Water Rail Tlc

grendel

I thought I would start a new thread for Water Rails maintenance, as I have brought some homework back with me, Water Rails original mast needed some TLC, the worst bit was the masthead light on the top that was cock-eyed, it bugged me every time I looked at it. Anyway I bought the mast home and have stripped it to it's components, and started removing the old varnish, it turns out that under all that varnish it's quite a lovely piece of close grained Douglas fir ( I believe).

Sanding has been started, and it's a job I can do while working when I get a moment or two.

Brass parts will get cleaned up and polished then maybe a coat of lacquer to preserve the finish.

IMG_20210825_080939.jpg

IMG_20210825_081001.jpg

IMG_20210825_081019.jpg

16298758704381014304524.jpg

• Like 10

Sanding is nearing completion, just a few marks to get out still, meanwhile design is in process for the new mount for the mast topper, I have removed the existing cracked timber and am designing a new interface part, that needs to transition from square to round.

IMG_20210826_080930.jpg

• Like 2

Since the connection between the mast and top Bob were all cracked and misshapen I removed them and am working on a design for the new top connection, I am doing this first in cad and 3d printing prior to making it in timber, I need a smooth flowing shape, pleasing to the eye.

For me the slightly more inwardly curved shape looks better, so next to reproduce it in timber.

16300431833261303687700.jpg

IMG_20210826_203736.jpg

IMG_20210827_063751.jpg

IMG_20210827_063814.jpg

• Like 2

Unfortunately the lump of greenheart I had to hand wasn't quite as wide as I hoped, so the top is a bit narrower, but it gets the idea across, next to put a square hole right through for the mast to sit in, then some sanding and shaping

IMG_20210827_162123.jpg

• Like 1