videos and practiced. I have had a bit of a mental block with ropes since being in the brownies/guides where it always seemed overly complicated, so I just switched off. How I wish I’d taken more notice!
Thanks everyone for your welcome, back home now to reality. 

• Like 2